What a pain in the A$$!

14 replies to this topic
  • JDLowrance

Posted September 13, 2009 - 06:52 PM

Just got done pulling the AIS and derestricting my 09 WR450F. Can't believe how much crap is in there vs my YZ450!

I used the GYT-R kit which comes with all the instructions you need to derestrict it properly including new air jet and leak jet which I installed. However, it comes with a 175 main and 50 pilot. These seem way to big to me so I started installing a JD jet kit instead. His instructions recommend 165 Main, 48 pilot and Red #4. I also installed the big o'ring on the accelerator pump. I'm located is So Cal and will be riding in the local mountains and desert. 2000 to 6000 feet above sea level.

Is this consistent with what most of you who've installed his kit started with? I'm planning on getting the Pro Moto Billet stinger to replace the smallish stocker and a complete exhaust system down the road (a quiet one).

The other question I have is the breather nipple on the starter motor. What is this for? I'm purchasing a new YZ450 crankcase breather hose to replace the tangle of hoses that came stock (and ran to the airbox). What should I do with the starter breather hose? Route it back to the airbox?

Can't wait to get out and ride it! Unfortunately I'm out of town for a few weeks on buisness so it'll have to wait.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

• rmx250rider

Posted September 13, 2009 - 06:55 PM

I would go with yamaha, they dont spend millions on these bikes for nothing...
But then again it depends on how high you are above sea level ect ect ect.

• Wrfrk

Posted September 13, 2009 - 07:01 PM

that breather on the starter motor has me a bit puzzled as well. Why they need to vent that is a mistery for sure...

• KennyMc

Posted September 13, 2009 - 07:05 PM

The only difference is I went with the 168 main. Check out this thread for other guys jetting. I just got back from Kennedy Meadows which gets you up to 9,600 and the bike ran great. I have had this setup since day 1 on my '07. Probably not much of a difference between the 165/168

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=411240

• MT-01

Posted September 14, 2009 - 02:26 AM

that breather on the starter motor has me a bit puzzled as well. Why they need to vent that is a mistery for sure...

This had me puzzled too ???

Have now had it completely blocked off for 1500 K's (1000 miles) with no dramas, have also had the cam cover breather setup like a YZ with no problems at all :busted:

Posted Image

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 14, 2009 - 04:08 AM

The breather hose on the starter is just a return drain back to the crankcase. If you go with the YZ style breather just cap the fitting on the starter cover and the air box. It will work just fine. The only reason for the stock setup is that green sticker rules here in CA require closed crankcase venting. The stock setup does prevent any chance of water getting into the motor when crossing deep water so I left mine on. I'm running similar jetting (168 main, 48 pilot, jd red #4) but with a 100 pilot air jet and the acv disabled on my '08 with an FMF Factory 4.1 and YZ headpipe.

• Wrfrk

Posted September 14, 2009 - 05:49 AM

This had me puzzled too ???

Have now had it completely blocked off for 1500 K's (1000 miles) with no dramas, have also had the cam cover breather setup like a YZ with no problems at all :busted:

Posted Image

2 things, first are you getting oil splooge draining out of that breather hose?
Second, what did you do to get your frame all tricked out and shiny...!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDLowrance

Posted September 14, 2009 - 06:10 AM

Thanks for the replys.

Off to Pep Boys to get some rubber plugs! Thanks for the jetting tips as well. Did anyone try the 165 first before going to the 168? Was it too lean? Run too hot?

Thanks again, John

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 14, 2009 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for the replys.

Off to Pep Boys to get some rubber plugs! Thanks for the jetting tips as well. Did anyone try the 165 first before going to the 168? Was it too lean? Run too hot?

Thanks again, John

I haven't had enough time on the bike to really check it out. Just going off my previous experience with WR450's, It runs very well with the 168, 48, JDR-4 combo. Mostly at Pine Valley (3000'-4000') I did take it up to Kennedy Meadows (7500'+). For that trip I ran a 165 MJ, 45 PJ, JDR-3 and it ran great so I'm thinking 168 should be good for the desert (as soon as the weather cools down a bit). Now how much the Factory 4 and the YZ headpipe influence the jetting I don't know as I made that switch from the get go.

• rkwfxd1

Posted September 14, 2009 - 08:26 AM

Just got done pulling the AIS and derestricting my 09 WR450F. Can't believe how much crap is in there vs my YZ450!

I used the GYT-R kit which comes with all the instructions you need to derestrict it properly including new air jet and leak jet which I installed. However, it comes with a 175 main and 50 pilot.

I too used the GYT-R kit but I used ALL of the jets in the kit under the assumption that Yamaha knows what they are doing. I ran the bike bone stock for the first trip and it over heated.... I could hear the radiator coolant boiling and the coolant in the over flow bottle increased to about 1/2 full.

With the GYT-R jetting I no longer over heat AT ALL and the bike seems to run great in the 0-4,000 foot California deserts that I ride.

I MAY play with the jetting in the future but I am going to need to put a lot more hours on it and find something that I am really unhappy with (power or bog or very poor mileage) to tear into it again.

• JDLowrance

Posted September 14, 2009 - 10:45 AM

Thanks again for all of the suggestions guys. Really appreciate it. I'm gonna go with the flow and run the 168, 48, R4 combo and see how it goes.

John

• MT-01

Posted September 14, 2009 - 05:31 PM

2 things, first are you getting oil splooge draining out of that breather hose?
Second, what did you do to get your frame all tricked out and shiny...!

I don't get anything draining out of the breather hose at all during normal riding. If its been really hot weather (over 90) I get 2-3 drops of oil come out of the breather once I've stopped riding but that is all.

I polished the frame and swingarm by hand starting at 180 grit sandpaper and working my way up to 2000 grit, then used liquid metal polish.

Was an absolute nightmare of a job and left me with worn out and bleeding fingers!!! I doubt I will ever do it again......Looks really good though :busted:

• face_plant

Posted September 21, 2009 - 08:26 AM

whats the easiest way to get to the carb?
my 05 was easy.the 09 is horrible. take off the swingarm subframe and shock?

here in WV the stock jetting works well. all free mods and baffle out, i will get a small pop on decel but thats about it

• rkwfxd1

Posted September 21, 2009 - 12:53 PM

whats the easiest way to get to the carb?

IMHO - remove tank seat and tank.
remove rear shock
remove muffler
remove bolts in lower sub-frame
lossen air box to carb boot
pivot rear sub frame up and forward so that it rests on top of main frame

• Butta

Posted September 22, 2009 - 08:37 PM

IMHO - remove tank seat and tank.
remove rear shock
remove muffler
remove bolts in lower sub-frame
lossen air box to carb boot
pivot rear sub frame up and forward so that it rests on top of main frame

Man, makes me really love my '05 then!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.