GYT-R clutch kits

10 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:18 AM

Kicking around on the Yamaha site and found they offer 2 clutch kits:

03-06 kit

07-09 kit

It says the acuator arm only comes on the 03 model kits, and the 07-09 kit includes springs. Are there any other differences though? Both kits look like they have the 01 style clutch parts with a different inner plate and the boss spring or whatever it was called. It makes me want to order the 01 parts for my 06 and see if the squeal stops.

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:07 AM

The early kit is the one you want. The '07 and later have a different pressure plate and spring set to allow the use of one fewer pair of plates, which was done to allow different leverage to reduce the clutch pull. What's interesting is right after this was done, the '07's started having trouble smoking clutches.

Stick with the '06 kit.

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 09, 2009 - 10:13 AM

Make sure you don't get the 07 and up kit...
Many dealerships will give you the same kit because the parts are listed as fitting 06-09...But it's not the same (there are 1 extra friction, and one extra steel plate)...
I switched from the stock 07 setup, and went with a complete 06 Hinson kit, and couldn't be happier...Big difference...

• cowboyona426

Posted September 09, 2009 - 10:45 AM

The early kit is the one you want. The '07 and later have a different pressure plate and spring set to allow the use of one fewer pair of plates, which was done to allow different leverage to reduce the clutch pull. What's interesting is right after this was done, the '07's started having trouble smoking clutches.

Stick with the '06 kit.

Looks to me like I could just order a few 01 parts (inner plate, boss spring and that other flat thin plate) and have a DIY GYT-R kit... my clutch is in good shape other than having a bit of grab and squeal like my 00 had before the 01 clutch mod.

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 10:54 AM

The boss spring and all that stuff isn't needed with the '06, IMO. Mine have both worked nearly as well as the full Hinson in my '03 the whole time we've had them, and both of us are fairly tough on the clutch at times. I think if you just went back with a new OEM plate stack and springs to start with, your problem would evaporate.

The " '01 Fix" has a tendency to increase clutch drag.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DBMX 925

Posted September 10, 2009 - 06:34 AM

I have a GYTR cluch ready to go in and was wondering if I need the extra parts on my 06. I kept going over the benefits in my head and can't seem to find any. So Gray you just use the typical fiber steel config with the skinny fiber as the first plate? Thanks in advance.

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2009 - 06:44 AM

I'd be prone to leave the boss spring and spring plate out, yes. If the clutch grabs, or its catch point is too late, then add it in.

• SXP

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:19 PM

Gray - Is there anyway to tell if either kit would work on an 07 WR450?

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2009 - 09:14 PM

Reviewing the clutch components, my guess would be that the '06 YZF kit has the best chance, but the '06 WR clutch has 8 friction plate like the '07 YZ does, so the leverage on the release arm may be such that it would not release the clutch satisfactorily. So, I'm not sure.

• DBMX 925

Posted September 14, 2009 - 04:02 PM

Just for S & G I put the whole GYTR in to try. I'll let ya know how it shakes out.

• DBMX 925

Posted October 24, 2009 - 11:55 PM

It's ok with all the goodies, didn't get out till last Thursday. I need to ride more.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.