It's Here...the 2010 YZ450F

1000 replies to this topic
  • Sider_steve

Posted September 10, 2009 - 12:44 PM

Yhea, if Yamaha reals in one of the Better pro's for next year I wouldnt be suprised if they get a AMA championship.

EDIT: Is any one else curious to see what some of the aftermarket exhaust companies come up with? I'm really curious to see how FMF incorporates the Mega bomb and Power bomb into that tornado design.

Yeah makes me wonder who will be riding it next year:banghead:

If bubba stays healthy and the new 450 is at par or better than the competetion, Chad Reed better not make the same wager in SX as he did in the outdoors.

• honda597

Posted September 10, 2009 - 12:48 PM

Has anyone noticed that the new engine has the exact same bore, stroke and compression raito as the KTM 450sx. It will be very interesting to see how good this motor is, as the KTM has a real good motor.

As for the weight, my 2008 YZ450 weighed 230.78lbs(104.9kg) without fuel but all other fluids included (I had my bike weighed by a race car fabricator on a killer set of scales.(that should be read "very accurate")

• Luv2crash

Posted September 10, 2009 - 01:44 PM

My local dealer today told me they were getting 10 2010 YZ450's arriving this month. We'll see i guess

• ProMed

Posted September 10, 2009 - 02:05 PM

On their website Yamaha's claimed "wet weight" for the 2010 is 245 lbs.

Honda's claimed curb weight* on their 09 CRF450R is 234.8 lbs.

*"Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride"

Links:

http://www.yamaha-mo...09/0/specs.aspx

http://www.vitalmx.c...da-CRF450R,2866

• jeffboyd47m

Posted September 10, 2009 - 02:50 PM

With the position of the rear shock resevoir, I wonder how tough it will be to service the rear shock. I have alway's done my own oil changes on the shock.
JB

• Wiz636

Posted September 10, 2009 - 02:52 PM

On their website Yamaha's claimed "wet weight" for the 2010 is 245 lbs.

Honda's claimed curb weight* on their 09 CRF450R is 234.8 lbs.

*"Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride"

That's it...I'm switching to Honda. :busted:

• KAS

Posted September 10, 2009 - 03:15 PM

Honda lies. Always have.

• ZéPovinho

Posted September 10, 2009 - 03:15 PM

With the position of the rear shock resevoir, I wonder how tough it will be to service the rear shock. I have alway's done my own oil changes on the shock.
JB

guess it will be easier sinse you don't have to drill the filling hole, or juglle whith the shock
I think you just have to lay it sideways, bleed the air out, slightly overfill whith oil, and insert the blader... no?

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2009 - 03:28 PM

guess it will be easier sinse you don't have to drill the filling hole, or juglle whith the shock
I think you just have to lay it sideways, bleed the air out, slightly overfill whith oil, and insert the blader... no?

Drilling a bleed/fill hole has never been necessary. But the bladder should be charged with 2-5 psi before the shock is bled, so installing it after the oil's in is the wrong approach.

JB

Wouldn't change my method any, as far as I can see. I fill and bleed through the compression adjuster. Something I learned from Dave Johnson.

• SC_Spode

Posted September 10, 2009 - 04:02 PM

The new shock resembles the one on the 87-88 CR500 with it's reservoir placement.

I have a soft spot for that old blood red 88 model.... *sigh*

:busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chandler729

Posted September 10, 2009 - 04:42 PM

looks like it would be a bitch changing filters

• Solid State

Posted September 10, 2009 - 04:54 PM

There are a lot of neat engineering ideas on this new Yamaha if you read the current details. I hope it works out. That said, it has to be the ugliest modern dirt bike I've ever seen. I was unaware Liberace was still alive much less designing for Yamaha!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 10, 2009 - 05:07 PM

looks like it would be a bitch changing filters

How so? Compared to an enduro bike, maybe a little more time is involved, but how difficult can it actually be, keeping in mind that filters are meant to be changed between motos etc. I'm sure Yamaha went to some lengths to at least make it simple to take off the necessary components to get at the filter. I would be far more concerned with how well the filter seals or how easy it is to check the seal than how quick I can get at it. Having had a 650R Honda, I'm not at all a fan of flat filters though. I have just never gotten the warm and fuzzy that everything is seated properly. Hopefully Yamaha has a good system for this one.

• Troutman

Posted September 10, 2009 - 05:55 PM

That said, it has to be the ugliest modern dirt bike I've ever seen. I was unaware Liberace was still alive much less designing for Yamaha!

I think its the sickest bike I have ever seen. I just hope it doesn't have all the issues that plague the the first year 09 CRF 450's.

• pumasforpets

Posted September 10, 2009 - 06:26 PM

its already there, look at teh header.. there's a hole leading to it, its that sort of silver potato shape behind the pipe, so there will not only be room for that, but anything else you want because that entire spot on the bike is now half daylight... no carb, no airbox... the pipe goes thru there like a rollercoaster, there's probably enough room to put your lunch in there :thumbsup::D:D

Posted Image

Holy crap! I need to see someone put a soup cooker mod on that pipe stat!

Sure, it'll add 2 pounds to the bike, but I think having a hot can of soup while your buddies are munching on pbj is well worth it!

• Sider_steve

Posted September 10, 2009 - 06:28 PM

Sure, it'll add 2 pounds to the bike, but I think having a hot can of soup while your buddies are munching on pbj is well worth it!

I think it will roast a whole chicken ,,half throttle for 2 hours,,season to taste.

• twenty34

Posted September 10, 2009 - 06:52 PM

That's it...I'm switching to Honda. :busted:

At least you know it'll be able to turn. :thumbsup: :banana:

• ProMed

Posted September 10, 2009 - 06:58 PM

Honda lies. Always have.

They all have lied for years on their actual weights, I wouldn't trust any of them. As I mentioned earlier, hopefully one of the tests this year will compare actual weights measured at the track.

• nickeenoo

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:05 PM

At least you know it'll be able to turn. :busted: :thumbsup:

Does yours turn? After reading your posts on the Honda forum one is inclined to think you don't like the bike as much as you make out on this true blue forum. :banana:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:06 PM

As crazy as that may sound, I remember way back when Honda came out with the RFVC engines for the XR350/500/600 there was a little cavity on the head or cylinder of one of those bikes that had a little cover that bolted onto it. Not sure what it was for, but I remember the magazines joking that it would be a good place to wrap a small potato in foil for an after-ride baked potato snack. Butter and chives could be kept in the tool pouch.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.