2010 YZ450 debut at Glen Helen... and riding with Bubba!!

26 replies to this topic
  • whatttup_g

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:25 PM

first my thanks, these guys rock, Yamaha rules... my thanks in particular goes to Dustin Nelson for literally saving my bacon on Mt. St. Helens, and to James Stewart for being a regular guy with no attitude the entire day, multiple times.. both of those guys are cool as they get, wish i could ride with them every day

basically, invite only corporate catered type US Yamaha debut of the new YZ450, hot laps by stewart on the 450, dustin nelson on the 450 quad, then open track for everyone, even scrubs like me... after, instead of leaving, they did not.. so now its debut day, and open ride with bubba, dustin, tommy, VIP's... everyone, they all stick around for hour plus ride around with everyone invited... not expected... so we gear up, and sure enough getting lapped by bubba and co. was great, maybe the best win ever, never would i have a chance at sharing a track with any caliber of rider, much less bubba cracking off doubles in my face... wow.... just epic.. not only that, theres more when i fail mt st helens on like lap 9 or so, with a desperate ghost ride at the last 12 ft up that sucker.. well i came a good 6 ft short, however right next to me, to my surprise/luck/forture are james and dustin... they both stop to bail me out.. imagine that, dustin comes downhill, helps me unearth the bike (6-12" freshly graded powder/packedpwd) then offers and rides my bike down for me... then LOL and OMG, suddenly just like that, its me and bubba doing nothing, all alone atop mt st helens, just chatting about supercross, enjoying the weather... bs'ing about the new bike, supercross, the outdoor and chad reed lol... just shooting the breeze overlooking the event, he was totally cool to me, it was nice..

so talk about once in a life time opps... who gets to talk about racing, with bubba, on top of mt st helens, waiting for another factory guy to bring your WR back... yeah epic mega win, this is a lifetimer for me thats for sure :busted: :thumbsup: :banana:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• MotoXT

Posted September 09, 2009 - 05:56 PM

Awesome story and thanks for the pics:thumbsup:

• knightsofstevenson

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:00 PM

Sounds like you had a heck of a good time and thanks for the pics! How did you/they like the all new bike??

• timmy351

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:15 PM

yeah did you get to ride it?!?!?!

• mxtanner

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:39 PM

no he didnt get to ride it, b/c then they would have had to let everyone ride it.
atleast i would be willing to throw 10$ says he didnt ride it.

• mxtanner

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:40 PM

+he would have been bragging about getting to ride it.

• YamaLink

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:40 PM

Maybe the best first post on TT ever!

• digitalkidd

Posted September 10, 2009 - 06:20 AM

That's cool....would have been sweet to be there.

• WB450

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:16 AM

What a great day, lucky you!!!

• 450XFAN

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:56 AM

I'm jelous....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ah665

Posted September 10, 2009 - 09:08 AM

awesome post, dude. thanks for posting. sweet pics too. JS is the man.

• whatttup_g

Posted September 10, 2009 - 10:46 AM

yeah did you get to ride it?!?!?!

we wish!!! everyone wanted too but no... and thanks for the comments guys

well the new bike, it looks good to me... sure its new and different yes, but hot... the white/blk version is unbelievable sexy to me.. anyhow, it sounded crispy too, looked to have plenty of power and although you never know whats inside the engine, the exterior of the bike looked extremely showroom, except for maybe the header, so the bike seemed stock... i asked specifically as well and everyone including JS indicated the bike was out of the box with the only adjustments on the suspensions clickers.. hard to say whats what from my vantage, but EFI and that wacky pipe sure sounded good, that bike rips

look about 9 pics down, thats an uphill right hander that (how i ride.. slow) i just left the bike in 3rd and sort of float the turn w/no gas one foot off, and you just crest over and gun it, flat tracking down the grade on that face... if you look, he's got one foot off too... and well bubba rides a bit more aggressively than me, so all i can say is i guarantee he is pegged in at least 3rd there because 40 ft back stuff is still flying upwards...

i joked that they rode those bikes like they were trying to blow them up, but they were just showing them off i think... you could hear dustin on the quad, dancing on the rev limiter all over the track, and james.. dude.. just look at the down hill picture, that grade is pretty steep to me, and he's roosting all the way down hill, pegged WFO like nothing... that guy is insane

anyways, feedback was extremely positive from everyone there, bubba was excited for his return, which i think is the us open outdoor (anyone?) and his comment was the bike is so revolutionary, the new YZ will be an advantage for any yamaha rider until the day that the rest of the oem's catch up... look at how they launched too, let everyone else go EFI bandwagon, watched, then dropped this.. nice move

and oh by the way, no WR next year... should i post that in the other forum?

• rjcook450

Posted September 10, 2009 - 01:25 PM

The U.S. Open will be his first race back on U.S. soil, he is doing an supercross race in Italy and one in Austrila

• Ga426owner

Posted September 10, 2009 - 02:25 PM

Awesome event - thanks for sharing
I would love to have that track for a day to play on

Here is a question:

Who thinks Stewart will be on a 2010 for the US Open and the other Italian and Aus SX?

or a 2009?

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 10, 2009 - 02:31 PM

DUDE!!!
I was all set to go, called in a few favors, and still couldn't get my name on the list!!!
You must have one hell of a good connection!
Great post!

• krony506

Posted September 10, 2009 - 03:26 PM

Absolutely one of the best threads to date. Good job man!!

• mikeythefokker

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:33 PM

No 2011 wr next year at all?

• ah665

Posted September 10, 2009 - 08:16 PM

Awesome event - thanks for sharing
I would love to have that track for a day to play on

Here is a question:

Who thinks Stewart will be on a 2010 for the US Open and the other Italian and Aus SX?

or a 2009?

i would bet hes on the '10 for the US Open. afterall, the US Open has kinda been the unofficial start of the following years SX series, so im sure most guys will be on '10 bikes/teams etc

• whatttup_g

Posted September 11, 2009 - 09:24 AM

DUDE!!!
I was all set to go, called in a few favors, and still couldn't get my name on the list!!!
You must have one hell of a good connection!
Great post!

that sucks, there was room for way more ppl there thats for sure... maybe next yr??

• yz_for_me

Posted September 11, 2009 - 06:12 PM

Wow, great post. How does it feel to be the most envied guy on the YZF forum? Sounds like you took full advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.