It's Here...the 2010 YZ450F

1000 replies to this topic
  • PapaSneakyHoleshot

Posted November 21, 2009 - 11:33 AM

I just wish they'd hurry up and release them. Thanks for the vid Rickk. I'm with you Grayracer, I wish there were more tracks like that around here. Tight technical tracks are an epidemic in New Mexico, I hate em, but the mini-dads love them, and that's who the track owners listen to. Sorry to get off topic.

• NMdesertRacer

Posted November 21, 2009 - 05:13 PM

I just wish they'd hurry up and release them. Thanks for the vid Rickk. I'm with you Grayracer, I wish there were more tracks like that around here. Tight technical tracks are an epidemic in New Mexico, I hate em, but the mini-dads love them, and that's who the track owners listen to. Sorry to get off topic.

We dont have to many tracks in NM im glad just to be able to race.

• MRD RACING

Posted November 24, 2009 - 01:04 PM

The graphs are all set up a little different, but see below for a quick comparison.

2010 Yamaha YZ450F:
Posted Image

2010 Honda CRF450R:
Posted Image

2010 Kawasaki KX450F:
Posted Image

2010 Suzuki RM-Z450:
Posted Image

it would be interesting to see a dyno of the DRD because I was just looking at the DRD on Langstons 2010 at Starwest 30 min. ago and it does not have a loop in the header , it goes straight from the exhaust port into the muffler like the one Doug was running at the Vet National , seems pretty short compared to typical pipes

• rickallen124

Posted November 24, 2009 - 06:43 PM

it would be interesting to see a dyno of the DRD because I was just looking at the DRD on Langstons 2010 at Starwest 30 min. ago and it does not have a loop in the header , it goes straight from the exhaust port into the muffler like the one Doug was running at the Vet National , seems pretty short compared to typical pipes

The picture Dr.D has been running in the mags and currently on mxa's website shows the loop in the exhaust. I wonder if he is running something different, I can't imagine that that would be a long enough header.

• johnnyrunner

Posted November 24, 2009 - 06:52 PM

My new 450f just arrived it is still sleeping in the box at Prince George Yamaha. Only problem is I now have to wait until spring to ride it. I am gonna have a great winter doin' up my graphics and blingin' it out. Can't wait until next mx-season. It is always us guys in Vet class who have the best rides.
It is so funny, when the my guy at the dealer called, my wife was gonna blow off his call, and say I was busy. I was. But then she realized who it was, and called me to the phone. It was like the announcement of a new baby in the family that we have all been waiting for.
Other-than having to wait until spring to ride it ( I'll stick to my 250f for arenacross in the winter), I am so happy.
One thing fellas. Should I add more grease in a few places? And if so, where?

Edited by johnnyrunner, November 24, 2009 - 07:09 PM.

• mediumfast

Posted November 24, 2009 - 07:04 PM

I always regrease the linkage and steering stem with Bel-Ray waterproof grease. It's a hassle but it pays for itself in the long run. Congrats. Still waiting on mine....

• FZ1426

Posted November 24, 2009 - 07:11 PM

The graphs are all set up a little different, but see below for a quick comparison.

2010 Yamaha YZ450F:
Posted Image

2010 Honda CRF450R:
Posted Image

2010 Kawasaki KX450F:
Posted Image

2010 Suzuki RM-Z450:
Posted Image

Damn! If you read Dirt Bike mag they say the Kawasaki is the most powerful 450 around. These charts shurely don't support that "opinion".

Makes me wonder if Yami and Akrapovic don't have a little "understanding" going on.

• tim507

Posted November 24, 2009 - 07:36 PM

Damn! If you read Dirt Bike mag they say the Kawasaki is the most powerful 450 around. These charts shurely don't support that "opinion".

Makes me wonder if Yami and Akrapovic don't have a little "understanding" going on.

Most powerful does not equate to the most rideable...............

[COLOR="Magenta"]It is not how much you have, but rather how you use it:moon::excuseme::p[/COLOR]

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2009 - 08:00 PM

Unless they ran a chart of their own, they wouldn't really know that. "Butt dynos" are notoriously inaccurate, and would have told you that the '03 YZF was more powerful than the '06, when in fact it was almost 3 HP down on the later bike.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 24, 2009 - 08:36 PM

My new 450f just arrived it is still sleeping in the box at Prince George Yamaha. Only problem is I now have to wait until spring to ride it. I am gonna have a great winter doin' up my graphics and blingin' it out. Can't wait until next mx-season. It is always us guys in Vet class who have the best rides.
It is so funny, when the my guy at the dealer called, my wife was gonna blow off his call, and say I was busy. I was. But then she realized who it was, and called me to the phone. It was like the announcement of a new baby in the family that we have all been waiting for.
Other-than having to wait until spring to ride it ( I'll stick to my 250f for arenacross in the winter), I am so happy.
One thing fellas. Should I add more grease in a few places? And if so, where?

