Poor Man's street legal kit..... WR426

26 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 02, 2009 - 08:12 AM

will this brake light work on my wr426f? does my tail light also require a extra bulb or just this switch?
http://www.electrosp...-detail-690.php

• tcmII

Posted October 02, 2009 - 06:28 PM

That switch will work fine. As far as the tail lamp goes, if its stock and has the proper bulb (1157), it will also be fine.

The harness from the lamp has three connectors. Normally, two are used for the running lamp and the third is for the brake lamp. If I remember correctly, yellow, blue and black. Black is ground, yellow is running and balck is stop

If you splice one terminal on the switch to yellow and the other to blue everything should work fine, but the brake lamp will only work when the head lamp swith is on.

If you want the brake light to work when the head lamp is on you will have to splice into the head lamp circuit before the switch. I followed the swith harness back and found a convenient spot under the tank. This is really the best choice.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 02, 2009 - 07:02 PM

do you know where i can find turn signals and the mounts i need for them?what do they screw on to? electro sport has turn signals and this mount. do i need some other part for the signals to screw into or do they attach to the fenders and the head light some how?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mweitz

Posted April 04, 2010 - 05:58 PM

Great thread.

My WR is already plated, but didn't have a high / low beam.

I picked up the H4 connector from Ebay for a few bucks, and a Tusk control switch for 30 bucks.

Posted Image

It also didn't have a horn, so I picked up a cheap horn from Rocky Mountain (8 bucks) and connected it to the switch. I just used the spot where the stock odometer was mounted for the horn.

Mark

• co-rydr

Posted August 06, 2010 - 03:48 AM

Great write up!! Gives me some ideas. Thanks

• Newfoundlander

Posted August 10, 2010 - 06:01 PM

http://www.thumperta...=newfoundlander
If you are looking for some more info you can visit the link above I think that most everyone will be interested in the setup with the rectifier and battery. I have done this several times now and it works excellent.

• ftl900

Posted December 26, 2013 - 11:49 AM

I'm sure there have been threads regarding this in the past for this bike.... I also wouldn't be surprised if many of the things listed below would also apply to the WR250, WR400, and the WR450.
This is how I accomplished getting my bike street legal -

The gift that keeps on giving!!    Thanks for the write-up, I've been searching the internet for something exactly like this, and now I don't have to go purchase the full DS conversion kit.  

I'm picking up a 2000 WR400 tomorrow, and I'll be referring to your notes!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.