how to plate a WR?

23 replies to this topic
  • nickt916

Posted September 13, 2009 - 12:33 AM

i keep hearing about lots of loops to jump through and how some guy knows a guy paid a guy to do it... do you really have to know someone on the inside to do it? have enough money to do it? I dont get it...

i was waiting for the 2010 WR450 thus i sold my 2007.. but since no new WR for 2010 i guess ill start looking for another 2007/08 WR and was wondering about maybe plating it... or better off trying to find one already plated in CA??

the concern is, cant the dmv just pull the plate at any given year, or once its plated its good for ever?

i was going to be the happiest camper with a 2010 FI WR... but.... i guess a 07/08 plated WR will make me happy also :busted:

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 13, 2009 - 05:46 AM

You can't legally do it. Do some slip through the cracks? Sure but no one wants to or should discuss the details in a public forum. And yes the DMV can pull the plate at any time. Will they? Who knows but go in knowing it may happen.

• byggd

Posted September 13, 2009 - 05:54 AM

PM sent

• 2in2out

Posted September 13, 2009 - 08:37 AM

It's happening in Nv right now. Many people who have converted there bikes to DS are getting their plates pulled due to the 8th digit indicator in the VIN that labels the bike for "Off road use only".

Here is a link on the fight for our rights from the Nevada side.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=772140

• nickt916

Posted September 13, 2009 - 12:42 PM

didnt know its such a top secret topic :busted: thanks for pm and links ill look into it, if i can find 07/08 plated on craigslist i might need to jump on that.

quick question, i saw one AZ plated, but the guy lives in CA, if i buy one like that would CA deny a plate for that or would they might let me slide and give me a CA plate?

• Sundog

Posted September 13, 2009 - 01:00 PM

didnt know its such a top secret topic :busted:

Why would it not be? I mean think about it....look at your first sentence -

i keep hearing about lots of loops to jump through and how some guy knows a guy paid a guy to do it... do you really have to know someone on the inside to do it? have enough money to do it?

You already seem to know it is a hard to do thing and even question if the DMV can pull plates.

So why would people want to post up how they did it? On a public forum that would only allow someone at the DMV to read it and get the loophole closed. Plus I could just see it now...some not so bright someone would print the thread out and try and use it to plead his case..."But Ms. DMV Person, JohnH and BoogerButt on Thumpertalk said they got their's plated this way."

• XTWarrior

Posted September 13, 2009 - 01:02 PM

I didn't even know the WR wasn't a street legal machine? An officer buddy of mine says in PA you can plate anything if you have all the necessities such as a working horn, indicators, lights, etc... Is it really that much of a hassle? I want a WR450 SuMo that is street legal as well....

• Sundog

Posted September 13, 2009 - 01:06 PM

I didn't even know the WR wasn't a street legal machine? An officer buddy of mine says in PA you can plate anything if you have all the necessities such as a working horn, indicators, lights, etc... Is it really that much of a hassle? I want a WR450 SuMo that is street legal as well....

You have a completely different scenario that the OP. He is in Kaliforistan and has CARB (California Air Resources Board) to contend with.

However, in PA you may not have to deal with Federal Emissions sticker now...but it is all coming down the pipeline IMO.

• XTWarrior

Posted September 13, 2009 - 01:17 PM

Phew. I've seen several plated Tards in the area but anyone can slap a plate on and look legit. Here, I thought my plans were going to be ruined by not being able to plate the machine. Sorry for you Cali peoples, I've heard the emissions is insane on my car forums.

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 13, 2009 - 02:29 PM

didnt know its such a top secret topic :busted: thanks for pm and links ill look into it, if i can find 07/08 plated on craigslist i might need to jump on that.

quick question, i saw one AZ plated, but the guy lives in CA, if i buy one like that would CA deny a plate for that or would they might let me slide and give me a CA plate?

They won't transfer it. Also if you get pulled over with an AZ plate and a CA drivers license you're going to get a lot of questions from the popo. This whole deal has been discussed at length before. No need to air more dirty laundry in a public forum. Do a search....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • weathergeek

Posted September 13, 2009 - 05:23 PM

Why would it not be? I mean think about it....look at your first sentence -

You already seem to know it is a hard to do thing and even question if the DMV can pull plates.

