Cycra hand guard problem

7 replies to this topic
  • bcs

Posted September 13, 2009 - 07:46 PM

Installed a Scotts steering stabilizer, a BRP sub mount. Also installed new Pro Taper "countour" handlebars today, in the Henry/Reed bend--almost identical shape to the stockers. Then I tried to install cycra probend hand guards. I think maybe I got the wrong parts, 'cause when I tried to fit one on, loosely, it looked like this:

Posted Image

Does this look right? I know sometimes you have to bend the guards a bit, but this is too much.

The hanguards are cycra probend (not the CRM) and the U-clamps are p/n 1150-02. I have the U-clamps on the bar loosely. They are tapered and fit OK where you see 'em, but for the length of the hand guards they need to be about 2" closer to the handlebar mounts.

I'm thinking the guys at the shop gave me the wrong clamps. Or am I going about it wrong? Thanks.

• ASternad

Posted September 13, 2009 - 09:32 PM

I have the same setup on my contour CR HI's. mine are closer to the sub mount, they cover the r in "contour" maybe try mounting the clamp on the other side.

• KennyMc

Posted September 13, 2009 - 09:46 PM

I have the same setup on my contour CR HI's. mine are closer to the sub mount, they cover the r in "contour" maybe try mounting the clamp on the other side.

Mine cover the "r" as well.

• rkwfxd1

Posted September 14, 2009 - 08:31 AM

Dude,

I had the EXACT same problem with mine on my all stock 09. In the end, instead of trying to return stuff and what not I simply cut about 1 and 1/2 inches off the inside portion of the Cycra guard, drilled a new hole and used a BFH and my vise to bend it just a bit to fit.

Sucked to have to do ANY mods to a $100 item to get it to fit but in the end it looks fine and works great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ranger85

Posted September 14, 2009 - 10:44 AM

I don't have that handlebar so I can't say for sure, but it looks like you need to slide those U-clamps way closer to the handlebar mount, way down on the bend, those clamps will adjust to the bend. Looks like you have plenty of room to slide them down too. It seems awkard at first, but once you tighten them up they will fit good. If it still doesn't work, then you have the wrong mounts.

• rkwfxd1

Posted September 14, 2009 - 11:13 AM

If the clamps are like mine, they will not slide down and fit properly becasue the taper of the handlebar is different so only the very edge of the clamp touches the bar in that lower position.

• ranger85

Posted September 14, 2009 - 12:38 PM

+1, mine were marked right and left.

• bcs

Posted September 14, 2009 - 08:46 PM

Oh what a difference the correct part makes. The guys at the shop set me up with the right U-clamp today. Now it fits together the way it should, without any bending, cutting, etc. Looks like this:

Posted Image

For those of you who may go down the same path, the correct part number for the Cycra U-clamp is 1156-02. They are stamped "KTM" but if you read the cycra catalog they are described as fitting 08 pro tapers.

OK, OK, I know this is a boring thread, but since I started it I figured I should at least share the answer.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.