Lowering Forks In Clamp Reduce Stability at speed?

7 replies to this topic
  • HareAndHound98

Posted April 06, 2003 - 10:43 PM

Some of the guys riding around here tell me that lowering the forks in the triple clamp 10mm will improve handling on my 98 400. We have a lot of slower speed riding around here, however we have one area that is really choppy and very very fast.

I just don't want to be tank slappin in fourth gear.

• RCannon

Posted April 07, 2003 - 02:27 AM

The bike will be more stable at speed and maybe not quite as nice in the slow going and tight areas. Try it and see. You can always go back.

If the bike is nto tank slapping now, it wont after you adjust the forks down.

Posted April 07, 2003 - 04:25 AM

I have been running both my WR and YZ 1/2 inch up in the clamps since day one. Helps dramatically in tight turns.. Remains stable pitching the bikes into berms and does not get out of control in high speed areas. Recently I purchased a Scotts TT for my yz with the high rise bar clamp, It's now a full inch up in the clamp and still handles perfectly.

Bonzai :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 07, 2003 - 07:16 AM

I have mine 16 mm up in the clamps with 3.6" of sag on the back end and love it. Scotts damper helps with stability and fatigue while hitting objects that deflect the wheel like rocks and roots. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HareAndHound98

Posted April 07, 2003 - 08:29 PM

Ok, Thanks everyone

I will drop them 10mm to start with. I will drop them more if that does not cause any problems.

• HareAndHound98

Posted April 07, 2003 - 08:31 PM

I'm sorry I mean raise them 10mm in the clamps

• Merfman

Posted April 08, 2003 - 03:50 AM

>I'm sorry I mean raise them 10mm in the clamps

I wouldn't raise them 10mm and then go race. 10mm will make a pretty dramatic
difference in how the bike handles. You don't need any surprises on race day.
I usually adjust mine in 2mm increments.

BTW, I did exactly what I'm advising you not to do. The bike was a 92 KTM 250 EXC.
I raised the forks 10mm and went racing. The bike changed from a bike that
wouldn't turn to a bike that was more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room
full of rocking chairs. As always, YMMV.

• HareAndHound98

Posted April 08, 2003 - 06:05 PM

Understood Merf,

Thanks for the advice. I will increment 2-3mm at a time

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.