So why would people want to post up how they did it? On a public forum that would only allow someone at the DMV to read it and get the loophole closed. Plus I could just see it now...some not so bright someone would print the thread out and try and use it to plead his case..."But Ms. DMV Person, JohnH and BoogerButt on Thumpertalk said they got their's plated this way."

:thumbsup: :banana: :banana: :busted:

• redneckj

Posted September 13, 2009 - 08:12 PM

Here is the weird part to me reguarding plating an offroad only dirtbike. You can custom build a freaken chopper with a super loud exhaust and make it street legal but you can't convert a dirtbike into a street legal motorcycle. I dont get it??? What is the difference. Street legal is street legal, but not really I guess. lol

• whatttup_g

Posted September 14, 2009 - 09:43 AM

yes, welcome to the nanny state of kommieforniastan, we lead the world in fruits and nuts, now we're moving on to idiots and retards via the courts and congress

knowing the status of this fight, all i will say is if you want plates after 2004, CA is not the place to start

• nickt916

Posted September 14, 2009 - 02:07 PM

what if i already find a CA plated 07/08 WR and try and register in my name, would DMV pull the plate or there is a chance of success?

• KennyMc

Posted September 14, 2009 - 02:51 PM

what if i already find a CA plated 07/08 WR and try and register in my name, would DMV pull the plate or there is a chance of success?

Possibly and possibly. You just have to ask yourslef what the risk is worth. Maybe you could negotiate a price if the bike doesn't transfer over the plate.

• nickt916

Posted September 14, 2009 - 06:56 PM

The best price i seen on a new 2009 WR450 here in Sacramento area was $5890 + fees... has anyone else seen a better deal anywhere on a new WR.. or even a 2008 WRs new that might still be around on the floors somewhere? Ill be willing to travel anywhere in CA to pick up a new 08 or 09 for a great OTD price..

• ASternad

Posted September 14, 2009 - 07:27 PM

Good luck finding an 08 in Cali, have you tried cycletrader for a price check?

• whatttup_g

Posted September 14, 2009 - 07:37 PM

The best price i seen on a new 2009 WR450 here in Sacramento area was $5890 + fees... has anyone else seen a better deal anywhere on a new WR.. or even a 2008 WRs new that might still be around on the floors somewhere? Ill be willing to travel anywhere in CA to pick up a new 08 or 09 for a great OTD price..

straight off the floor, no plates, should be do'able in the 5's i bet :busted: :thumbsup: :banana:

• 2in2out

Posted September 15, 2009 - 09:35 AM

Let me know too! I'll probably be headed to Sac today or tomorrow if my local dealer won't compete!!!

• Hilo Thumper

Posted September 16, 2009 - 06:29 AM

This was on ADVrider a month or so ago, pretty steep fines in a time when the $$$ is tight for most.

2 SD Motorcycle Dealers Fined For Illegal Kits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.10news.co...809/detail.html

SAN DIEGO -- Two San Diego-area motorcycle dealers were fined a combined $180,000 from the California Air Resources Board for selling dozens of off-road motorcycles illegally converted into what they called street-legal models, the regulatory agency announced Monday.

GP Motorcycles of San Diego and Moto Forza of Escondido will each pay $90,000 in fines, according to CARB.

CARB investigators following up on a tip received in 2006 confirmed that GP Motorcycles and Moto Forza were selling Husqvarna off-road motorcycles illegally converted to street-legal models.

According to the CARB, many of the bikes were outfitted with so-called "street legal" kits, which are illegal in California.

"Companies that deliberately flout the law are often assessed higher penalties," said Mary Nichols, who heads the CARB board. "Playing by the rules from the start is the most cost-effective, smart business plan any company can follow."

The CARB revoked the registrations for the motorcycles. The owners were told to turn in their license plates and get off-road stickers and plates. California bans a number of motorcycles and scooters that are street-legal in other states.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.