In the sand?

11 replies to this topic
  • yz133rider

Posted September 10, 2009 - 03:11 PM

Any tips on setting a bike up for sand racing? Its a mx track built on the beach. I bought some sand tires (Pirelli mxs in the rear and a mx31 for the front) and the suspension is getting rebuilt and revalved and resprung as we speak by pro action (to the tune of almost 800 bucks:jawdrop: ) Anything would be appreciated. Speeds will be mostly second gear and third gear so no super high speed straights. Raise the forks up? Less or more sag? Clickers?

Anything would be awesome also in your guys experience how does the big 450 like sand tracks?

• wondermuscle

Posted September 10, 2009 - 03:27 PM

Make sure you have your breather hose routed to your airbox.

• stevenacarter77

Posted September 10, 2009 - 04:43 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=791636 the super moto of sand

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted September 11, 2009 - 07:52 AM

You should love your 450 in the sand. When I ride in deep sand I go in on both comp and rebound on the forks - 3-4 in on comp and 1-2 in on rebound. It keeps the front from wanting to knife. You can go down 10-20 mm on your forks legs too.

Shock? In 1-2 on comp and rebound.

Mine is a 04 YZ450 and it loves the sand.

PS keep an eye on your coolant level!

• Jim813

Posted September 11, 2009 - 08:26 AM

You should want to stiffen both the rebound and compression adjusters( depending on how your re-valve changes your suspension) to keep the bike higher in the stroke. Some people like to drop their forks in the clamps and drop the rear sag to 100-110mm to put more weight on the rear and less on the front. How are they setting your suspension and with what springs?

• letitride

Posted September 11, 2009 - 08:54 AM

I also recomend also getting a uni breather filter besides running the breather in the air box. It only took one time of my bike stalling while having the end of the breather hose burried in the sand to get sand sucked up in the motor. I should have known better, I've been a windsufer for a long time and spent a lot of time living on beaches, and I've learned from experiance that weather it be a motor or my camera or whatever if it has even the smallest of openings sand will find its way in there. We had 2 honda scooters parked on the beach overnight in a sand storm, there was sand packed into everything on them even the kill swithches couldn't be pressed down, it was in the gas, carburetors, got in the cyinders through the exhaust. I think the open breather the way yamaha has it is a poor design for a dirt bike and I think they should know better too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • utahmxer599

Posted September 11, 2009 - 10:52 AM

Anybody have a picture of how they re-routed their breather hose?

• Rider_727

Posted September 11, 2009 - 11:52 AM

Any tips on setting a bike up for sand racing? Its a mx track built on the beach. I bought some sand tires (Pirelli mxs in the rear and a mx31 for the front) and the suspension is getting rebuilt and revalved and resprung as we speak by pro action (to the tune of almost 800 bucks:jawdrop: ) Anything would be appreciated. Speeds will be mostly second gear and third gear so no super high speed straights. Raise the forks up? Less or more sag? Clickers?

Anything would be awesome also in your guys experience how does the big 450 like sand tracks?

With no high speed straights and only 2nd n 3rd gear you could easily add a tooth or two to the rear. And raise the forks all the way up in the clamps. In the sand you are either on the gas or on the brakes. Also I've run about 10lbs in the front and rear when its really soft. But later in the day your gonna wanna put 11 or 12 lbs back in. But thats all personal perference.

You can't coast into the corners like you can on hard pack or even loam. On tight corners, drive it into the corner, shut it down late, get up on the tank, and roll it back on early.. Better yet bigger corners get on the outside, hold the gas on and rail the berm. If the front wheel feels like it wants to dance around LIGHTLY drag the front brake.. That will keep that front tire settled in the corner..

Whats all the talk about the breather tube?? I've never had a prob with mine sucking sand.. I ride deep sand tracks every other weekend..

• utahmxer599

Posted September 11, 2009 - 02:12 PM

Wow..this sucks. Just went out to check my breather tube and there is quite a bit of dirt/sand that had made its way in there!!:busted: Guess I wont be hitting up green river next weekend:cry:

• bendover932

Posted September 11, 2009 - 03:56 PM

if your doing the "thunder in the sand" id strongly suggest a through washing with "fresh water" immediately or asap after leaving...the salt water wreaks havoc...as well as tearing down/cleaning and regreasing all bearings (shock/linkage/wheel/swingarm/steering/etc)...several friends have had bearing issues because they did not...being its jersey and 100 yards or so from the ocean the ruts fill with sea water...have fun!

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 11, 2009 - 05:54 PM

Anybody have a picture of how they re-routed their breather hose?

Here's mine, after about 15hrs ride time with it like this, no issues...

I was just in Pismo giggling to myself when I saw another guy starting his bike while his rear tire was buried in the sand to keep the bike up during a break...He kicked that thing over like 10-15 times and the breather hose was right on the surface of the sand, I almost wanted to get closer and watch the breather vacuum some up...

The piece of mind alone was worth doing this mod...Very cheap, very easy...The clear tube drains oil before it goes to the airbox (has actually had very little drain, but pops off the line easily for cleaning), also I used a stainless filter in the airbox so I can clean it easily...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Check out the breather hose reroute stickies in common threads...There's quite a few different ways of doing it...

• utahmxer599

Posted September 11, 2009 - 06:49 PM

Sweet set-up on the re-route. But here's a stupid question, sorry for the off the topic question and the hi-jack. But how the crap do you get the dang valve cover off??:busted: As I mentioned...I now have debris that got up into my head from the breather tube and im trying to get the valve cover off now for a further inspection. I have all the bolts removed from the cover, now im just trying the get the darn thing out off and out of my way. There isnt much room with the frame being so close to the cover. Again, sorry for the hi-jack and ramblin.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.