HELP! YZ426 Leaking Coolant

6 replies to this topic
  • johnnyuterus

Posted September 08, 2009 - 05:23 PM

When I first bought the bike the previous owner had been using a very cheap coolant so the bike was over heating left right and center...after 20 mins it would puke out coolant and basically the entire rad would empty out!

I have since flushed the rad and it seemed there were no blockages, and replaced the old coolant with Engine Ice, the bike runs much better however after so long a lot of the coolant is leaking out the over flow hose.

We were riding on a VERY hot day and my friend who happens to also have a 426 was riding with me and his seemed to be leaking out at about the same rate but every time we checked his coolant level it was about the same and mine was leaking below the rad gills....as in you could no longer see coolant inside.

What could this be? the bike runs amazingly well other than that, starts first kick other than if it's a hot start, but I think that is due to a fouled up plug which I will be replacing.

It pulls hard through all gears and otherwise runs like a champ!

Please any and all suggestions are welcome!

• rufusz

Posted September 09, 2009 - 01:28 AM

1. Too much coolant: it will puke it out on the overflow hose
2. They like air flow: if you stop and let it running in a couple of minutes it will boil
3. If it boils too much, the head-gasket could be the problem

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:58 AM

Have the cap tested.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • johnnyuterus

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:50 AM

1. Too much coolant: it will puke it out on the overflow hose
2. They like air flow: if you stop and let it running in a couple of minutes it will boil
3. If it boils too much, the head-gasket could be the problem

Alot of people have said head gasket but it is only leaking out of the over flow...what other tell tale sings should I look for to inspect for blown head gasket?

• duecebigalow

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:48 PM

On my RMZ450 the only symptom of my blown head gasket was the coolant out the overflow.

Even when i pulled the head off the gasket looked fine & i thought i'd wasted my time but when i put it back together with new oem gaskets the problem was gone, never lost coolant again.

• broncomoto

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:49 PM

check the impeller cover. if there's spooge there then its the impeller seal. on my 2006 yz450fv, changing the impeller seal(s) was easy, and it fixed right up. Bronco

• johnnyuterus

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:39 PM

check the impeller cover. if there's spooge there then its the impeller seal. on my 2006 yz450fv, changing the impeller seal(s) was easy, and it fixed right up. Bronco

Sorry what do you mean by spooge?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.