superbike/supermoto rim conversion

13 replies to this topic
  • thatraptorguy

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:06 PM

im wanting to go the cheap route and use some r6 rims or something like that for my 2007 wr450.....im wondering if this is even possible and if it is what it takes to make it happen.....any info would be more than helpfull!

• pablo83

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:11 PM

Unless you happen to find some very cheap rims that happen to fit, I think the cheap route would be to order yourself some 17" wire rims and spoke set and lace them on yourself. It's very time consuming, but it takes no experience. Plus you get to brag that you laced the rims yourself.

• pablo83

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:12 PM

BTW, supermotojunkie.com will probably have more information on compatable rims for your bike

• Gary1scuba

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:16 PM

Can anyone help me on how to drain and then flush the system of my CRF250X. I have a user manual but it only tells me how to check the cooland level and not how to drain, flush and then refill the coolant system.
Thank you very much.
Gary

• thatraptorguy

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:20 PM

Can anyone help me on how to drain and then flush the system of my CRF250X. I have a user manual but it only tells me how to check the cooland level and not how to drain, flush and then refill the coolant system.
Thank you very much.
Gary

seriously dude????go hijack another thread:moon: .anyways i think i can pick up a set of these rims for close to $400....tell me where i can order hoops hubs n spokes for that much and ill be on it

• pablo83

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:04 PM

Can anyone help me on how to drain and then flush the system of my CRF250X.

Gary, it looks like this is your first post. Welcome to ThumperTalk.

First read this:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=467783

Then ask your question here:
http://www.thumperta...splay.php?f=199

Try posting a new thread instead of interrupting another one. :busted:

• pablo83

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:22 PM

i think i can pick up a set of these rims for close to $400....tell me where i can order hoops hubs n spokes for that much and ill be on it

You're looking at $650 for new rims and spokes. This would require you to use your current hubs.

$400 would be a great price for the wheels. If they fit, get them. If you don't know if they fit then you'll need a lot of measurements from them:

Axle dia - if this isn't the same as yours you might be able to make it work with different sized wheel bearings

Inner swingarm width, wheel offset from centerline - if these aren't the same as your bike you might be able to correct it with new wheel spacers.

Sprocket offset - it's easy to space the sprocket farther out, but requires machine work to set it farther in.

Rotor dia and offset spacing

There's lots to consider with this conversion. It's much easier if you can borrow the wheels to see if they will fit. I fitted a CBR600 rear wheel to my NX650, but most all the measuments between the bikes were identicle, so it wasn't too tough.

Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thatraptorguy

Posted September 10, 2009 - 03:11 AM

alright thanks.....any more info anybody??

• Regalman

Posted September 10, 2009 - 04:47 AM

Several guys have done this mod on DRZ's. You need to find rims that are narrow enough and have single brake rotors.

The GS500 rims were a good start for the DRZ. You need to change out the bearings, create your own spacers and then fab up mounts for the brake calipers.

If you know a guy in a machine shop, you can get out fairly cheaply... if you don't... then your better off going a different route.

• mrlopez

Posted September 10, 2009 - 08:59 AM

http://www.thumperta...8578&highlight=
check my tread I convert my 00 wr400 to Supermoto

• justbackitin

Posted September 10, 2009 - 05:26 PM

I put cbr600f3 rims on my 06 wr450. You wont want to go with r6 rims because the rear is simply too wide and both have different axle sizes. The f3 rims have the same axle sizes and the front is pretty much a bolt on mod with different wheel spacers and front brake. The rear is (in my opinion) perfect at 5' wide, although you need to machine the hub area down over an inch. Not everyone has the skill or a lath big enough to spin a wheel that big. Good luck. :busted:

• thatraptorguy

Posted September 10, 2009 - 05:49 PM

http://www.thumperta...8578&highlight=
check my tread I convert my 00 wr400 to Supermoto

great info man thanks alot......anymore is more than needed:bonk:

• thatraptorguy

Posted September 10, 2009 - 05:53 PM

I put cbr600f3 rims on my 06 wr450. You wont want to go with r6 rims because the rear is simply too wide and both have different axle sizes. The f3 rims have the same axle sizes and the front is pretty much a bolt on mod with different wheel spacers and front brake. The rear is (in my opinion) perfect at 5' wide, although you need to machine the hub area down over an inch. Not everyone has the skill or a lath big enough to spin a wheel that big. Good luck. :busted:

can you give me anymore specifics???is the front rotor good enough to run and what you did to make a caliper relocator....how much the back had to machined down for sure and what not....i appreciate the help:thumbsup:

• mrlopez

Posted September 11, 2009 - 05:59 AM

Sure thing

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.