It's Here...the 2010 YZ450F

1000 replies to this topic
  • VilleKTM

Posted September 10, 2009 - 12:05 AM

I have far more faith in Yamahas new creation being up to par than i have /had for Honda. Yamaha reliability record, for one, is ten times better than Hondas (since the 80´s/early 90´s) ever will. So is the suspension etc.
If i ever (God forbid) did go Japanese the YZF would be my only choice.
Kudos to Yamaha for doing something that only Euro brands have done so far - Creating something different than the dull Jap mainstream MX bike. :busted:
Oh yeah - I think it looks awesome too ...

• grunkthump

Posted September 10, 2009 - 04:56 AM

WELL said Ville!! my thoughts EXACTLY.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 10, 2009 - 05:05 AM

Nothin like the unveiling of an ultra new, technologically advanced motorcycle to get the blood going and the mind off of the shitty current events.

Hey BUD, you hit it on the head........no wonder this thread could be a record. Finally some decent news and "change we can all believe in" :busted:

• ncmountainman

Posted September 10, 2009 - 05:15 AM

Hey BUD, you hit it on the head........no wonder this thread could be a record. Finally some decent news and "change we can all believe in" :busted:

a bit of "reform" for the masses:banana: still wondering about that weight,i'm seeing dry wts of 234 and wet wt of 245;theres 10 lbs in 1.6 gallons.....just don't add up if you include the rest of the fluids.
also if all these changes are for top end performance (i know thats all the mx guys use.....but) it makes that bridge to HS/GNCC that much wider to cross,i had to go to a 488 bigbore 13:1 w/crower sx cams and zip-ty carb on my 05 yz to get the bottom end pull i thought it SHOULD have;now its gonna be strung higher:bonk:

• ZéPovinho

Posted September 10, 2009 - 05:15 AM

... the direct injection 2t is the future.

done that in the crasy 90's...:busted:

Honda had a twin 400cc prototype on the Dakar. I think they only used it once...
they had a nice result overhall

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2009 - 06:29 AM

omg dry wet is ready to ride with out gas . gas weights around 6lbs . what level rider are you, sounds like your not very aggressive if you need a big bore kit on the 450 for more bottom end... gncc are mosty fast and open...

Don't try to start something with someone you don't know. :busted: Bob is a fairly accomplished competitor.

When a manufacturer publishes dry weight, it's DRY. No fluids of any kind, including the shock (sometimes the shock sneaks in wet, being a pre-built unit from a vendor).

Curb Weight was always what it weighed ready to ride with the tanks half full.

Wet weight as used by Yamaha is the weight with everything topped off.

RTR with a dry tank is rarely used.

• Luv2crash

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:05 AM

a bit of "reform" for the masses:banana: still wondering about that weight,i'm seeing dry wts of 234 and wet wt of 245;theres 10 lbs in 1.6 gallons.....just don't add up if you include the rest of the fluids.
also if all these changes are for top end performance (i know thats all the mx guys use.....but) it makes that bridge to HS/GNCC that much wider to cross,i had to go to a 488 bigbore 13:1 w/crower sx cams and zip-ty carb on my 05 yz to get the bottom end pull i thought it SHOULD have;now its gonna be strung higher:bonk:

Possibly you can get the power you want with the new machine via the GYTR plug in tool? I'm really not to familiar with what the device acctually does tho. But thats the impression i get

• bleake637

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:31 AM

done that in the crasy 90's...:busted:

Honda had a twin 400cc prototype on the Dakar. I think they only used it once...
they had a nice result overhall

yeah that thing was sweet! :banana: Direct injection two strokes will be the future though, pretty soon no one will be able to afford 4Ts. :thumbsup:

KTM supposedly has one on the shelf that they're getting ready for the 300. They're supposed to run at least as clean as the 4T and still make 2T power. I'm chomping at the bit for that.

