wanting to put a thumb throttle on my wr450

68 replies to this topic
  • thatraptorguy

Posted September 12, 2009 - 09:51 AM

im coming from a quad lifestyle and i just hate how much less throttle control i have with twist throttle....does anybody know how hard it would be to put a thumb throttle on my 2007 wr450??i know i can get a dual gasser but i would rather just pick up a cheap quad throttle and do that:bonk:

• husky300racer

Posted September 12, 2009 - 10:02 AM

im coming from a quad lifestyle and i just hate how much less throttle control i have with twist throttle....does anybody know how hard it would be to put a thumb throttle on my 2007 wr450??i know i can get a dual gasser but i would rather just pick up a cheap quad throttle and do that:bonk:

You don't have less throttle control,you need to learn throttle control.:busted:

• thatraptorguy

Posted September 12, 2009 - 12:51 PM

You don't have less throttle control,you need to learn throttle control.:busted:

its a ton easier not to smash it full throttle on a thumb throttle when your about to loop out than a twist

• BajaFool

Posted September 12, 2009 - 01:31 PM

So, a hundred years of motorcycle designers and engineers have had it wrong?

• 2smokeforlife

Posted September 12, 2009 - 01:38 PM

its a ton easier not to smash it full throttle on a thumb throttle when your about to loop out than a twist

thats why you squeez the bike with your legs so you dont have to have a death grip on the bars:bonk: :busted:

• beezer

Posted September 12, 2009 - 02:37 PM

im coming from a quad lifestyle

Doing donuts in the parking lot drunk without a helmet?

• Crazyzilla

Posted September 12, 2009 - 02:38 PM

Doing donuts in the parking lot drunk without a helmet?

Damn!

DAYYYUMMMMMMM!

• GENE426

Posted September 12, 2009 - 02:39 PM

I think its a BAD Idea

• bikeslut

Posted September 12, 2009 - 03:02 PM

coming from the quad world, you will have to make a lot of adjustments... just getting a throttle you are comfortable with won't make the other things fall in to place

keep the twister, and gradually get used to it, like we all did at first... it may have been 35 years ago, but...

• GENE426

Posted September 12, 2009 - 03:05 PM

I wonder why Quads dont have twist throttles

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Crazyzilla

Posted September 12, 2009 - 03:20 PM

Trust me. If you own a bike, and a quad, you know why they each have theyre own. Bikes are just better with the twist, quads are just better with the thumb. Trust me. Twist throttle quads just get away from me. Something about the powersliding or body position or something but a quad with a twist throttle is SKETCHY

• beezer

Posted September 12, 2009 - 03:25 PM

The average quad rider is too dumb to figure out how to use one.

• rkwfxd1

Posted September 12, 2009 - 04:09 PM

:busted: :thumbsup: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:banana: OK at least on the bright side he has seen the evil of his ways and has given up the quad life style and did not ask how to install a six pack rack on the back.:banana:

Seriously, if you are having trouble with the twist throttle your body position is probably wrong. Get your elbows up and out, turning the throttle should be similar to turning a screw driver, not spinning a roll of toilet paper in search of that last square....if that makes any sense. Good luck.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 12, 2009 - 04:21 PM

Body position plays a big part in turning a quad,since you cant lean the quad,you must hang off the side of the quad to keep it from rolling over in a turn. Left hand turns extend your right arm to its max often causing you to twist the throttle.
Right hand Turns are just the opposite,they then to make you let off the throttle.
The thumb throttle gave you something you could hold steady in either direction.

And don't loop the bike out and you wont have to worry about that.
Stick with the twist throttle on the bike,takes a little to get used too but you will.

• SPLATT

Posted September 12, 2009 - 04:39 PM

Get a throttle set up from a YFZ450 quad.

Steve

• 2in2out

Posted September 12, 2009 - 05:36 PM

I put a twist throttle on my wifes quad (sold it the other day). It made it so much better to ride, especially since she has small hands.

Ergonomics is the key. Having the right bar set up (height, width, angle) will fix the sketch in any ride from quad, motorcycle, mountainbike, etc....

I've found quad owners so focused on getting the most of the motor or suspension, they forget the basics of bar position. That bar position can reduce the amount of body english and increase throttle and clutch control.

One of the first things most motorcyclists do is adjust bar position, then go after motor and suspension. I spent hours finding my best bar position, and luckily I had the right width.

• phynx

Posted September 12, 2009 - 07:32 PM

:thumbsup: yes!

• phynx

Posted September 12, 2009 - 07:33 PM

The average quad rider is too dumb to figure out how to use one.

:busted: too funny. but i confirm.

• thatraptorguy

Posted September 12, 2009 - 07:55 PM

wow you guys are really hating on the quad community.....to tell you the truth im not that happy with my 07 wr and the only reason i got rid of my raptor was because its impossible to make em street legal in ohio otherwise i would have kept it....stock for stock the raptor wasnt much slower than my wr

• Sider_steve

Posted September 12, 2009 - 08:02 PM

Not everyone is hating on the quad community.
But the throttle off the YZF450 quad should hook you up.
I hope it works out for you.
I like playin around on quads,but they don't jump,wheelie or go through tight woods like a bike will.
Love my buddies 700 raptor,not crazy about his 660.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.