Congratulations!......is it a boy or girl?:excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted November 24, 2009 - 08:39 PM

I wonder how the FMF pipe would be on the 2010? I know on 2-stokes they made alot of difference.

FMF has a 20% off all 4-stroke pipes until like march I believe. You can get a SS muffler and midpipe for like $279.00
http://www.fmfracing.com/

http://www.fmfracing...0_YAMAHA_YZ450F

• FZ1426

Posted November 24, 2009 - 08:58 PM

Most powerful does not equate to the most rideable...............

[COLOR="Magenta"]It is not how much you have, but rather how you use it:moon::excuseme::p[/COLOR]

Yeah, I know. The point is Dirt Bike makes a big deal about THE POWER of the KX, not how ridable it is.

And obviously they wouldn't KNOW that unless they did a dyno comparison of their own. Duh. The point is they emphatically call the KX the most powerful of the 450's.

Jeez, lighten up you guys. It's just an observation.

• DPW

Posted November 25, 2009 - 10:53 AM

I wonder how the FMF pipe would be on the 2010? I know on 2-stokes they made alot of difference.

FMF has a 20% off all 4-stroke pipes until like march I believe. You can get a SS muffler and midpipe for like $279.00
http://www.fmfracing.com/

http://www.fmfracing...0_YAMAHA_YZ450F

Pro Circuit is offering the same deal 20% off.... http://www.procircui...from_mitch.html

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 25, 2009 - 03:36 PM

agreed

I agree also but the pipes just seem to look so good on the bikes and to me seems like they smooth the power out.

• DPW

Posted November 25, 2009 - 05:35 PM

Rickk...just curious what skill level do you ride/race and how much do you weigh and height

Thank you for the honest review....

• mediumfast

Posted November 25, 2009 - 05:40 PM

Different pipes do different things to the power curve. I think it's wise not to run out and buy the first pipe that's available for a new bike. I'm going to wait until everyone is in the game before I spend any money. Also you have to know what you want and what kind of riding you are doing. Some systems are designed to really focus power in a certain area of the curve. Yamaha designed the 2010 YZ450 to have a lot of low to mid power. You might not want to buy a system that further inhances this trait if you are going to ride big outdoor tracks with many high speed sections. Pipe shootouts are great sources of information. Another thing you have to watch out for is dyno charts like the ones on the Akrapovic website. Unless all the bike were tested in identical circumstances (humidity, temperature) those numbers shouldn't be treated as 100% accurate. My point is there are a lot of factors that can influence those numbers.

• PureMX

Posted November 25, 2009 - 07:17 PM

so I also rode the 2010 YZ450 today (not my bike). Not that it matters but it was the white model. Very nice looking bike!

Keep in mind my current bike is a 2005 CRF450 so I base most of my comparison to my bike. I'll agree with rickk, the bike absorbs landings nicely. On hard flat landings the bike would hit and be ready to go immediately. I was very happy with the ergos of the bike. I'm 6' 2" and the bike fit nicely in stock form. I did notice the shifter was not were my left foot expected it to be (as if it was too short compared to my CRF).

Turning was excellent but again, I'm comparing this to my CRF that hates to turn. I would need to re-learn turning on a bike like this. The bike felt only slightly lighter than my CRF. Jumping was what I would expect, basically no weird traits. Power is very nice: smooth roll-on, no hard hits, not touchy. I didn't get out of 3rd gear and I could tell if you needed the power to climb etc. it was just a small rotation away. Again, my current ride is non-EFI so the '09+ bikes make a big difference to me. I thought the braking was just fine...for me anyway.

When it comes down to it, the bike did very little wrong for a guy like me. From the immediate gratification of comfy ergos, smooth but powerful delivery, excellent suspension...I could not wrong the bike......unless price is part of the discussion. At the current out the door price I'm hearing about, I would have a hard time justifying the purchase.

• NMdesertRacer

Posted November 25, 2009 - 09:49 PM

Thanks Rickk for that review!

• Scrubba

Posted November 26, 2009 - 12:54 AM

40+ Vet - 25 Yrs of racing/riding experience.

Rick, your current bike is a 09 crf450 am i correct?

• motojase316

Posted December 02, 2009 - 01:55 AM

Posted Image

It's HERE

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.