It's Here...the 2010 YZ450F

1000 replies to this topic
  • SC_Spode

Posted September 11, 2009 - 07:45 PM

Actually, I believe they did. At least the motorcycle. In the early 1890's Dr. Otto bolted one of his newly invented four-stroke cycle gasoline engines into a bicycle shortly after he had it running in. The first motorcycle race occurred about 15 minutes after the second motorcycle was built.

As for the current development environment, I think just about everyone is in the refine the current state of the art mode. And US companies like GM/Delco/Delphi are right there with the best of them in that regard.

So, will the real Otto Cycle please stand up? :thumbsup:

(apologies to the non-engineers for the geek humor :banana: )

:busted:

• FZ1426

Posted September 12, 2009 - 01:10 AM

I am becoming less and less excited about this bike for some reason. It is very brave of Yamaha to make these changes, but nothing really revolutionary. I am looking forward to all the the ride reports coming any day now. Maybe I am just trying to talk myself into getting an 09. I always think that the Hondas look the best, but durability forces me to go blue. Man I love riding!

Me too. Don't get me wrong I totally dig the bike. But, the more I think about it despite all the technobabble about canting the cylinder, mass centralization, piston side force etc. it seems the only reason for all of it was just to get a straight intake shot. Not that that's a bad thing. That intake does give me a semi...If it makes that much more power then more power to 'em so to speak. Honda has been the most hypocritical about all their "mass centralization" marketing hype, especially with their CBR streetbikes in following the undertail exhaust fad prior to '08. That has to be the most obvious violation of mass centralization around. I think if anything, the thing that's gonna make this bike turn better is the new frame and 22mm fork offset. I definitely want one, but I'll wait till the '11 comes out with the fixes to the '10.:busted:

• honda597

Posted September 12, 2009 - 03:18 PM

Its good to see that the Fi tuner is easy to use.:busted:
Posted Image
http://Posted Image
My bike and tuner are ordered and will compliment my 07 YZ250 nicely.

Great to back in blue.:thumbsup:

• Ninja 1

Posted September 12, 2009 - 03:23 PM

Wow! I really like what Yamaha have done here....can't wait to see the WR!

• saccityfire

Posted September 12, 2009 - 06:31 PM

Aaaaaarghhhh!:busted:

The useless technobabble that very often has no relation to the handling or performance of the thing is getting me down.

Has anybody ridden this thing yet? Beginner, Int, Pro, Vet...lets hear about it please. :thumbsup: :banana: :banana:

• ProjectDIRT

Posted September 12, 2009 - 07:38 PM

i dont think anyone is able to do a test ride until the yamaha budds creek or somethin like that.

• twenty34

Posted September 12, 2009 - 08:14 PM

Has anybody ridden this thing yet? Beginner, Int, Pro, Vet...lets hear about it please. :thumbsup: :banana: :banana:

Let's think about this - Do you think the first ride reports will be anything less than "OMG, it's the best bike ever made"? :busted:

• rickallen124

Posted September 12, 2009 - 08:43 PM

End of the month yamaha is doing a press/ media day at Budds Creek. The mags will really start testing the bike the first part of October.

• rickallen124

Posted September 12, 2009 - 08:49 PM

Let's think about this - Do you think the first ride reports will be anything less than "OMG, it's the best bike ever made"? :busted:

Just like the '09 CRF450? Pobably so, but I trust Yamaha to do a better job than Honda. I've even heard that some of Honda's test riders, Gosselar in particular, told Honda that the '09 had issues but Honda just ignored them.

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 12, 2009 - 09:18 PM

It's gonna ride like this:
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gravelfreak

Posted September 13, 2009 - 01:29 AM

Just 3x3 maps, what is that, a joke? Or can the base map be changed separately? How simple they think an average rider is if they think more that three is is too much? And no option to use different maps for different gears? Would you want your 60hp mild, medium or strong on the first gear?

And not a word of a knock sensor?

• LEMMON1

Posted September 13, 2009 - 05:51 AM

im thinkin that im just cant wait till it hits the floor....very very good chance im gona trade my 250 for that wonderful piece of art =)

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2009 - 10:12 AM

Just 3x3 maps, what is that, a joke? Or can the base map be changed separately? How simple they think an average rider is if they think more that three is is too much? And no option to use different maps for different gears? Would you want your 60hp mild, medium or strong on the first gear?

And not a word of a knock sensor?

On your carb, can you have the pilot, needle, and main jet each perform differently at low, medium and high speeds? Across a range of +/- 21%? Can you do anything whatsoever with the timing map? Can you do any of this with the red/yellow /green systems this easily? Does any racing dirt bike have trans range sensors or knock sensors? Are any of the other three so nearly this sophisticated that this is not a step forward?

• gravelfreak

Posted September 13, 2009 - 12:46 PM

Are any of the other three so nearly this sophisticated that this is not a step forward?

Well a 3 by 3 maps could be generated out of dip switches :busted: I'm only familiar with Honda's FI and it is pretty much identical, but it has higher resolution. On the street there are of course way more sophisticated systems including traction control, anti-wheelie, separate maps for each gear, and a lot of more. I'm sure factory bikes have more sophisticated systems.

There must be an option to change the base map in the Yamaha though, because no way that is accurate enough for aftermarket performance parts.

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2009 - 01:31 PM

Well a 3 by 3 maps could be generated out of dip switches :busted:

Exactly how would you set up DIP switches to allow 15 different level settings at each of 9 different points on the map?

• Upnorthfro

Posted September 13, 2009 - 04:44 PM

I have an '07 450 and love it. I've been riding dirtbikes for 30 years and I can honestly say I can't ride the thing to anywhere near it's full potential. I want this 2010 just because it looks awesome. It reminds me how different the Ski-Doo Revs were when they first came out and revolutionized the snowmobile indusrty.

• Troutman

Posted September 13, 2009 - 06:57 PM

Anyone notice the end of the rear fender, gotta love the split tail :busted:

• Lankyrider

Posted September 14, 2009 - 12:53 AM

Well i really liked the 2010 model. I own a 2008 450f right now and i'm really happy with it. I think it would be difficult for most of us to learn the new tech bikes. I mean we all know how to change the oil or jet a bike,or clean the airfilter etc. but what about the new bikes? No jetting anymore, the filter is removed to another position and i really don't know how to change oil and oil filter on the new YZ...Personally i consider the 2010 an experimental model and i'm sure that we are going to see major changes in the future, i will wait to see. Until then my 2008 stays with me:D

• Ga450owner

Posted September 14, 2009 - 04:57 AM

I am becoming less and less excited about this bike for some reason. It is very brave of Yamaha to make these changes, but nothing really revolutionary. I am looking forward to all the the ride reports coming any day now. Maybe I am just trying to talk myself into getting an 09. I always think that the Hondas look the best, but durability forces me to go blue. Man I love riding!

nothing really revolutionary?
Are you kidding...almost 80% of the bike is revolutionary:banghead:

• Tau

Posted September 14, 2009 - 06:27 AM

nothing really revolutionary?
Are you kidding...almost 80% of the bike is revolutionary:banghead:

+1 :busted: :thumbsup: :banana: :banana:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.