It's Here...the 2010 YZ450F

1000 replies to this topic
  • jcross312

Posted September 25, 2009 - 08:33 AM

My buddy always saying his 06 crf450 is hard to start, but I can usually crank mine in 1-2 kicks. The difference, I always kick from TDC and he doesn't.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 25, 2009 - 08:34 AM

Images from MxDaD324 on VitalMX:
Posted Image

The bike looks freakin' AMAZING with those graphics, I like much better than with the black lower shroud showing!
I wonder where do you store the piece of wire that holds the tank up when riding the bike? :busted:

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 25, 2009 - 08:35 AM

I feel certain they are describing the process incorrectly when they use the term "TDC".

Gray, it's so common for people to put the piston up again compression before giving the bike a kick that starting at "TDC" has pretty much become the slang for doing that...I've heard it used a lot in that way...I don't think they're using the term incorrectly I think it's just what they mean...

And for that to be pointed out as a fault by the mags is silly...Most of our late model yzs are finicky starters at first, but after a full day or two on them you figure out the method that works best, and then they're first kickers...I'm sure it's the same here...Plus I think most TTers would probably use the Power Tuner to get it really dialed in...The guys that wrote that are just used to their KTMs, lol...

side note: It's interesting to see that the drd pipe doesn't have the resonator...Maybe no bueno for anywhere but on a track (dbs)...
Can't wait to see what Vance and Hines comes up with (kind of miss my WB pipe)...

• Flyin Dub

Posted September 25, 2009 - 08:48 AM

I feel not only did he not say it hanlded poorly...but that you completely missed his analysis.

If you ride a 450 back to a two stroke...or a 250f even...you quickly realize a couple things about 450's. First and formost...they like to stay at the angle they are at. If it's straight up and down...it likes to stay straight up and down.

If it's leaned over...it likes to stay leaned over. This is what I call the gyro effect...and if you own a small gyro...you know that the force is no bullshit even with small amounts of mass.

The other feeling you get riding a 450 is that it "falls" into corners. That is NOT a good thing. What he means is when the bike is straight up and down...and you want to turn it....it first very slowly starts to lean...and then as the "top heavy" mass gets far enough over gravity takes over and it "falls" over to lean. You must stop this fall at some point or you will actually fall over...

It's like walkign with a 50 pound weight above you head and when it tilted small amounts off center your ok..but as soon as it gets too far over the leverage it has over you makes you "fall over".

A good way to iillustrate what falling over is...is to take you bike in the garage or driveway...laneway....whatever...and first grab it by the bars and try to flick it side to side while standing on a side. Then take off the subframe, exhausts, gas tank and seat...and flick it side to side with the radiators drained...it's MUCH MUCH easier to do...and the bike only flicks as far as you want it to. No inertia effects because the center of mass is now closer to the pivot point of leaning side to side.

I get the joy of riding two strokes....four strokes...both big and small week in and week out. And that would be my exact description of a current 450. It falls into corners....and does so slowly. I have to initiate a turn on a 450 WAY before I do on two strokes or 250f's.....as it takes time for it to "fall". It doesn't "flick" into corners!

The downfalls of bikes that have mass closer to pivot point...is the dont "stay" where put. A two stroke, leans quickly and easily...but also gets changed from this lean position easily. So a four stroke, once leaned over...stays there till you bring it up. A two stroke makes you keep it there. This can be hard to adjust to for many people. It almost makes your technique more important.

Anyways...that's my interpretation of his comments.

Regarding his Kick i the video...I watched that a couple times and thought two things:
Wow that looks horrible for yamaha!

He should have known better coming into that roller like he did! A local track here has a turn much like that where it ends over a roller...and if you allow the bike to compress at the end of the turn by not getting turned and upright early enough...hang on for a ride!

Guess I touched a nerve. I'm not bashing the YZ450, just trying to get some objective riding impressions because its one of my two choices for a new bike. P Foster's comments about its weight relative to cornering reminded me of how much easier my 06 CRF450 would lean or drop into corners compared to my 02 CRF 450 or my 01 YZ426.

• harrperf

Posted September 25, 2009 - 08:53 AM

Guess I touched a nerve. I'm not bashing the YZ450, just trying to get some objective riding impressions because its one of my two choices for a new bike. P Foster's comments about its weight relative to cornering reminded me of how much easier my 06 CRF450 would lean or drop into corners compared to my 02 CRF 450 or my 01 YZ426.

You misread my post too!

I honestly dont care about the new 450 from yamaha.

I wont buy one...and don't want to buy one. I am just throwing out my personal interpretation of his statements.

• Flyin Dub

Posted September 25, 2009 - 09:38 AM

You misread my post too!

I honestly dont care about the new 450 from yamaha.

I wont buy one...and don't want to buy one. I am just throwing out my personal interpretation of his statements.

