2003 Wr450F Won't kick or e-start...locked up now.

13 replies to this topic
  • Andrejs2112

Posted September 11, 2009 - 05:30 AM

I just finished installing a new chain and sprockets on my bike. I went to start it and after a few tries with the e-start, I then kicked it. It made some grinding noise and then stopped kicking all together. I can only get the kick start to go down after moving the bike in gear. The grinding is still there and it eventually locks up again. Could it be the woodruff key issue or something else? I should add that when I tightened the front sprocket, it turned the crank when I didn't have the rear brake on all of the way. Did I hose it up?

Thanks in advance for your input

• Andrejs2112

Posted September 11, 2009 - 12:40 PM

Just opened up the crankcase cover. Found the stator was chewed up from all of the flywheel allen bolts that broke off in there. Must have happened on my last ride. I didn't feel or hear anything out of the ordinary when riding it last. Why would this happen? Can I put in new allens in the flywheel and re use it? The flywheel looks fine except for the sheared bolts. I'd really like to know what caused this.

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 11, 2009 - 03:44 PM

It happened because it's an '03 without the '04 starter upgrade. Very common failure which was addressed in '04 by Yamaha with a redesign of the starter drive. Fix the damage and do the '04 upgrade and you'll never have the problem again.

Go here for info on the upgrade:

http://www.wr450.com...inals/index.htm

• Andrejs2112

Posted September 11, 2009 - 06:00 PM

Pretty sure it has had the upgrade done. The starter cover is domed and not flat.

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 11, 2009 - 06:27 PM

If the upgrade has been done (and it sounds like it has) then I'm not sure why the screws would shear. I've never heard of it happening post '03. Is it possible the previous owner repaired it and didn't loctite the screws?

• Andrejs2112

Posted September 11, 2009 - 06:38 PM

It looks like someone was in there before. The big nut on the rotor assy looked to have marks from a wrench slipping on it.

• Andrejs2112

Posted September 11, 2009 - 06:39 PM

Anyone know what size the bolts are for the flywheel. I need to replace them. They are allens, but I can't find them online.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Andrejs2112

Posted September 11, 2009 - 06:40 PM

If the upgrade has been done (and it sounds like it has) then I'm not sure why the screws would shear. I've never heard of it happening post '03. Is it possible the previous owner repaired it and didn't loctite the screws?

It seems strange that ALL of the screws would back out and shear at about the same length.

• msgbean

Posted September 11, 2009 - 07:26 PM

It happened my 03 twice. I guess they just get hammered from the starting process. The last time I replaced them with metric allens from the hardware store because they were actually a harder screw.

• Andrejs2112

Posted September 12, 2009 - 03:50 AM

It happened my 03 twice. I guess they just get hammered from the starting process. The last time I replaced them with metric allens from the hardware store because they were actually a harder screw.

Thanks. Happen to know what size they were?

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 12, 2009 - 05:40 AM

The manual calls for loctite on the threads but they don't say what type. I think I'd be inclined to go with red (permanent). Also I would probably wait 24 hours before putting oil in the bike just to give it plenty of time to set up.

• Andrejs2112

Posted September 12, 2009 - 08:17 AM

I can't find anything that talks about the flywheel in the manual. It just show it as one unit, and doesn't call out the bolts or how to install them.

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 12, 2009 - 09:54 AM

I can't find anything that talks about the flywheel in the manual. It just show it as one unit, and doesn't call out the bolts or how to install them.

Page 4-77. Exploded view shows the tightening torque at 11 ft/lbs and it has the symbol for thread locker pointing to them.

• Andrejs2112

Posted September 12, 2009 - 10:14 AM

Ok. I see it now. The bolts are part of the starter clutch assembly and not the flywheel. I ordered new ones. Now, to get the broken ones out.

Thanks for your replies and time.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.