YZ450 2008 hard starting when hot...

6 replies to this topic
  • Ridon

Posted September 08, 2009 - 10:25 PM

Recently i put a new Merge racing fuel screw and also i changed the jetting with a new JD Jetting kit. As the instructions recommended i changed the needle and i removed the clip in 3d position as i use a stock exhaust, also i changed the main jet to 170 as also recommended by the kit instructions. The bike runs better that ever but when hot it's really painfull and difficult to start. What can i do?

• buzzfin

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:33 AM

Does it start any easier if you put it in neutral first? I found that my '09 starts in 1 or 2 kicks when hot if I pop it into neutral first.

• schrode

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:35 AM

are the valves adjusted to spec.?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ridon

Posted September 09, 2009 - 11:33 AM

I always put it on neutral before starting and yes the valves are adjusted.

• wondermuscle

Posted September 09, 2009 - 03:12 PM

I have found that the diameter of the tip on the fuel screws is not very accurate. I found that with the zipty fuel screw the bike runs richer than than the stock fuel screw at the same setting. So I would recommend adjusting the fuel screw and see if that helps the issue. I also think that a 170 is a bit rich, I run a 165 year round and a 48 pilot jet. It starts better with a 45 pilot but it feels a bit lean to me. I'm in southern California and ride that jetting both in the desert and in the mountains.

With a stock exhaust I would start with a 162 main, 45 pilot with your JD stuff.

Good luck

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 03:27 PM

I also think that a 170 is a bit rich, ...

JD kits tend to require larger jets do to the custom needles.

Regarding the fuel screw, you have a point as to the direct interchangeability of the settings. It's wise to trim the screw by ear rather than by counting:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

• Ridon

Posted September 13, 2009 - 08:31 AM

Well, i adjusted the fuel screw and the problem is gone. Thank you for your help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.