Sprocket & Chain question

4 replies to this topic
  • Fozzo717

Posted September 11, 2009 - 01:05 PM

I have an 02 yz 426 with the original chain and sprockets. They look fine to me but a mechanic told me my chain is streched and if I am going to replace the chain I might as well replace sprockets too. What should I look at or for to confirm what he is saying? If I do need a new set up what do you guys recomend? Thanks in advance!

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2009 - 01:42 PM

Do you own a 6" Vernier Caliper?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ProjectDIRT

Posted September 11, 2009 - 07:09 PM

chains do stretch and if you have any sort of caliper that would be a good place to start. i got through a chain and rear sprocket every couple amonths during season in the summer only 1. thats why i switched to an msr iron man not that heavy for a moly one and looks sick and lasts.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 11, 2009 - 09:58 PM

I have an 02 yz 426 with the original chain and sprockets. They look fine to me but a mechanic told me my chain is streched and if I am going to replace the chain I might as well replace sprockets too. What should I look at or for to confirm what he is saying? If I do need a new set up what do you guys recomend? Thanks in advance!

First of all congrats on having chain and sprockets last for 7 years,especially on a big bore thumper.
the rear sprocket is the easiest to tell if it is worn,they will look somewhat hooked or like a shark fin.
A simple test is to grab the chain at the back of the rear sprocket and pull it away from the sprocket.
If the chain is stretched and the teeth worn it will show more than half of the tooth on the sprocket.Replacement time.A brand new chain on a new sprocket will move too but it will barely show 1/4 of a tooth.

Most people only want to replace worn sprockets and keep the chain,but chains do stretch and that worn chain on new sprockets just shortened the lifespan of those new sprockets.
You should be able to get the whole package for anywhere from $85 to $150, not saying you can't spend more.
I have found chain and sprockets on ebay for my 250 F for less than $70.
If long life is important to you and weight isn't an issue go with steel sprockets.

• DeeCee

Posted September 12, 2009 - 06:45 PM

Look at the sprocket teeth, are they even on both sides. My guess is they will be hooked on the drive side and if hooked, they are worn. Chain stretch is more a function of the conditions you ride in and the care you take with your chain. The type of chain can also be a factor.

Also look in your manual, it does show how to check chain stretch and sprocket wear.

Assuming you decide to replace your chain, I recommend you also replace your sprockets.

On my YZ400 and CR250 I run an o-ring chain which I find stretches way less than a conventional chain. I get around 9 months from my chains and have nornally replaced the sprockets at the same time. I am about to switch to steel sprockets on my next change as they are cheaper and will probably wear less.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.