Would i be able to handle a yz450f?

41 replies to this topic
  • waipuk78

Posted September 18, 2009 - 12:29 AM

its a tough call i would have to go with the others in saying take the step to the 250f get used to that and then take the step ,there is a big difference my 450 easily lifts the front wheel in top gear and is quite angry with power take the time to learn on the 250 then look again later

• rufusz

Posted September 18, 2009 - 01:43 AM

My first bike was (is, hopefully not too long) a 2002 YZ426F while I'm 5'9" and around 180lbs without gear. Maybe a 250f would have been better, I don't know. Friends said that you get used to the power of the 250f to soon. I know think that wouldn't happened in my case, since we ride almost entirely woods/enduro :busted: But now I've got used to the power of the 426 and probably won't go back to a 250, but to a 450 with electric start :thumbsup:

• rcdude33

Posted September 18, 2009 - 04:13 AM

will the 250fstill be able to lift the front wheel up in like 3rd gear or 4th?

• sic

Posted September 18, 2009 - 05:04 AM

will the 250fstill be able to lift the front wheel up in like 3rd gear or 4th?

if you can't lift the front wheel on a TTR125 (in 3rd or 4th gear) you don't really know how to ride a motorcycle effectively yet. a 450 for you would be a cruel joke (plus you would have a miserable time on it). even a 250f would be more than you can possibly handle at this time. but at least you would have some fun on it while you learn the basics of riding a motorcycle.

just an honest assessment....

Sic...

• yz007f

Posted September 18, 2009 - 06:26 AM

If you have to ask if you could handle it, then no you wont be able to...If your second guessing yourself or asking could I ride one of these then the answer is no. You will bust yourself up, start on a smaller bike and work your way up.

• TSmithCR250R

Posted September 18, 2009 - 07:05 AM

I made the jump last year... I was riding a 97 RM80 for like 5 years. I'm not rich so I decided to just get the big bike...rather than getting a 125 then eventually going to a 250 or 450f. So I bought an 03 CR250 2 stroke. I'd say it took longer to get used to the overall size, weight, and center of gravity of the bike compared to the power. Sure it took a while to get used to unannounced wheelies but I loved it!!! After 2 seasons of riding it, I feel very comfortable on it and don't regret jumping to the big bike. I figure I saved money....I knew I would want more power eventually so I decided to take it all at once.

haha...this is a Yamaha forum...?? This is just my .02 on making the JUMP. :busted:

• kain522

Posted September 18, 2009 - 08:52 PM

Nobody has ever called me "the man" before... I feel so honored :banana: :busted:

:thumbsup: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

• rcdude33

Posted September 19, 2009 - 06:16 AM

But i can handle my buddies 250 2 stroke, but the thing im not getting is power difference, does the 250 2 stroke just have more snap than the 450? Or is it the other way around? Because his bike is pushing almost 300cc, and he said i would be able to handle a 450, but i said idk. LIke whats the difference between them?

• bakeyz426f

Posted September 19, 2009 - 06:52 AM

2-strokes from what i understand dont have a smooth power delivery and the power comes at you all at once. i went from a honda xr100 to my yz426f and loved it. didnt have much problem at all getting used to the power, but im a pretty big guy( 6' 3'' and 230lbs) you might like the 250 better though.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 19, 2009 - 09:09 AM

But i can handle my buddies 250 2 stroke, but the thing im not getting is power difference, does the 250 2 stroke just have more snap than the 450? Or is it the other way around? Because his bike is pushing almost 300cc, and he said i would be able to handle a 450, but i said idk. LIke whats the difference between them?

The smoker will weigh less, has a narrower powerband.
Depending on how the 2 stroke is set up it can be low to midrange power or midrange and top end power.
Where the 4 stroke will pull hard all the way through from low end to top end RPM ranges. This makes the bike deceptively fast.
Either bike is a good bike:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • saccityfire

Posted September 19, 2009 - 09:38 AM

OK rcdude33... Just get the 450.

I have read very few replys to YOUR question that support the 450 move and almost everyone has tried their hardest to lead you in the right direction of the 250F. You continue to argue in favor of getting the 450 so get it.:thumbsup:

Don't be surprised when all of the 250F's are ripping around you in the corners because you just decided to "skip" the growth phase of your bike progression. No matter which 450 you choose, you will be on one of the most powerful MX bikes made and going to that from where you're at is foolish and will stunt your technique growth. You however will be the fastest guy in a straight line:lol: :banana: :banana:

Have fun whatever your choice. :busted:

• Sider_steve

Posted September 19, 2009 - 09:48 AM

Since we know absolutely nothing about "your buddies" 300cc 250 2 stroke,that you can handle. Did you ride it down the street? Did you spend half a day on it?
It sounds to me like you had your mind made up before you even posted this.
good luck with your choice

• trailrider95

Posted September 19, 2009 - 10:28 AM

if your having to ask the differnce between a 2 stroke an 4 stroke. you should probably stick withthe ttr,learn a little bit more about bikes, get the 250f learn how to ride on that,then get a 450 if you REALLY think you need more power,

its like learning to walk walmost,you gotta take the baby steps if you wanna ride good. if you get the 450,you'll probably be another one of those kids,eith the nice 450,who doesnt ride,because a)you have trouble startin,b)cant handle the power,c)think its to heavy, an will end up loosing all interest in riding,thats jus the way i see it

• kain522

Posted September 19, 2009 - 11:21 AM

Ok rcdude, it's like this. You are on the 450 forum. We all ride and love our 450s, and love bringing other riders into the fold. Yet, most everyone who replied to your post has stood by the idea of a 250F first. We really are trying to help. I guess it comes down to your future plans. If dirt riding is going to be a lifetime activity and/or you have plans to race, get the 250F. It will do the most for honing your skills and making you a better rider. If this is a passing phase and your looking to have one bad-ass bike, get a 450. You're not going to learn as much or learn it properly, but it will be a thrill ride you'll never forget. Good luck in your choice.

