It's Here...the 2010 YZ450F

1000 replies to this topic
  • TooFast

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:15 AM

I'd like to see a center of gravity pic between the 08 and 09 YZ and the 09 Husaburg. I would be surprised if the Husaburg didn't have a higher CG and the YZ have more weight on the front wheel.

• bleake637

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:22 AM

I've got to admit, that thing does look pretty sweet. I'm sure it will ride pretty sweet too.

I just heard about another new bike Yamaha has though that's much lighter, makes way more power per cc, has less than half the moving parts, it's quieter and is super cheap to buy and maintain... oh wait, that's the YZ250 sitting in my garage! hahahaha :busted:

I'll never go back to a four stroke, but if I was going to, this thing looks like the bike I'd ride.

• jjj109

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:23 AM

Going to be difficult for all you offroad guys trying to get a bigger tank on this thing. Im sure someone will come out with something thats holds a little more fuel. guess yamaha really aimed more towards MX for the bike then the offroad junkies.:busted: yamaha did some nice work just wished they would have figured out how to keep it close to last years model in weight:foul:

• jjj109

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:40 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how they added that much weight. I figured it would be within 2 pounds of last years model.

Probably most of the weight is coming from the stator assy, fuel pump adds a little, def the new muffler is much larger than last years model thats got to be good for 2lbs or more, wiring harness weighs more for sure.:thumbsup: i would think the FI is lighter then the old carb because of its size and the fact the fuel sitting in the bowl. Does any1 have facts on the frames weight compared to last years model ? It looks heavier to me.:busted: The big thing is how it handles and rides on the track.

• rickallen124

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:53 AM

looks like dubach is making gytr pipes now>>> http://www.yamaha-mo...12/0/video.aspx

I talked to Dr. D yesterday and they are building the GYTR pipes to Yamaha's specs and building their own pipes according to their, Dr. D's, testing so the pipes will be different.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:54 AM

Could the weight listed for the 09 model be a wet weight without fuel?
Looking at the Yamaha site I dont see the double asterik's (**)like I did on the specs listed on some of the other sites that say it is wet weight with a full tank of fuel. Still don't have data on fuel capacities other than someone posting 1.6 gallons with no indication to where they got the info.

• mx730md

Posted September 09, 2009 - 10:03 AM

Could the weight listed for the 09 model be a wet weight without fuel?
Looking at the Yamaha site I dont see the double asterik's (**)like I did on the specs listed on some of the other sites that say it is wet weight with a full tank of fuel. Still don't have data on fuel capacities other than someone posting 1.6 gallons with no indication to where they got the info.

not to be rude but omg sound like you are looking at the spec sheets on yamaha website . it clearly states fuel capacity - 1.6 gallons. 09 weight is ready to ride that is why the weight went up in 09 to 238 from 220 in 08

• ah665

Posted September 09, 2009 - 10:51 AM

its def an incredible machine. to me, it looks like a true open class machine (kinda heavy) but looks like a complete beast. im a fan tho. and the weight going up is pretty much the same story with alot of the bikes switchin to efi. its kinda funny tho that it goes brushed under the rug thru marketing, but if you read MXAs article on Stewarts 09 factory bike, they make a big deal about it being 5lbs lighter than the stock 09. i realize that weight placement/distribution plays a big role tho, just something i was thinking about regardless.

either way, if i was in the market for a 450, id be signed up for one..it should be a hit.

• kree123420

Posted September 09, 2009 - 11:29 AM

Visually I don't like because of : a. The retard position of the cylinder. b. the huge exhaust sticking out the back.

Do something about the cylinder though; put a body kit over it or something it just looks too wrong.

What a bike though. Way to step out of the box Yamaha.

• Anssi

Posted September 09, 2009 - 12:09 PM

How about the rear spring. Is it still titanium? I know the titanium one is a lot lighter than a steel one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz_for_me

Posted September 09, 2009 - 12:18 PM

Looking at the air inlets, they appear to face inward on the backside of the shroud, rather the forward, as on a sport bike. That gives them an indirect pathway into the air tract, and should take care of the problem.

