1999 Wr400f

2 replies to this topic
  • exacto

Posted September 10, 2009 - 10:51 PM

so im looking for a street bike to ride around on for cruises and to school which is about 5 miles one way, so nothing major. Is a 1999 wr a good bike for this, and can i make it street legal with no problems in CA?

this would be my first dual sport,never ridden one either, i only have a kx250 right now.

appreciate the help
-David

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mrlopez

Posted September 11, 2009 - 05:45 AM

Well if you just want it for transportation it may be better just to get a street legal bike with everything already on it.
But if you feel like having time, patience and some extra cash, I did made mine street legal (00 wr400) here in California, you need to go to DMV then CHP and that's after you put all the accesories to make it past to street legal lights, horn, brake light etc, then it's the other issue, abou your stator if it's going to be enough because your bike only puts 80w they went higher in 00 to 130w well this help.

• pablo83

Posted September 11, 2009 - 12:33 PM

so im looking for a street bike to ride around on for cruises and to school which is about 5 miles one way, so nothing major. Is a 1999 wr a good bike for this, and can i make it street legal with no problems in CA?

this would be my first dual sport,never ridden one either, i only have a kx250 right now.

appreciate the help
-David

It's a great dirt bike, but kind of a poor street bike. The FCR carb is not meant to run at steady speeds. The ignition mapping causes the bike to miss at highway speeds. With the kickstart-only, it can be difficult to start when cold and it takes a long time to warm up. If you accedently stall it when the light turns green you'll have cars honking at you while to try to find neutral so you can get it re-fired (I've been there).

With a lot of work you can make it an acceptable dual sport, but if you don't want to put that kind of effort into building up a bike, I would suggest a DR350SE or a DRZ400. The WR250R would be a great commuter, but they aren't old enough yet to find cheap ones.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.