05 yz 450 coolant leak

1 reply to this topic
  • got5steelman

Posted September 14, 2009 - 06:51 AM

I have coolant dribbling from the water pump side of the engine, most likley water pump seal, OK next question, is it possible for the impeller to be rubbing on the water pump cover housing, during a race this past weekend I started hearing a weird noise like something in the engine was rubbing or hitting a case cover, I thought maybe the clutch cover, it seemed to be coming from the right side of the engine, after the race I noticed coolant dribbling from the right side bottom of the engine however it stopped leaking after the cooloing system pressure was gone (cooled down), I have yet to tear down and investigate, going to look at clutch and water pump. How hard is replacing water pump seals and bearings and do I need to split the cases to do this? What parts usually wear and do you need any special tools for water pump tear down? Any other suggestions on what the noise might be.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cbrewer450

Posted September 14, 2009 - 05:31 PM

It's really quite easy to replace the impeller shaft, bearing and seals. You need to take the pump cover off then pull off the clutch and engine cover so you can get to the shaft and seals. I had a local shop do the actual swap of shaft, bearing, and seals. They had the proper tools and I felt safer that way. Other than that, it only took a couple of hours of my time. No more leaking for me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.