Hot start button? Is it worth it?

12 replies to this topic
  • Jarriet

Posted March 24, 2000 - 11:27 AM

Does the bike start easier with the bar mount hot start button or is it just that it's easier to get to than the stock one?

• Tony

Posted March 24, 2000 - 12:48 PM

I have owned a YZ426F for about 3 months and I have never used the hot start knob. I have ridden under almost all conditions and this knob was never necessary. So I really don't think it matters where they put it.

• YZFWrench

Posted March 25, 2000 - 05:01 AM

I don't think the bar mount button will work on the YZ426 since the hot start system is built into the carb, much different from the '98-'99 set-up. Otherwise I've heard it works quite well on the '98-'99s.

Phil
'00 YZ426
'00 XR100
'98 300EX
'95 VFR750

• OldFart

Posted March 25, 2000 - 05:39 AM

Well, I dont agree with Tony. I use the HS knob pretty often. About 90% of the time I don't need it- I just give it a clearing kick with the comp release. But after bombing down a sand wash and dropping the bike, the HS knob is REAl handy.

I would pay a pretty good amount of money to get mine relocated to the bars.

• Bryan

Posted March 25, 2000 - 06:23 AM

But, the hot start mounted on the bars doesn't make it work any better. It is just easier to access.

I find the carb mounted hot start hard to get to when on my bike on a steep steep hill while keeping my front brake on, clutch in, attempting to kick. Then, when the bike starts, I have no free hands to push it back in. Sometimes I have to use my boot! The handelbar mount would make that much easier!

I saw one at a local dealership. Terry Cable (Ty Davis) and it was real nice. They were asking too much though. I think you can get one mail order for 50 bucks or so? And, it is my understanding that it is WAY easy to install?

I'm thinking about it still.

Bryan...

[This message has been edited by Bryan (edited 03-25-2000).]

• Rich_Rohrich

Posted March 25, 2000 - 08:56 AM

IMHO the TerryCabble relocation kit is the best $60 you can spend. It makes the restart after a stall MUCH easier, but the real advantage comes when you are not sure if your jetting is a little to rich or a little too lean. It's easy to crack the bar mounted hotstart button open just a little bit and leak some air in, to guage the effect of leaning the mix just a bit. It's remarkably easy to get the jetting of any of the circuits SPOT ON this way. OF is right. Yamaha did the YZ426 a great disservice by integrating the hot start into the carb. With those you have to drill a hole in the intake tract and press a brass vacuum tap in to use the relocation kit.

Rich

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZFWrench

Posted March 25, 2000 - 05:48 PM

Bryan said:
I find the carb mounted hot start hard to get to when on my bike on a steep steep hill while keeping my front brake on, clutch in, attempting to kick. Then, when the bike starts, I have no free hands to push it back in. Sometimes I have to use my boot! The handelbar mount would make that much easier!

That's exactly the situation I found myself in TWICE today! :)

Phil

[This message has been edited by YZFWrench (edited 03-25-2000).]

• OldFart

Posted March 25, 2000 - 07:04 PM

Rich,

You are saying that I can make the TC unit work on my '00?!? I would appreciate more details.

An example of why I want the bar mount is the start of that Dez race I blew a couple of weeks ago. When I finally got the darn thing lit off it took about a mile and a half until I found a place where I dared take one hand of the bars to push in the HS button.

A bar mounted HS system would be euphoric.

------------------
'00 426
'99 Ducati Monster
'73 Kawasaki H1

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted March 26, 2000 - 10:04 PM

I'll jump in and agree with Rich :) for $60 it's a MUST HAVE. I've got mine on order.

My bike is a first kick starter without the button, if I shut it off with the kill switch. If I stall it on a hill, it's going to need the hot start to get going, first kick. Also my bike has the habit of going lean and quitting after a few seconds running with the hot start out. This really complicates matters on steep hills. Riding to the top and shutting the circuit isn't an option. I'll have mine on the bike before my next desert race.

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• 427fastback

Posted March 27, 2000 - 10:23 PM

Originally posted by Chris in the Mojave:
I'll jump in and agree with Rich :) for $60 it's a MUST HAVE. I've got mine on order.

My bike is a first kick starter without the button, if I shut it off with the kill switch. If I stall it on a hill, it's going to need the hot start to get going, first kick. Also my bike has the habit of going lean and quitting after a few seconds running with the hot start out. This really complicates matters on steep hills. Riding to the top and shutting the circuit isn't an option. I'll have mine on the bike before my next desert race.

• 427fastback

Posted March 28, 2000 - 12:10 AM

Originally posted by cory ellwyn:

Do not know what happend but thats not my quote or post above,maybe i hit the wrong button,bit new at this,sorry.Anyways I have the Ty Davis barmount switch on my 99WR and it is the cats ass.I ride mainly tight technical trails that are way to ugly to be searching for a switch on the side of your bike.It is very well made and can be disassembled for service.Although i added a second hose for the intake on the switch,(i didnt like the filter it came with)I am very happy with it, and it cost alot more in Canadian funds.If you use your switch alot its worth the time and money.Its on and off with out taking your hands off the bars.My view.

• Rich_Rohrich

Posted March 28, 2000 - 08:03 PM

OF - You should be able to order the brass intake port nipple from a 98 YZ. Then it's just a matter of drilling a hole in the intake port and pressing it in and connecting up the Terrycable kit. I'm not sure what the part # from Yamaha is, but a blank head comes with out the nipple so it BETTER be available. I don't want to have to switch them between cylinder heads :)

Rich Rohrich

• OldFart

Posted April 01, 2000 - 05:58 PM

Rich,

Thanks, found that TC makes a 426 model. Ordered it.

Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.