Is the YZ for ME???

2 replies to this topic
  • lumpy_j

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:34 PM

I am thinking about getting a 09 YZ450 that I found a good deal on. Here is my question. I do mostly trail riding and hare scrambles type racing. I currently have a 04 CRF 450 and was thinking about getting a 450x or WR450. I am a big guy (245lbs) and like the power of the 450 mx bike but I hate the low speed stalls and flame outs. Is the YZ better at the slow stuff than my CRF? Thanks:banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikedabike

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:01 PM

No the YZ is no better. You can make the WR or the X run like the MX versions with very slight mofifications. If the weight does not bother you they are the way to go. Or if you are more race oriented you can tame the mx bike with a heavier flywheel or even a auto clutch.

• BaileyAZ

Posted September 10, 2009 - 03:06 PM

I purchased a 2008 a couple of months ago and was riding a CRF450X. I liked the gearing of the X, but I perfer the power of the YZ. I ride mostly desert and like the nimble feeling of the 30 + pound lighter bike. I also dont mind doing a little more clutch work.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.