06 Steering Question

20 replies to this topic
  • mxchris512

Posted September 12, 2009 - 09:04 PM

I love my 06 YZ450 but have struggled with turning since switching from my 250 2 Stroke. A buddy of mine says if I put an 09 steering stem and triple clamps that it would make a big difference. Anyone heard this? Want to ride it a little longer to find out if there will be any bugs in the new one.

• KJ790

Posted September 12, 2009 - 10:23 PM

The clamps are the same between 06 and 09. Buying aftermarket 24mm offset clamps seems to be a popular way of making the 06 turn better.

• LEMMON1

Posted September 13, 2009 - 06:14 AM

uh i thought 22s were the way to go? but irregardless it wont turn in like ur smoker...its a torque machine

• KJ790

Posted September 13, 2009 - 06:18 AM

uh i thought 22s were the way to go? but irregardless it wont turn in like ur smoker...its a torque machine

Some people prefer the 22's, but the 22mm clamps seem to be more popular on the 250F than the 450, though they will still make the 450 turn better. Back in 06 motocross action did a blind test with 22mm, 24mm, 25mm, and 27mm offset clamps and almost every rider said that the 24mm clamps handled the best.

• LEMMON1

Posted September 13, 2009 - 06:31 AM

wonder if that was the problem with the guys 07 that i rode...it was bone stock less then a month old.....his front end just seemed real whopply...it would be real nice to be able to do a blind test to see which worked better for me...on any bike really

• cowboyona426

Posted September 13, 2009 - 09:22 AM

I've noticed that my 06 is really squirrely at low speeds, it wants to flop over on you or pushes really bad in turns. But, if you speed it up and push the bike a little, it does a lot better. Mine is all stock suspension wise, with the sag set and 2 clicks out on the compression adjusters. I'm still not happy with how it handles though, and plan on having the suspension worked over this winter.

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2009 - 01:24 PM

Back in 06 motocross action did a blind test with 22mm, 24mm, 25mm, and 27mm offset clamps and almost every rider said that the 24mm clamps handled the best.

This was the exact result that Applied Racing got when it ran a true double blind test; the 24 was the most popular. Doug Dubach, who is analytical enough that he doesn't need blind tests, also likes the 24.

The real key is rider position. Move the bars up, move them forward, and sit way up on the bike as you turn.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 13, 2009 - 04:03 PM

This was the exact result that Applied Racing got when it ran a true double blind test; the 24 was the most popular. Doug Dubach, who is analytical enough that he doesn't need blind tests, also likes the 24.

The real key is rider position. Move the bars up, move them forward, and sit way up on the bike as you turn.

Gray, have you changed your triple clamps? I'm considering going with some 24mm clamps next in my quest to make my 06 less like a fish out of water. Aside from pushing the bike hard and not going slow, I haven't found anything yet that will make the front end not feel like its skating on a sheet of ice.

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2009 - 04:18 PM

Gray, have you changed your triple clamps?

Nope. I find the biggest benefit from suspension set up, tire selection, and rider technique.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 13, 2009 - 06:29 PM

Suspension setup- working on it. Setting sag had almost zero effect, still twitchy and wants to fall over in turns
Tire selection- running a Kenda Washougal (tire #3 for me) and I liked it at first, but lately it hasn't been impressing me. It seems really soft... not the tread compound, but the tire itself. With 13lbs in it I can still squish it like it's got 5 lbs in it... considering a Dunlop 756 next.
Rider technique- I'm not fast, but I've been riding a long dang time and I've never ridden anything quite so fussy over setup as this bike. I've been really working hard on squeezing the bike with my legs and getting forward in turns, but it's still a mess in turns or anything rough. I have found that riding faster and making the bike works seems to make it settle down the best.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Family Man

Posted September 13, 2009 - 06:39 PM

Try plling up the forks 5mm in the clamps, works great. Your 450 wont turn like 250t.

