2007 yz450 chain and sprockets

10 replies to this topic
  • jakethomson

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:35 AM

Hey its time to change my stock chain and sprockets, and I was wondering if you could give some advice. I mostly ride mx tracks and don't ride much woods so do I need a 0 ring chain? Should I do 13/50, and what brand of both. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:38 AM

The Regina ORN6 O-ring chain on my '06 is 2.5 years old, and still good. Do you need that? (don't ever pressure wash an O-ring/X-ring chain, BTW)

I favor Tag rear sprockets and Pro Taper fronts, and get good service from both.

• geshields

Posted September 09, 2009 - 10:18 AM

I have Ironman sprockets front and rear. I chose to stay with 13/49 as it suits my riding style/experience better. A lot of better riders go to the 13/50 for faster rev out of the corner but I was finding myself always overrevving on the straightaways. I also have a DID X-ring chain but only because the dealer gave it to me after the stocker stretched so much after only 1 ride.

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 09, 2009 - 10:28 AM

I use 13/50 Tag sprockets, and Regina Z-ring, and am amazed at how little they have worn compared to my old setup (which I thought was a great setup using DID MX520 Gold, and Ironman sprockets)...

• WB450

Posted September 09, 2009 - 10:32 AM

I use the Regina ORN6 O-ring chain on my 07 and Renthal sprockets front and rear. I wen to a 51 in the rear, but I'll probably go to a 50 next time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 10:34 AM

I use 13/50 Tag sprockets, and Regina Z-ring, and am amazed at how little they have worn compared to my old setup

It's impressive just how long a hard anodized aluminum sprocket will last when the chain doesn't wear/stretch, isn't it?

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:28 PM

It's impressive just how long a hard anodized aluminum sprocket will last when the chain doesn't wear/stretch, isn't it?

Yes.
I thought I had a great setup before as my chain/sprocket wore less than some friends using lighter weight stuff...Than Ironman sprocket is tough as hell (unfortunately tougher than a few people's hubs) and would wear very slowly, but the did chain would definitely stretch quite a bit (laterally as well)...

The combination of a light yet durable (with the full inner ring) sprocket with the z-ring chain (that's basically pre-stretched and seems impervious to side to side movement) is the way to go...

It has to be noted also though, that I had installed the TM Slide-n-Glide kit along with this setup which I'm sure has contributed to the longevity as well...

Also, I rode Pismo last weekend and didn't seem to have any issues with the sand and the z-rings, everything washed off fine, chain doesn't have any grainy feel or sound to it...

• jakethomson

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:39 PM

seems like I've been hearing a lot about the regina, but anything good on vortex sprockets. I like to stay in third a lot so would that 13/50 be a lot more beneficial?

• Family Man

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:16 PM

The regina 0rn6 is really a great chain.

• jakethomson

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:35 AM

but do i really need a o-ring chain? i was told that was more for woods riding.

• Family Man

Posted September 10, 2009 - 08:37 AM

Depends, if you like tightening your chain all the time and replacing sprockets. If not go with the oring Regina. Works great for moto, these 450's have alot of torque and they are really hard on chains and sprockets. The Regina 0rn6 rolls really good, so if you were worried about loss of power from an oring don't be. I doubt you'd go back to a standard chain after you try an oring chain.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.