Trans install Question

1 reply to this topic
  • gumbellion

Posted September 13, 2009 - 06:45 AM

Last night i installed my trans into my new case for my yz 426 but wanted some info before sealing them. In the manual it says that the trans and shift cam should move freely. My transmission moves fine and same with the shift cam except for going into 5th gear. It goes into 5th but takes some persuasion. I was thinking that this may be because I have the case laying on its side instead of horizontal which puts more weight and requires more force for the fork to lift the gears. Am I worrying for nothing? Should I seal it up? Thanks a lot

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2009 - 01:19 PM

It's always more difficult to operate the trans when it's only in one case. Remember that the main shaft is laterally positioned by the bearing in the right case, and the counter/output shaft is positioned laterally by the bearing on the left, so if the shafts sit in either case alone, one of them is out of place by a couple of millimeters. Also, the shift fork shafts are not well supported by just the one case. Complete proof of the matter can be had by leaving the crank out and assembling the trans into the closed crankcases without sealing them, but that's really more work than is called for. Just be sure you have everything in place, and it will work.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.