• minegun2

Posted September 19, 2009 - 03:50 PM

lol this kids funny.. dude dont get the 450, trust us. A 450 will kick your ass allover the place. Just because you can ride the bike hard in a straight line on flat ground dont mean shit. Any one can do that. but u wanting to go from a ttr125 to a 450, is just not very smart. Shure your bike will be fast on a straight, but trust us. Its gona kick ur ass. And like the other were saying, displacement in woods riding doesnt allways mean any thing. Any of us in this thread. Would end up handing your ass to you rideing a ttr125 vs u on a 450 or a 250f or 2502t. But if u want to become a better rider, get a 2T 125. it will teach u things a 250f wont teach u. And as dumb as it sound. it true, a 125 will teach u alot of things the other bike wont.

• motosingr

Posted September 20, 2009 - 03:20 PM

Ok. I am a 40 yr old female rider, who owns a KX100. This was my second season of riding and I have learned a lot. I rode my fiancee's YZ450F, and his KTM250F this past summer. I can honestly tell you that the difference between a trail type bike, and a motocrosser is night and day, which I'm sure you figured out when you rode your friend's bike. If all you have consistently ridden is a trail type bike, and you haven't had the time to really experience a motocrosser, I have to believe you would be making a grave mistake by going to a 450 at this point. I can honestly say that in my opinion a 450 is strictly for a rider with not only a lot of riding experience, but experience on a motocrosser of that calibur. I've ridden my KX100 now for a season, and I must say, I love it. It's no wimpy bike, and my fiancee', who has 30 plus years experience riding, and has raced motocross, agreed. If I was to go to a faster bike, (which I am planning on doing next season) it would be to a 250F. I rode the KTM250F and LOVED it! It had plenty of snort, and it's the bike that won many a motocross race both this year and last. For someone who hasn't had the experience riding a motocrosser, a 450F would get you hurt. The smartest thing you could do would be to gain your experience riding a 250F, and polish your riding skills, and THEN graduate to a 450F when your riding skills have been better perfected. Just trying to help you make a smart choice based on our own experiences. Best of luck to you.

• Adammoto

Posted September 20, 2009 - 06:38 PM

Lots of good advice up there.

• kain522

Posted September 21, 2009 - 07:44 AM

lol this kids funny.. dude dont get the 450, trust us. A 450 will kick your ass allover the place. Just because you can ride the bike hard in a straight line on flat ground dont mean shit. Any one can do that. but u wanting to go from a ttr125 to a 450, is just not very smart. Shure your bike will be fast on a straight, but trust us. Its gona kick ur ass. And like the other were saying, displacement in woods riding doesnt allways mean any thing. Any of us in this thread. Would end up handing your ass to you rideing a ttr125 vs u on a 450 or a 250f or 2502t. But if u want to become a better rider, get a 2T 125. it will teach u things a 250f wont teach u. And as dumb as it sound. it true, a 125 will teach u alot of things the other bike wont.

Not dumb at all. A 125 2t is without question the BEST training tool out there. And as a bonus, they're cheap to maintain, easy to work on, and nice used ones are around at some great prices. I wouldn't mind getting one to play on myself.

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2009 - 09:01 AM

I will disagree with that based on experience. My son was riding a small, pipey, high performance two-stroke, and not really doing that well with it, considering how long he had been on it. I bought him a YZ250F, and within 6 weeks, he had improved two years worth. The 250F takes the entire issue of power management off the table, leaving you only to learn chassis control. It has neither the explosive brute power of a 450, that has to be carefully applied, nor the narrow, fussy, on-off power of a small pinger, that requires constant attention to the engine speed in order to keep it in the right range.

In a year's time, it had got to the point that almost no one we ride with could get away from him, and new acquaintances thought he was riding a 426 until they took a closer look at the bike. There is no better platform to learn on than a modern 250cc 4-stroke MX bike. Their only draw back is that any major engine work that becomes necessary is more complicated and expensive.

• Luv2crash

Posted September 21, 2009 - 09:46 AM

I will disagree with that based on experience. My son was riding a small, pipey, high performance two-stroke, and not really doing that well with it, considering how long he had been on it. I bought him a YZ250F, and within 6 weeks, he had improved two years worth. The 250F takes the entire issue of power management off the table, leaving you only to learn chassis control. It has neither the explosive brute power of a 450, that has to be carefully applied, nor the narrow, fussy, on-off power of a small pinger, that requires constant attention to the engine speed in order to keep it in the right range.

In a year's time, it had got to the point that almost no one we ride with could get away from him, and new acquaintances thought he was riding a 426 until they took a closer look at the bike. There is no better platform to learn on than a modern 250cc 4-stroke MX bike. Their only draw back is that any major engine work that becomes necessary is more complicated and expensive.

I could not agree more! My first bike ever was a 2004 YZ250F i then thought i could gratuate to a 2006 YZ250 2. I did and have been kinda regreting it a little. I love my bike but i really don't feel faster, and power management is an issue everytime i ride. 250f's just let you ride and work on you improving your speed versus just trying to ride the machine

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.