good handlebars = bent forks???

5 replies to this topic
  • live_to_ride

Posted April 07, 2003 - 07:39 PM

I have always gotten really cheap handlebars because I'm afraid that really strong ones could end up tweaking the forks in a crash. Has anyone else thought about this? :D :)

Chris :D

• Knopey

Posted April 07, 2003 - 08:26 PM

I find the triple clamps slip a little on the forks first. I think they're designed to slip before fork damage (if done to correct torque). :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 08, 2003 - 03:29 AM

I dont think it is a problem. I have rubber mounted handle bar mounts and that reduces the hit to the triple clamps. I have never heard of forks bending from the bars. But the motocross guys take some hard bike tumbling hits. Usually I see the triple clamps twist relative to each other arounbd the steering stem and the forks and clamps just need to be repositioned.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted April 08, 2003 - 04:10 AM

very many numerous mx crashes have never bent my forks. I have pretzled my twin wall o'neal bars (of course BRAND NEW) which were supposed to be BRUTALLY STRONG.
As previously mentioned, the forks will twist in the triple clamps worst case that I have ever seen.

• r1superstar

Posted April 08, 2003 - 04:12 AM

I have never bent any forks of mine. Strong bars=a lot of enjoyment..................db :D :)

• Lon13

Posted April 08, 2003 - 04:59 PM

I don't believe I've ever ridden a dirt bike (that was mine) that didn't have aftermarket bars on it. That's usually the first thing to go. I've had some hellacious(sp?) crashes with them and never bent my forks. I hit a tree that was laying across a creekbed once(it wasn't there the day before) at about 50 mph, twisted my forks a little, they twisted right back with no damage. bent the front axle like a snake though. Tweeked the ol' bod pretty good too. Remember, "bodies heal, bikes don't". Don't worry about bending your forks. If you crash hard enough to bend your forks you will probably have a monster medical bill to worry about first! :D :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.