It's Here...the 2010 YZ450F

1000 replies to this topic
  • Sider_steve

Posted September 09, 2009 - 02:57 PM

The intake tract is really nice, only way they could do it like that is with the back tilted barrel and in the front like they did. Ever since I was a little kid, I always though the air/fuel should go in the front and out the back, just like it does with people..

:busted: :thumbsup: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 03:11 PM

Holy crap, 20 something pages of this.

...In a day. 230 posts, and 21,000 views in the first 24 hours. Maybe a record of some kind.

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 03:32 PM

lol look up the 2009 crf450 reveal

http://www.thumperta...ght=2009 crf450

OK, but that's a year old. This one's been here for a day and a half.

• rockstarracer13

Posted September 09, 2009 - 03:37 PM

im more of a honda guy but this thing is pretty sick!

• Sider_steve

Posted September 09, 2009 - 03:47 PM

I looked into the TZ 250 post I read on here.
Seems Yamaha may have been the real inovator.

"Through a series of arguements and studies, 1988 saw the introduction of an entirely different parallel twin, the TZ250U. Both Cylinders were turned 180 degrees. The exhaust now shot straight out to the rear, with the carburetors poking out on the front. This design gave a cooler intake charge and moved the balance of the engine further forward and lower to the ground. A single casting crankcase was used. Yamaha decided to leave the chassis alone, with very few exceptions. This new TZ recieved a comparatively warm welcome from racers around the world. Although far from perfect, it seemed a fresh change and a glimmer of hope for Yamaha.

http://www.tz250raci...the_tz250_2.php

So now we know where Cannondale and Husaburg got the IDEA.

• ZéPovinho

Posted September 09, 2009 - 03:51 PM

The stator looks to be fully wrapped. 110W is good for two 35w HID :busted:

However, looking at the reg on the bike, I bet the bike is setup to run on AC only. If that is the case, there goes the HID as they need DC power only.

I wonder if the bike can be wired for both? or just DC?

Posted Image

if you notice there is that black thing on the cilinder left side next to the botom of the radiator which may be the rectifier

• SC_Spode

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:07 PM

Great point - why the heck didn't they use a Ti spring...this will save a few pounds for sure....DSP Racing will get a ton of business

In a word - cost. The Ti springs would a add even more to the price in a soft market. FWIW, John Curea said the stock Ti springs they tested from the YZs didn't have the most linear rates he'd ever seen.

You mean like they did in the old Cycle World days? Where they measured and weighed things? Wouldn't that be nice?

Anyone else remember the original issues of Dirt Rider where they would graph the shock linkage ratios? :banana:
Nowadays it's almost too much to expect the mags to understand the difference between damping and dampening. :thumbsup:
But that doesn't keep them from using the latest $500 link from their bestest buddies big company 'cause they say it's da shnizzle ( not to provide a little free advertising, no matter what you think. No bias here folks, move along now.). :banana:

...In a day. 230 posts, and 21,000 views in the first 24 hours. Maybe a record of some kind.

And probably less than 6 worth reading. :banana:

The RAM effect some have mentioned: I don't see this as being feasible due to the relatively low speeds in MX - there isn't enough velocity on a sustained basis to pressurize the intake. But hey, I could be wrong. :banana:

And as for who copied whom in the design arena, well, as we discussed waaaaay back when I was in school, there are very few new things under the sun. What the ideas were waiting for were the materials to make them a reality (or the computer to help cut the design and R&D costs enough to make them economically feasible).
There were some really intriguing engine designs dating back to the dawn of the IC engine - they just didn't have the means (precise tooling, materials, etc) to make them a reality.

But hey, it's kind of like a PBJ sandwich. Two things that are good by themselves but whose total exceeds the sum of its parts. Sometimes the right combo of already existing items makes for really good stuff. :busted:

:banana:

• ZéPovinho

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:10 PM

Posted Image

Its quite hard to see how a bigger tank is possible. it will be interesting to see how it performs on the trails

unless you fit a tank along whith a diferent, lower sponge seat, outch!!!:busted:

• x2468

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:17 PM

Nothin like the unveiling of an ultra new, technologically advanced motorcycle to get the blood going and the mind off of the shitty current events.

• ZéPovinho

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:22 PM

That is a mighty fine 02' Cannondale you got there. :busted:

I knew this looked familiar:thinking:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kyle450rider

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:33 PM

I'm going to get flamed but here I go.... In my opinion that is the fugliest bike ever made!

• ReedRulz

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:41 PM

OK, but that's a year old. This one's been here for a day and a half.

The 09 CRF450 came out about 30 minutes before noon and by midnight had 180 threads th 2010 YZ450 came out at noon and had 189 threads by midnight so Im not sure what that guy was trying to say when he said LOL look at the 09 CRF450?

• capdoogie

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:53 PM

well it's kinda of funny reading these threads and the all arm chair quarter backing and so call engnrs out there. Bottom line, it is not how it looks or how diifrnt the package is compared to the other bikes. it's how it rides, plain and simple. The Honda had all the high hopes last yr. But Ebay told the story. Now it is Yamaha's turn. Ebay will shed the light for us again if this bike is not up to par. But I hope not !

• Greg_T_M

Posted September 09, 2009 - 05:00 PM

Haven't heard anything about a steering stabilizer. Thought this may be a stock item on the 2010. Would have been a nice feature designed into the bike instead of an aftermarket afterthought. I know cash is king right now but I'll soon be paying for one anyway for my 08. Did a few laps on an 09 CRF the other day and that is going to be a tough act to follow.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 09, 2009 - 05:14 PM

I'm going to get flamed but here I go.... In my opinion that is the fugliest bike ever made!

Im not crazy about the look of the new front fender.
But if I had that seat under my butt,my feet on those pegs and the throttle twisted.
That might change my veiw of it.

Dang Yamahaters.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:28 PM

if you notice there is that black thing on the cilinder left side next to the botom of the radiator which may be the rectifier

Yup that is exactly what the regulator on my 08 looks like...its more than likely an AC wave regulator :busted:

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:17 PM

And as for who copied whom in the design arena, well, as we discussed waaaaay back when I was in school, there are very few new things under the sun. What the ideas were waiting for were the materials to make them a reality

Witness the FIM GP bikes of the 50's and 60's. Four cylinder 500's were the norm by 1960, as were DOHC heads and 4 valves per cylinder. Then there was the Moto Guzzi V8. One of the two heads was backward on that one, too. When Honda entered the fray in the early 60's, things got really crazy. "Pentaroof" heads are at least that old.

• Family Man

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:42 PM

Yup and four strokes came out before the twostroke engine... the direct injection 2t is the future.

• ashes

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:09 PM

Still great stuff from yamaha, about time they copied other innovaters and came up with hopefully something better. Yamaha is probably the only company I would buy from in a first year bike.

X2, Although I don't think they coppied so much.

• 2strokenut

Posted September 09, 2009 - 11:19 PM

Yup and four strokes came out before the twostroke engine... the direct injection 2t is the future.

Whoa there bud, your in the yami 4t forum, careful!

Funny how people love to brag about ordering a completely re-deigned bike without even knowing how it performs first. Reminds me of the 09 CRF450. Kinda the same deal. Hopefully all the technology Yamaha copied and put into the YZF works well, and it probably will.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.