Head Work

7 replies to this topic
  • motodiver13

Posted September 09, 2009 - 10:58 AM

I need to clean the head on my '98 WR 400. If I disassemble the valve train do I need to Lap the valves in when I re-assemble?

Also, does anyone know a source for rebuilt cranks?

Thanks

• wondermuscle

Posted September 10, 2009 - 06:51 AM

Your 400 has steel valves right? If so I 'think' you lapp them but I'm not 100% sure, you will need to cut the valve seats and who ever does that will know.

I ended up just buying a new crank, as getting one rebuilt was only $75 cheaper and was faster and more reliable than getting one rebuilt.

• motodiver13

Posted September 10, 2009 - 08:14 AM

Thanks- Did you go OEM or aftermarket? If you went aftermarket, where?

• wondermuscle

Posted September 10, 2009 - 11:38 AM

Thanks- Did you go OEM or aftermarket? If you went aftermarket, where?

I went OEM. The aftermarket I believe are simply rebuilt cranks and not newly designed and tooled components. But I'm not certain....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pablo83

Posted September 12, 2009 - 08:01 PM

If I disassemble the valve train do I need to Lap the valves in when I re-assemble?

You don't NEED to, but it's very cheap and easy to do and it won't hurt. Also, you don't need the valve seats re-cut unless you are having seating problems. Lapping will help determine if the valves are not seating properly.

• wondermuscle

Posted September 13, 2009 - 04:14 PM

Only STEEL valves can be lapped. If you lap a Ti valve you will ruin them, it damages the hard Ti coating.

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 14, 2009 - 12:22 AM

I'd get the seats cut and valves lapped. Why not go for the best possible seal while its apart?

• motodiver13

Posted September 16, 2009 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I think I am going to part out the bike. I got it cheap and it need a whole new bottom end, crank, bearings, etc...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.