My interpretation of P Foster's review comes from his comments about how cornering the YZF "took a little bit of getting used to" and that you "got to actually lay the bike down into the turn". When he used the qualifier "not necessarily in a bad way", it struck me as sugar coating. He compares its characteristics to "most bikes", not necessarily four strokes or even 450's in general.

http://motocross.tra...introduction/2/

Cornering comments start at 2:15

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2009 - 09:52 AM

Gray, it's so common for people to put the piston up again compression before giving the bike a kick that starting at "TDC" has pretty much become the slang for doing that...I've heard it used a lot in that way...I don't think they're using the term incorrectly I think it's just what they mean...

Incorrect is what is is. The problem is that allowing yourself to think of "bringing it up on compression" and "bringing it to TDC" as the same thing is that they are two distinctly different points in the four-stroke cycle, and by doing so, you are allowing yourself not to understand how the engine operates. If you tried to set you valve clearances at the beginning of the compression stroke, you would find all the intakes tight. Slang or not, it's wrong.

• Wfomx463

Posted September 25, 2009 - 01:24 PM

in all the videos ive seen and watching stewart ride it at the ride day in dade city, it looks unstable. very skitchy and swaps a lot, not out of control but like a 125. just gets pushed around by the ruts and track. in the yamaha video his front end keeps dropping through the whoops too. at dcr he didnt even hit the whoop section but about 3 times and he didnt attack them either. troy adams was hualing thru the whoops that day tho. im not convinced yet. but the bike is bad to the bone! otherwise.

• sneipfmx

Posted September 25, 2009 - 02:15 PM

f... got the price on the new yz 450 13560us in norway

• ProMed

Posted September 25, 2009 - 03:18 PM

Love the detail and the GYTR parts. Looks like there will be no guessing if the filter is sealed or not, that's good. Great pics, the only thing that bothered me (just a little) is the welds on the upper subframe ends.

Are you referring to how they look in this pic?

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2009 - 03:26 PM

Well, here's something that no one has mentioned: Look at how accessible the rear spring pre-load rings are. (see the previous post)

• cowboyona426

Posted September 25, 2009 - 05:25 PM

I too noticed the swapping in the vids I've seen. In the Bubba vids, I thought it was because the "lousy" stock suspension wasn't up to Bubba speed compared to what he's used to riding with. But seeing it in the MXA vids makes me wonder... time will tell I suppose. We all know how picky the 06-09 is to setup, maybe the 10 is no different.

• Wfomx463

Posted September 26, 2009 - 05:16 AM

yeah could be the suspension/set-up of bike but js7 had works suspension on his. just a little worried about the stability. but i love my gold box (scotts) and that will definatly make it more stable.

• Davey762

Posted September 26, 2009 - 05:24 AM

http://www.vitalmx.c...aha-YZ450F,2998

Looks like vital and broc tickel had good things to say about the bike. PS Broc is rumored to be riding for geico honda next year.

• finthat

Posted September 26, 2009 - 05:52 AM

I am not sure but on the pics a few pages back it looks like the tank is kinda translucient so you can see your fuel level. Not a big deal but its a nice extra I guess. Every thing seems really open and accessable too...even the air filter doesn't look that hard to deal with. Mabe two extra bolts but then its right there and no tight air boxes to squeeze into(for guys with big hands like me).

• pinkston

Posted September 26, 2009 - 06:26 AM

I too noticed the swapping in the vids I've seen. In the Bubba vids, I thought it was because the "lousy" stock suspension wasn't up to Bubba speed compared to what he's used to riding with. But seeing it in the MXA vids makes me wonder... time will tell I suppose. We all know how picky the 06-09 is to setup, maybe the 10 is no different.

agreed i was thinking the same thing.. cant wait to see the 2010 tests

• CANUCKER

Posted September 26, 2009 - 09:48 AM

So size wise this is about equal to previous models???

Will this bike still be good for the bigger guy??

thx

• Sider_steve

Posted September 26, 2009 - 10:24 AM

thx

It should be fine for the bigger guys.
Plenty of power down low and mid.
And a fairly tall seat height.

• finthat

Posted September 26, 2009 - 04:32 PM

thx

I got crapped on earlier for saying the seat is a bit higher than last year only 1/2 inch or so higher. :banana: I'm 6'0" so height is no problem plus it will be a couple years before I own one of these sweet rides. If you are a shorter rider that doesn't like the seat height now, then another 1/2" higher is gonna suck isn't it. If your taller then it doesn't make a bit of difference does it. I'll will wait for the crapping on to start again. :banana: (Why must I abuse myself so :busted: ).

• grayracer513

Posted September 26, 2009 - 05:52 PM

... plus it will be a couple years before I own one of these sweet rides.

If you're like me, you'll be another 1/2" shorter by then :busted: :banana:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.