Chain Slap

5 replies to this topic
  • MATT

Posted March 22, 2000 - 02:42 AM

I have just bought a YZF 426, this bike is awesome. One problem I have found is that the chain tends to hit the rear tyre taking lugs off with it. I replaced the chain with a DID X ring chain but it still does it. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Also the chain rubber on the swing arm is wearing very quickly, but I've heard this is common. The bike jumps very well, and the suspension is set up just right for jumping, but on the track, over small bumps under power, the bike tends to bounce a fair bit causing me to button off. I have not yet played with the suspension. Other than that, this bike rocks.

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted March 23, 2000 - 08:26 PM

I rode with a friend today that has a 426 and his chain doesn't hit the tire. Sounds like a set up problem. I'm running a 120 rear tire on my '98 400F and there is plenty of clearance. So I guess I'm saying that it hitting the tire is not "normal". The chain glider on the swingare wearing IS normal :)

Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• holeshot

Posted March 24, 2000 - 11:49 AM

If your chain is hitting the tire and taking off knobs, something is seriously wrong. Check the axle alignment marks to make sure the rear wheel is aligned.
If that checks out, look at another YZF and see if there any differences at the axle.
I'm replying to this because it seems like a dangerous situation (heck, I wouldn't ride it that way)!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OrangeMan73

Posted May 01, 2011 - 08:19 PM

Maybe too fat of a tire? Might need to size down...

• jasen 2007

Posted May 02, 2011 - 03:15 AM

Hows the offset of the rear wheel? What size tire are you running? Do you have too much chain slack?

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2011 - 07:39 AM

This may be a record. The post is 11 years old.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.