• live4speed

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:39 AM

Looks awesome. I need a better paying job.

haha thats what i was thinking! lol :busted:

• live4speed

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:40 AM

yeah that thing was sweet! :thumbsup: Direct injection two strokes will be the future though, pretty soon no one will be able to afford 4Ts. :busted:

KTM supposedly has one on the shelf that they're getting ready for the 300. They're supposed to run at least as clean as the 4T and still make 2T power. I'm chomping at the bit for that.

its good to have dreams

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxbrewski

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:41 AM

Can any of you Photoshop guru's do a total white, yellow or blue on these? Replace the black plastic with those colors also? This old guy would appreciate it.

• live4speed

Posted September 10, 2009 - 07:46 AM

Don't try to start something with someone you don't know. :thumbsup: Bob is a fairly accomplished competitor.

When a manufacturer publishes dry weight, it's DRY. No fluids of any kind, including the shock (sometimes the shock sneaks in wet, being a pre-built unit from a vendor).

Curb Weight was always what it weighed ready to ride with the tanks half full.

Wet weight as used by Yamaha is the weight with everything topped off.

RTR with a dry tank is rarely used.

i would bet some $$ that Yamaha undershot the weight on that bike, i bet it weighs more around 250-255 wet. They list the 2010 R1 at 455lbs!!! hahaha that bike checks in at 475lbs topped off!!!! (by sportrider, mcn, mc-usa, etc):busted:

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2009 - 08:34 AM

Possibly you can get the power you want with the new machine via the GYTR plug in tool?

Good point. Probably quite true.

• devo1

Posted September 10, 2009 - 08:38 AM

Don't try to start something with someone you don't know. Bob is a fairly accomplished competitor

+1 You got that right, Gray. I heard from Indy that he takes out trees instead of going around them.:busted:

MountainMan, too bad you didn't make out to Taylor Park. Maybe next year.:thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted September 10, 2009 - 08:57 AM

thats right...we bad:busted: and 1.6 gallons of fuel weighs right at 10lbs
gray, can you actually get that much latitude from FI mapping? the only FI bike i've ridden is the new berg and it was flawless from top to bottom,but then again its designed for offroad;i've seriosly concidered that bike but the wt was an issue (257 full) although that estart was sweeet:smirk:
i'm gonna need to see some real world stats before any decisions are made:thumbsup:
devo,ya man;were already booked in the cabin for the wk of 8/15,hopefully everyone can keep their jobs t'il then:thumbsup:

• Icon

Posted September 10, 2009 - 09:34 AM

Regarding weight, I got this from the Dirt Rider 2009 shootout:

These weights are with a full tank of gas and ready to tide:

RMZ450 - 252 lbs
KX450f - 248 lbs
KTM450sx - 247 lbs
YZ450f - 240 lbs
CRF450 - 239 lbs

Yamaha's claimed wet weight for the 2009 YZ450 was 239 lbs.

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2009 - 10:16 AM

gray, can you actually get that much latitude from FI mapping?

Remember your stone stock '05 YZF compared with an '03? The whole difference between those two was the ignition map.

It just depends on how much range they built into the mapping tool.

The late Corvette prior to the fly-by-wire throttle models has multiple traction control modes that can either allow it to melt the asphalt at will or flat-foot the throttle without turning a tire, all done with the fuel and timing maps.

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 10, 2009 - 10:39 AM

The factory works model must be SICK!!!:busted:

• DR-Z250rider

Posted September 10, 2009 - 10:46 AM

Yhea, if Yamaha reals in one of the Better pro's for next year I wouldnt be suprised if they get a AMA championship.

EDIT: Is any one else curious to see what some of the aftermarket exhaust companies come up with? I'm really curious to see how FMF incorporates the Mega bomb and Power bomb into that tornado design.

• whatttup_g

Posted September 10, 2009 - 10:54 AM

Yhea, if Yamaha reals in one of the Better pro's for next year I wouldnt be suprised if they get a AMA championship.

EDIT: Is any one else curious to see what some of the aftermarket exhaust companies come up with? I'm really curious to see how FMF incorporates the Mega bomb and Power bomb into that tornado design.

its already there, look at teh header.. there's a hole leading to it, its that sort of silver potato shape behind the pipe, so there will not only be room for that, but anything else you want because that entire spot on the bike is now half daylight... no carb, no airbox... the pipe goes thru there like a rollercoaster, there's probably enough room to put your lunch in there :busted::D:D

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.