Upon closer inspection, I think your right. That would certainly be no worse than the "normal" intake configuration.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 09, 2009 - 01:22 PM

How about the rear spring. Is it still titanium? I know the titanium one is a lot lighter than a steel one.

Great point - why the heck didn't they use a Ti spring...this will save a few pounds for sure....DSP Racing will get a ton of business

• Ga426owner

Posted September 09, 2009 - 01:28 PM

Nothing out there like it? How about an ATK / Cannondale? :busted: Similar displacement and a cylinder with forward mounted intake / rear exhaust. I'm not saying that this is going to suffer the same fate as the Cannondale, but don't think that Yamaha has come up with this design without researching what else had been done by others.

Husaberg doesn't compare? What are you comparing? The coolness of the engine design? Did Husaberg and Yamaha have the same design goals in mind during their development? Husaberg has broken new ground in mass centralization. Yamaha appears to have aimed at optimizing intake tract design and combustion chamber flow. Different bikes for different activities.

ATK and Cannnondale....come on give me a break...you might as well say CAN AM to me :banana:

agreed engine design is cool, but sorry it still won't compare. The Berg is a woods weapon and YZF is a MX bike. Show me a Husaberg that will not break my teeth, my ankles and my butt on a 90ft triple :thumbsup:

• ProMed

Posted September 09, 2009 - 01:44 PM

Probably most of the weight is coming from the stator assy, fuel pump adds a little, def the new muffler is much larger than last years model thats got to be good for 2lbs or more, wiring harness weighs more for sure.:thumbsup: i would think the FI is lighter then the old carb because of its size and the fact the fuel sitting in the bowl. Does any1 have facts on the frames weight compared to last years model ? It looks heavier to me.:busted: The big thing is how it handles and rides on the track.

8-10 lbs is a lot of weight to come just from those components. My guess is that the perimeter frame added a bit as well.

Hopefully one of the magazines will post their actual measured weights of all the bikes.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted September 09, 2009 - 01:46 PM

AWESOME JOB YAMAHA - and it looks great too.

I hate to be picky, but can I order mine with an electric start? Now that I can finally afford the top of the line bike - my right foot is worn out from 31 years of kicking.

Ok I maybe I will kick for 1 more year!

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 01:46 PM

Hopefully one of the magazines will post their actual measured weights of all the bikes.

You mean like they did in the old Cycle World days? Where they measured and weighed things? Wouldn't that be nice?

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted September 09, 2009 - 02:02 PM

Holy crap, 20 something pages of this.

• William1

Posted September 09, 2009 - 02:25 PM

I will be interested to see if the shorter header is much of a detriment to low speed running or has it (like so many changes over the years) move the torque curve higher still.
I also notice a narrowing of the exhaust as it leaves the head. Strange.
The intake tract is really nice, only way they could do it like that is with the back tilted barrel and in the front like they did. Ever since I was a little kid, I always though the air/fuel should go in the front and out the back, just like it does with people.
No five wire O2 sensor due to a lack of electrical power, unfortunately.
I dig that the bike comes with a EFI pocket programmer. I hope you can up load as well as down load maps from it. Will be nice too if you could save the maps on a thumb drive.

• ebeck

Posted September 09, 2009 - 02:46 PM

I think it looks liek a good idea. Not sure if it all works but the idea looks great.
I hope it works great!
Only down side is.... who will pay attention to me and my 09 CRF450 now. :busted:

• Sycamore

Posted September 09, 2009 - 02:47 PM

ATK and Cannnondale....come on give me a break...you might as well say CAN AM to me :thumbsup:

agreed engine design is cool, but sorry it still won't compare. The Berg is a woods weapon and YZF is a MX bike. Show me a Husaberg that will not break my teeth, my ankles and my butt on a 90ft triple :busted:

If we're talking engine design (and we are) and not different motors for different offroad venues, then yamaha hardly came up with this all by themselves.

Still great stuff from yamaha, about time they copied other innovaters and came up with hopefully something better. Yamaha is probably the only company I would buy from in a first year bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.