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2009 - 07:40 PM

Try an MX 31 Dunlop

• Ga450owner

Posted September 14, 2009 - 05:08 AM

There is tons of info on this if you do a search but to sum it up here are the recommendations to get a 06 to turn better:
24mm clamps
Windham bend bars
revalving suspension
better biting front tire
wider foot pegs
Flatten the seat(get rid of the camel hump) with a SDG tall seat
Get Your @$$ up on the tank when cornering
steer with throttle

• cowboyona426

Posted September 14, 2009 - 06:45 AM

Try an MX 31 Dunlop

Is that the mate for the MX51 rear, or do they offer the MX51 in a front tire also?

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2009 - 06:57 AM

There's an MX 51 front, too, but if the soil tends toward the soft at all, and there's not a great deal of hard pack, I'd go with the 31. Otherwise, the 51 may be worth a try.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 14, 2009 - 07:40 AM

There's an MX 51 front, too, but if the soil tends toward the soft at all, and there's not a great deal of hard pack, I'd go with the 31. Otherwise, the 51 may be worth a try.

I ride mostly trails, so 90% of it is hardpack, save a little dust on top or some mud in the wet spots.

• saccityfire

Posted September 14, 2009 - 07:42 AM

Gray is very right on the handling of these bikes.

I've owned an 05 YZ250, 06 YZ450F and now an 09 YZ450F and felt at first that the 06 handled horrible after coming off the 05 2t. but with the bars way forward, my butt, body and head all came forward to keep the front forks compressed. I then used wide elbows to carve the bars laterally through the turns. The more I weight the outside peg, the harder the bike sticks in corners and I found I can change lines at will.

Improper setup, position or style will all lead to a bad feeling with this bike.

My MX setup:
fork position - stock
rear sag - 95mm
fork comp and rebound - stock
shock comp and rebound - high speed comp in 1/4 turn (from stock), low speed in 2 clicks (from stock)
re grease with light lithium based grease the fork dust seals every 2 rides (reduces stiction)

Trails - softer

Sand - way firmer

Stay lightly on the front brakes through the apex, it will also keep the fork compressed.

My 2 cents.

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 14, 2009 - 07:51 AM

I love how mine is set up...I'm using Applied 24mm rubber mount tripples,
Scott's submount damper, Carmicael EVO's (similar sweep to Windams, but not as much rise so it works well with the tall bar clamps), I have my forks up about 3mm, MX31's on front and back, tall SDG seat, wide RocStompa pegs, and I use basically the recommended clicker settings that are in the manual, sag is around 95-98...
The only bike I've ridden that handles better is my buddy's 07 YZ450F, set up also with 24mm clamps, but he has like $4000 in the suspension (all RG3), and a DRD pipe with a DRD radiator lowering kit...But it handled only slightly better from what I could tell (only a couple laps on it at Perris), and didn't have the comfort of riding mine has with the wide pegs, tall seat, and tall bars...

• mxchris512

Posted September 17, 2009 - 07:01 PM

I put the mx 51 Dunlop on front and back and it made a huge difference. (Very impressive tire) I have tried raising the forks in the clamps and it helped. I had it revalved by Marshall's that made most noticible difference of all and I also check sag often. I just had a buddy tell me 09 clamps and shaft would make it turn more like a newer one. It is a very torquey bike and problably don't need to tell anyone here that I just thought it would be worth asking to get some input. I am overall happy with the results I have gotten from what I have done I just kinda hoped it could be better yet. I think everyone is right it will never turn like the YZ 2 banger. I am definately coming to terms with it, it is just my first four stroke and think I just needed to learn how to ride it. Thank you everyone.

• Wiz636

Posted September 18, 2009 - 08:39 AM

Aside from pushing the bike hard and not going slow, I haven't found anything yet that will make the front end not feel like its skating on a sheet of ice.

Set you rear sag to 95mm, and raise your forks up in the clamps 5mm.

Don't know what you weigh but try softening the comp on your forks some more and experiment with your fork rebound. There is a sweet spot on the rebound for riding twisty trails...you want it slow enough that it doesn't try to push the front end back up mid-turn, but you don't want to slow it down to the point that it no longer 'pushes' the front tire into the ground.

In the trails I usually run my comp anywhere from 15-20 clicks out, and the rebound around 12-14 clicks out.

On the shock I usually ran my rebound around 6-8 clicks out. That seems slow but the YZ shock is notorious for having hardly any rebound damping and you need to run those settings just to kepp it from being a pogo stick.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.