wanting to put a thumb throttle on my wr450

68 replies to this topic
  • thatraptorguy

Posted September 16, 2009 - 05:59 PM

Your owners manual should tell you what stock jetting is.
And there is a data base for jetting in the sticky notes of the WR/YZ forum.
then you will need to find someone with elevations and temps similar to yours.
Do a little reading!!!

read through the whole jetting database and found two people with the same exhaust as me but nobody with a cut open airbox and K&N thats why im asking

• Sider_steve

Posted September 16, 2009 - 06:29 PM

If they removed the snorkel it should be close, thats about all most people do to them. It pays to keep the airbox somewhat water proof.
All that reading you did will just get you close to what you need for jetting.
The rest requires a little testing and tweaking.
Did you read through the free mods section? found in the FAQ.

• thatraptorguy

Posted September 16, 2009 - 07:04 PM

If they removed the snorkel it should be close, thats about all most people do to them. It pays to keep the airbox somewhat water proof.
All that reading you did will just get you close to what you need for jetting.
The rest requires a little testing and tweaking.
Did you read through the free mods section? found in the FAQ.

yup and when i took of the carb today i found out all the free mods have been done to it.....grey wire mod,throttle stop,and ais....im not worried about keeping the airbox closed and waterproof because its in the process of gettin motarded:smirk:

• Sider_steve

Posted September 16, 2009 - 08:59 PM

Heck if i was going to be doing that to it i would be in the supermoto section of TT.
those guys would be able to help you way more with your set up than we would

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pdivizzle0112

Posted September 17, 2009 - 07:22 PM

Use The Clutch!!!

• usp4u

Posted September 22, 2009 - 08:34 AM

There's nothing wrong with converting to the thumb if thats what you want. I go back and forth between a quad and bike. Race the quad, pleasure ride the bike. Couple things about this:
1. Don't think changing to the thumb throttle is going to instantly make you a much better rider, it will help you, but it's not life changing.
2. Use a Honda 400EX or 450R throttle assy. About the best leverage ratio to reduce thumb fatique. Using the wrong throttle assy. on the FCR carb can result in a very stiff pull.
3. Some consider this the most important part...The twist throttle assy. on FCR carbs works with a two cable push/pull system. This is because the big fourstrokes move ALOT of air. There is the potential at WOT of having the slide "surf" the air flow coming throught the carb bell. I've ran the single cable set-up for a couple years and have never expeirenced a throttle hang, but the potential is there.
If you feel the change will help you, then go for it. To hell with what anyone else thinks!

• thatraptorguy

Posted September 22, 2009 - 05:46 PM

There's nothing wrong with converting to the thumb if thats what you want. I go back and forth between a quad and bike. Race the quad, pleasure ride the bike. Couple things about this:
1. Don't think changing to the thumb throttle is going to instantly make you a much better rider, it will help you, but it's not life changing.
2. Use a Honda 400EX or 450R throttle assy. About the best leverage ratio to reduce thumb fatique. Using the wrong throttle assy. on the FCR carb can result in a very stiff pull.
3. Some consider this the most important part...The twist throttle assy. on FCR carbs works with a two cable push/pull system. This is because the big fourstrokes move ALOT of air. There is the potential at WOT of having the slide "surf" the air flow coming throught the carb bell. I've ran the single cable set-up for a couple years and have never expeirenced a throttle hang, but the potential is there.
If you feel the change will help you, then go for it. To hell with what anyone else thinks!

thx for the help man

• usp4u

Posted September 23, 2009 - 12:00 PM

after you get the honda throttle on, if you still need to lighten the pull further, PM me...there are a couple other little tricks you can do.

• thatraptorguy

Posted September 23, 2009 - 05:09 PM

after you get the honda throttle on, if you still need to lighten the pull further, PM me...there are a couple other little tricks you can do.

alright thx itll be a little while becuase im close to having enough money to get a car so i can get a job to start payin for this thing:banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.