Rusted spark plug

8 replies to this topic
  • bcs

Posted September 13, 2009 - 07:36 PM

Pulled the plug on my 2006 WR450F today and it looked like this:
Posted Image

What the is going on with this? Maybe too much pressure on the garden hose when I wash it? Seems like its pretty hard to get water down from the top, but I guess that drain hole is a possibility...

I put in a new plug, of course, and vaccumed out the spark plug hole just in case any dirt was there. What is causing this? Anything I can do to prevent it?

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 14, 2009 - 12:20 AM

Antiseize on the sparkplug threads would be a good idea IMO.

Otherwise you did all you could do. Never seen a plug do that. Weird.

• whatttup_g

Posted September 14, 2009 - 09:35 AM

yep, that's a sure sign of water... almost glad to see the picture, the thread title had me worried that the rust was on the business side of the plug :busted:

• bcs

Posted September 14, 2009 - 10:06 AM

Maybe I should make sure the drain is not clogged with dirt.

By the way, what's up with the spark plug boot on this bike? It's huge. I have never seen one like it. Is there a coil or something built into it? I notice the connector running to the top of it is just two normal wires, not like a traditional "spark plug wire".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thatraptorguy

Posted September 14, 2009 - 01:18 PM

By the way, what's up with the spark plug boot on this bike? It's huge. I have never seen one like it. Is there a coil or something built into it? I notice the connector running to the top of it is just two normal wires, not like a traditional "spark plug wire".

ya noticed the same with my plug boot...my plug is simalar to this one but not as bad and i have a 07

• h20mn

Posted September 15, 2009 - 02:25 PM

have the same bike and the first time I changed plug it looked the same. Make sure the weep hole isnt plug. coat plug with anti seiz and coat plug boot with light grease. Also after washing ride around alittle bit so any water will evaporate. Have not had any more plugs look that way.

• dustdogg

Posted September 15, 2009 - 07:40 PM

I have had the same problem with my 426. Now I'm a little more careful. I make sure to keep as much water as possible away from that area, and I always run the bike for a few minutes after I wash it to evaporate the water from the engine. Since I have been doing this the plugs have looked better although they still show some signs of corrosion.

• sabrecat700

Posted September 15, 2009 - 08:22 PM

The water that gets in there gets in from the drain hole when your washing the head. If you power wash it gets lots in there. It will drain out, but it will also rust the plug. Won't hurt a thing.

• Alternative

Posted September 16, 2009 - 03:14 AM

Bingo. The electric start WR's came standard with coil-over-plug spark plug caps. The pre-2003 models had the coil mounted mounted on the frame with a "traditional spark plug wire" going to the plug.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.