B53E Needle

11 replies to this topic
  • JackAttack

Posted April 07, 2003 - 07:48 AM

I did a search looking for the positives and negatives of this needle compared to the stock needle and have not come up with much. :)

Can anybody enlighten me on what changes using this needle has made as far as performance on their BRP.

Are the changes more relative to high speed desert or slower single track riding?

Thanks in advance for any info.

• Grimmer

Posted April 07, 2003 - 12:44 PM

I didn't even bother putting the 53E needle in. When I opened the carb I compared the two needles with a micrometer and found no difference. Is it possible that this needle is the series they ran in the 2000 model year and it is just a left over part number form that time?

• sroloson

Posted April 07, 2003 - 01:16 PM

When looking at the stock needle, it appeared to be the same needle as the new one i was putting in. The stock one had b53f printed on the side, and i'm unsure whether the F was a worn out E, or whether the stock needle was in fact, a b53f.

• JackAttack

Posted April 07, 2003 - 02:05 PM

Qadsan,

:)

How about some help here.

• Grimmer

Posted April 07, 2003 - 04:25 PM

My needle said B53F on it also. I was thinking that it was a later revision. i just really could not find any difference between the 2 :)

• qadsan

Posted April 07, 2003 - 05:10 PM

I looked in my notes and had listed the B53e needle being approximately two clip positions richer than my stock needle at 1/4 throttle, about one clip richer from 3/8 to 5/8 throttle and same as the stock needle from 3/4 to full throttle. I don't have the stock carb anymore to verify this, but when I surveyed a number of XR650R riders over a year ago, it appeared most people were happy with either choice of needle. Maybe the needles have been updated since then to B53f, but its always worth playing around to find out what works best for your application.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smashinz2002

Posted April 08, 2003 - 06:04 PM

I have both needles, the competition one came with my power up kit. I can't tell any difference at all, unless the taper at the end where it meets the main jet is different? I don't know. In any case, I used the competition needle and set the clip to 3rd position and used the 175 main jet. Alt. is 650' Elev. I tried the 4th position also, but the bike seemed too mellow at low rpms. I swear the bike feels much more crisp and potent at low speeds with the 3rd position on the competition needle. Could be all in my head, but anyway, I've got mine set at no.3
L.L.

• Grimmer

Posted April 09, 2003 - 03:43 AM

Did you up your pilot jet or stay with stock? From the info I see here you have two choices with simlar results.
(1) Go with a 68s pilot and stick with the stock needle.
(2) Go with the B53E needle and stick with a stock pilot jet 65s.

• stonewall

Posted April 09, 2003 - 05:53 AM

I run a B53E in the 3rd position and a 68s pilot. It is hard to see by looking at it but I think the taper is a little different. With the stock needle I needed to run in the 4th from the top but with the B53E the 3rd works best. I saw a comparison of the two needles somewhere. I will try to find it. :)

• smashinz2002

Posted April 11, 2003 - 06:43 PM

Cool man! So there is someone else who has used the 3rd position with the competition needle with good results. That's good to hear, it's not all my head. Honestly the bike did feel less potent in the 4th position with the comp. needle.

• Grimmer

Posted April 13, 2003 - 04:01 PM

Once the hot weather hits I'm going to give that B53E needle a try. It looks like both you guys are close to sea level, so I'll go with the 3rd too. Have you guys read your plugs? Is it burning on the lean side?

• stonewall

Posted April 14, 2003 - 10:42 AM

Hey Grimmer
I am about 3500'above sea level and the plug is nice and tan.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.