What to buy WR250F or WR450F

9 replies to this topic

Posted April 07, 2003 - 12:03 PM

I have gotten some great responces to my first question and my second would be which bike WR250 or WR450 and what are the major diff other than weight. I am 6'2" and 200# and I see my self as an agressive driver but i was told that the wr250 is more of a bike than the early 90's DR350 ever was. :)

• brett_h

Posted April 07, 2003 - 12:11 PM

I have a HEAVILY modified KLX-340 and my wr is still a better bike.

• ThumperWR450F

Posted April 07, 2003 - 12:48 PM

hey rude if there's someone that could answer your question the best being that you are coming off a 90's DR350 is me !!! i am coming off of a 97 dr350 with the big bore 435 kit in it.the differences are like night and day. the WR450 is so much better in everyway.It handle's like a dream and the suspension is so much better than the mushy DR suspension. the throttle response with the WR is great unlike the DR where it has a slight delay in power.the WR feels like it's 20 pounds lighter than the DR. the only thing i had to get used to on the WR was the seat height. it's 3 inches taller than the DR.that will be fixed once Kouba comes out with there stuff.if it's power you are looking for than i don't think you will be happy with the 250. that's my take on it,but since you are coming off a DR i thought you might like the info !! if you have any other questions PM me.

Posted April 07, 2003 - 03:41 PM

Thanks, when i had my 250 DR i always wanted the 350Dr but never got it know things have changed so much i couldnt seem to get any straight answers from the dealers. :)

• emcdan

Posted April 08, 2003 - 06:42 PM

I think I agree. I recently went to the 03' WR250 from a yz426 and I have been slightly dissapointed in some areas. 250s have to be ridden much harder especially on a track or very fast trails. Coming from a DR is a huge jump to a WR450. I would try to bum a ride from anyone with the 250 and 450. It is a huge difference from the DR. The 250 may be exactly what you want.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted April 09, 2003 - 03:29 AM

I would choose the WR 250.

Posted April 09, 2003 - 04:39 AM

Get the 450 better to have too much and not use it then to be left lacking. :)

• wr250rr

Posted April 09, 2003 - 06:01 AM

Hey Rude Dog, I would buy a used WR250F. :) They are cheap and great bikes, and if you feel you need more, you won't lose as much money as a new one.
Hey what do ya know .......I just happen to have one for sale. :D

• ThumperWR450F

Posted April 09, 2003 - 09:24 AM

like i said i had a DR350 and i put a big bore 435 kit in it. now if i went to a WR250 i'd be very dissapointed. "IT'S BETTER TO HAVE TOO MUCH POWER THAN NOT ENOUGH" but, is there really sucha thing as too much power ?

• wr250rr

Posted April 09, 2003 - 02:15 PM

Ya I guess your right. I went to a 450F cause I wanted more. But I dont think anyone could be disapointed going from a DR to a WR. Unless you were riding dessert,s or open roads. For trail riding, a DR350 will never handle as good or be as nimble as a WR250F. It really depends what type of riding you are going to do.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.