It's Here...the 2010 YZ450F

1000 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted November 19, 2009 - 06:46 AM

I have riddin with Aaron Yates another RRacer and let me tell you he can rip on a MX bike.

• twenty34

Posted November 19, 2009 - 08:50 PM

Some of the fastest RR's got their wings in MX. Not that uncommon actually.

Guys like Schwantz rip on a dirt bike.

http://motocrossacti...94C0EAB06A48BAE

Edited by rickk, November 20, 2009 - 06:51 AM.

• Sider_steve

Posted November 20, 2009 - 07:58 AM

Some of the fastest RR's got their wings in MX. Not that uncommon actually.

Guys like Schwantz rip on a dirt bike.

http://motocrossacti...94C0EAB06A48BAE

Sweet and it was a charity event also.
24 road racers riding MX to help children is a GREAT thing.
The new 450 looks like a fun ride to me.

• Pguard

Posted November 20, 2009 - 09:47 AM

2010 Akrapovic

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• DPW

Posted November 20, 2009 - 05:31 PM

akrapovic slip-on.....:excuseme:

Posted Image

• ProMed

Posted November 20, 2009 - 06:00 PM

The graphs are all set up a little different, but see below for a quick comparison.

2010 Yamaha YZ450F:
Posted Image

2010 Honda CRF450R:
Posted Image

2010 Kawasaki KX450F:
Posted Image

2010 Suzuki RM-Z450:
Posted Image

• Davey762

Posted November 20, 2009 - 06:08 PM

The slip on looks shorter (better). Akrapovic are sweet exhausts though.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2009 - 07:33 PM

Fifty two HP...stock?! Three more than the Honda, and 5 more than the KXF or RMZ. :excuseme:

• twenty34

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:09 PM

HP is over-sought if you can't control it and get it to the ground. My guess with these new YZ's they will have to alter everyone's mapping to take out the abrupt acceleration that everyone has been talking about. Similar to what we had to do with our 09 CRF's.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:31 PM

It depends on the individual rider's tastes and ability to manage the power. Certainly, in many if not most cases, you'd be right. But there are those who have the skill to make use of the power (or just find it thrilling and don't care if it makes them slower), or ride under conditions that make it more easily useful. In any event, the curve looks nice and linear, without any dips and peaks, so it may be easier dealt with than the raw numbers would suggest.

For those who do want to dial it back, it's nice that Yamaha has provided a simple means of doing so.

The engine is certainly impressive so far, anyway.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twenty34

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:46 PM

EFI is wonderful as some of you will soon find out, however, it's far more responsive, almost to a point of becoming too sensitive.

I'd say conservatively, the vast majority of 09 CRF riders made changes to their mapping to reduce the off-idle "hit" that will scare the pants off you in the right conditions.

On the positive side, EFI provides a very linear and tractable package in general. Explosive power on a 450 seems to be a dying breed, but I'll never miss the powerband on my 06 YZ. The mid-top end pulled to the moon. Bottom was a bit soft, but Dr.D solved that and then some.

IMO, most will love the EFI, but the ride reports I'm hearing thus far seem to indicate a minor change needed to the ECU to mellow out the off-idle acceleration. This will do wonders to keep the bike linear and tractable. Again, sounds very similar to the new Honda's. Eddie may just have a new audience to address now in this forum. I just can't wait to try one out before I form any more opinions.

Here's a treat guys....That Assuie sure has some speed.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2009 - 08:56 PM

Wish there were more tracks like that in the U.S. Lots of big, fast corners instead of the paper clip sized hairpins too many SoCal promoters are so fond of.

• twenty34

Posted November 20, 2009 - 09:03 PM

Yea, I've been paying attention to the video's as I'm really curious how this bike is gonna turn on the same tight tracks that you elude to. I know it feels light, but how well the front tracts in "paper clip sized hairpins" will be interesting to hear about.

I've noticed how light the front end appears coming out of corners in the video's thus far.

• racerxx276

Posted November 20, 2009 - 09:22 PM

This is on the subject of the low-end...

I'm sort of wondering if any one these day knows what throttle control is? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here... I've ridden the 2010 YZ450. Yup , it has great low end , but its not to the point of needing changing unless you want more mid to top... 450's aren't 250's where you can pin it from corner to corner, if that what you want , then stay with the 250's or start riding like James Stewart. It seems that a lot of riders complain about too much power... well make use of your right hand! Maybe they need to spend a week on a 1985 CR500, they will either learn throttle control or....(-;
That was my favorite motor.
Yup, the new YZ will do tight turns , what I don't like is how wide the bike is at the radiator /air intake area. Granted , you no longer need to sit that far up on the seat to corner...(-; my .02 cents

• twenty34

Posted November 20, 2009 - 09:29 PM

Yup, the new YZ will do tight turns , what I don't like is how wide the bike is at the radiator /air intake area. Granted , you no longer need to sit that far up on the seat to corner...(-; my .02 cents

Just curious, do you come off previous YR YZ's as a point of comparison?

• roylo

Posted November 21, 2009 - 05:10 AM

Im very interested to get a reliable weight on this bike. Yamaha Australia website lists it as 108kg wet! Ive seen written in this thread that Yamaha has it as 111.1kg (245Lb) wet and the Motoonline.com website mentioned here has it as 111.5kg dry.
Ive weighed my own 08 and its an accurate 111.5kg wet and full tank of fuel. Has anyone who already owns one got an accurate weight yet?

• DPW

Posted November 21, 2009 - 06:00 AM

I thought that was the issue with the "old" '08-09 YZ450F was lack of low end now it has too much low end...:excuseme:?

• racerxx276

Posted November 21, 2009 - 07:06 AM

Just curious, do you come off previous YR YZ's as a point of comparison?

I've had a 06,07,08 YZ450f. Its not an issue when riding , it just looks pretty wide.
Yes, the older YZ's never had much low end , but with carb work and a DR D pipe it would come alive. I like the low end of stock 2010 motor. I'll be putting on a Rekluse soon too.

• twenty34

Posted November 21, 2009 - 07:09 AM

I've had a 06,07,08 YZ450f. Its not an issue when riding , it just looks pretty wide.
Yes, the older YZ's never had much low end , but with carb work and a DR D pipe it would come alive. I like the low end of stock 2010 motor. I'll be putting on a Rekluse soon too.

good to know...so the 10 takes an inside line better than an 06 or 08?

What are the pros and cons with the 10 in your eyes?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 21, 2009 - 07:18 AM

I thought that was the issue with the "old" '08-09 YZ450F was lack of low end now it has too much low end...:excuseme:?

I cant wait to do the 1/4 turn throttle mod to it.............Then you'll think bottom end! cause when you crack this baby.........better be holding on to ya azz:eek:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.