It's Here...the 2010 YZ450F

1000 replies to this topic
  • Aka.Goose

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:08 AM

Anyone see any hard info regarding split oil supplies or wet vs. dry sump?

1.2L dry sump...From the pics and cut outs it appears to be shared supply...:busted:

although it does look like it has a sight glass instead of a dipstick...right where mud builds up...lol

• MOTOPHILE

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:09 AM

Usually FI means metal gas tank. Thats a couple pounds right there. And I do wonder about the hotseat...?

• Wiz636

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:11 AM

Usually FI means metal gas tank. Thats a couple pounds right there. And I do wonder about the hotseat...?

It says that it has a semi-translucent tank so you can see the fuel level easier.

• twenty34

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:12 AM

http://www.yamaha-mo...11/0/video.aspx

• mx730md

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:12 AM

tank is plastic , i think the rmz is the only bike to use a metal tank but i could be wrong. i dont really follow any other brand besides yamaha and a few off brands like husky...

• Luv2crash

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:13 AM

I'm an off-roader so i'm anxious to see who puts out the first big tank and what it looks like! Bring on the 18" wheel and a headlight too!

• KtmKramer

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:15 AM

Correct. Yam, Kaw and Honda have plastic tanks. What is the bulbous thing at the beginning of the header right as it comes out of the cylinder? Must be the resonator? Function?

tank is plastic , i think the rmz is the only bike to use a metal tank but i could be wrong. i dont really follow any other brand besides yamaha and a few off brands like husky...

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:17 AM

1.2L dry sump...From the pics and cut outs it appears to be shared supply...:busted:

Source?

Usually FI means metal gas tank.

It says that it has a semi-translucent tank so you can see the fuel level easier.

I wonder what sort of metal they have that's translucent. :thumbsup:

• Wiz636

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:20 AM

I'm an off-roader so i'm anxious to see who puts out the first big tank and what it looks like! Bring on the 18" wheel and a headlight too!

Me too, in fact, with a 1.6 gallon fuel tank the bike is almost unuseable for me. I think that IMS and Clark are going to have to get pretty creative to increase the fuel capacity with the tank being located where it is.

Does anybody know if FI bikes are significantly more fuel efficient?

• gravelfreak

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:22 AM

Yamaha states: "Yamaha FI provides optimal air/fuel mixtures in all altitudes and wide range of temperatures for outstanding throttle response."

All FI systems do that. Actually they pretty much have to, to work at all. O2 sensor is completely useless in racing machines like this, it would help cruise, but since when anyone does that with an mx bike? It's all about pre-set maps. Only thing it could learn is some throttle enrichments and stuff, but those depend more on the rider specific "taste".

Now what I find interesting is the long intake. Exhausts have been tuned to give maximum power for ages, but on the intake side there has been no room for that really. New Yamaha seems to have "tuned" intake. It'll sure be interesting to see how much juice you can squeeze out of these.

Off-center crank pin is not about "forces" or something, it's all about cylinder gas exhange and piston speed. Together with cam-profiles, tuned intake and exhaust this should really be one impressive engine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MOTOPHILE

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:25 AM

The engine design is like a Ducati with no front cylinder...

• mx730md

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:25 AM

Me too, in fact, with a 1.6 gallon fuel tank the bike is almost unuseable for me. I think that IMS and Clark are going to have to get pretty creative to increase the fuel capacity with the tank being located where it is.

are 450 that thirsty? i ride a yz292f big bore and stroked and its not to thirsty. im pretty agressive and race in the A class ... i have a big tank on it 2.6 clark but i think if i want to i could get by on the stock 1.8gallon tank for the majority of my races..

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:28 AM

It could, but a really well jetted carb isn't bad.

Did you notice it has a 110w alternator? :busted: At the least, that indicates a much larger potential output than the Gen 2 bikes could dream of.

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOSE 07 YZ450F View Post
1.2L dry sump...From the pics and cut outs it appears to be shared supply...

Source?

http://www.yamaha-mo...?view=techspecs

http://motocross.tra...he-2010-yz450f/

• MOTOPHILE

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:35 AM

They can be. My WRR was pretty darn efficient, but after changing the map for max offroad, it drinks it pretty good.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:36 AM

Did you notice it has a 110w alternator?

The stator looks to be fully wrapped. 110W is good for two 35w HID :busted:

However, looking at the reg on the bike, I bet the bike is setup to run on AC only. If that is the case, there goes the HID as they need DC power only.

I wonder if the bike can be wired for both? or just DC?

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:38 AM

Off-center crank pin is not about "forces" or something, it's all about cylinder gas exhange and piston speed.

Actually, it's about exactly that. Offsetting the cylinder as has been done here clearly reduces piston skirt thrust. It also allows the use of a shorter rod while maintaining the less acute rod angle of a longer one, which is about piston speed, as you say. Longer rods are generally a better choice for high RPM power, as is a more over-square engine (bore larger than stroke), which was also done here. Offsetting the bore is another way to arrive at the same result.

Discussion of rod length/angle (section 3 of the post): http://www.thumperta...321#post6844321

• YamaLink

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:39 AM

My local dealer said their phone rang off the hook this morn just for this bike.

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:40 AM

http://www.yamaha-mo...?view=techspecs

http://motocross.tra...he-2010-yz450f/

Cool. Thanks, I hadn't got to that site yet. :busted:

• KtmKramer

Posted September 08, 2009 - 09:41 AM

A lot of us RMZ F.I. guys have reported lower fuel mileage compared to carbs. But the stock mapping, as it turned out, was very rich. I believe f.i. gets lower mileage overall, and it also currently produces less power per liter in mx bikes according to guys like Ron Hamp and Sisneros.

are 450 that thirsty? i ride a yz292f big bore and stroked and its not to thirsty. im pretty agressive and race in the A class ... i have a big tank on it 2.6 clark but i think if i want to i could get by on the stock 1.8gallon tank for the majority of my races..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.