It's Here...the 2010 YZ450F

1000 replies to this topic
  • armourbl

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:45 AM

Anyone want to speculate that James made the big move to Yamaha knowing this bike was coming. And Yamaha did what was necessary to get him so the bike would be on the podium each week?

That intake, as mentioned, as me wondering about water and other debris. The RAM air effect would be cool, but that kind of exposure could be risky.

I just bought a left over 2008 CRF450R, for a smokin deal. Probably a good thing I did too because otherwise I'd be choppin at the bit to run out and get one of these for more than twice the price. Gotta stay disciplined and wait for the first buyers to report back on issues, etc.

Way to go Yamaha on bringing some life back to the sport and bike design! :busted:

ben

• Luv2crash

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:45 AM

I think people are too worried about the weight and would bet money if they put there bike on the scale at home it would most def weigh more more than what they read in a magazine or assumed it weighed. Esp with all fluids and full tank of gas. Gas is heavy. And like has been stated i believe manufacture are trying to be slightly more honest about weights

• cowboyona426

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:55 AM

I've had extensive dealings with 2 identical 05 YZ450s and one would run right no matter what you did to it while the other is as finicky as a 16 yr old girl.

Nice to see you over here! My 00 was rock solid no matter what with no tinkering ever and I miss that aspect of the bike greatly.

• twenty34

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:57 AM

Talked to dealer yesterday. He will be charging MSRP for pre-orders. After the extras hit the floor...the usual 5%-7% off MSRP OTD I am sure.

Gee, that's awfully nice of him, but hope you realize MSRP in TX ain't considered a good deal - maybe in California. Even at MSRP, there's a nice margin there.

• DPW

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:04 AM

Gee, that's awfully nice of him, but hope you realize MSRP in TX ain't considered a good deal - maybe in California. Even at MSRP, there's a nice margin there.

dealers in TX...:thumbsup: :banana: OTD from a TX dealer will be 9K once they add all the BS charges etc.

Did anybody notice the taller seat height, nice...:busted:

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:07 AM

This may have already been stated but I see a lot of heat getting to the rear shock from the header.

It has been mentioned, but I think you might wander out to the garage and check your bike. On my '06, the mid pipe nearly touches the reservoir cap. On the '10, the reservoir is cranked horizontally, and the closest the pipe ever comes to the shock at all is the spring. Given that the bulk of the pipe is behind the shock, and at a fair distance, that most of the loop is shielded, and that even a 10 MPH front to rear air flow will thoroughly foil radiant heat transfer, it does look problematic to me at all.

i think you'll find that the wet weight is wet w/o gas,....

no thoughts on the even more oversquare motors bottom end ?

I believe Yamaha states that wet weight is including a full tank. They made that change in in the '09 specs, and a few people freaked out briefly when they saw the '09 was like 14 pounds heavier than the '08. Of course, it wasn't.

Sorry I forgot your question regarding bore stroke ratio and cylinder offset. You are correct in that if one were designing an engine expressly to produce its best power at a lower speed, you would do the reverse of almost everything they just did; smaller bore, longer stroke, shorter rod/greater rod angle from cylinder center line. But Yamaha's goal seems to be one of improving the engine's innate ability to rev, which makes real horsepower and torque at high speed, and let the cubic inches take care of the grunt.

When the engine needs less encouragement to build top end power by means of aggressive cams, etc., it naturally has better low end, so in the end, I think it will turn out fine. One thing looks certain to me, this engine is a potential powerhouse. I'll bet Ron Hamp can't wait.

• SUnruh

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:37 AM

One thing looks certain to me, this engine is a potential powerhouse. I'll bet Ron Hamp can't wait.

ron isn't usually into blue, but this may certainly turn him that way. he wasnt/isnt a big fan of the 5 valve, but now with 4.....hmmmm.

for 3 or 4 years now the R1 has been a 4v. i'm sure we are just a few years behind them. so really, this is proven tech.

• SUnruh

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:41 AM

Ga426...in what ways does "husaberg not even compare"...seems to me THEY were the real innovators here....just sayin'.

um, just saying....cannondale (remember them) did this 4 or 5 years ago!

efi

intake in front of the cylinder

exhaust out the back

problem was, a bicycle company trying to make a motor.
no matter how much the tried to fix (polish) that pig, it was still a pig.

• MOTOPHILE

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:50 AM

Yah I know... Just sayin what he was sayin... I have never paid MSRP. I think taking 7% off of the MSRP and then paying that price OTD is usually around what most people get when they get a "good deal" on a new bike. If I didn't just get a boat and have an 09 I am still paying on, I might be an MSRP guy for once on this new Yam. Should be some ride reports coming in later today?

• jeffgg

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:58 AM

And for sure there is nothing out there like it...huseberg does not even compare

:

Nothing out there like it? How about an ATK / Cannondale? :busted: Similar displacement and a cylinder with forward mounted intake / rear exhaust. I'm not saying that this is going to suffer the same fate as the Cannondale, but don't think that Yamaha has come up with this design without researching what else had been done by others.

Husaberg doesn't compare? What are you comparing? The coolness of the engine design? Did Husaberg and Yamaha have the same design goals in mind during their development? Husaberg has broken new ground in mass centralization. Yamaha appears to have aimed at optimizing intake tract design and combustion chamber flow. Different bikes for different activities.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sider_steve

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:01 AM

looks like dubach is making gytr pipes now>>> http://www.yamaha-mo...12/0/video.aspx

After watching that video,love the new hop up parts by GYTR.

I did notice that the GYTR air filter they showed looks nothing like the seat cushion looking thing in the cut aways.

I did find a picture of the airbox at MXA on their 25 things you should know about the YZ 450 F. And to me it looks like air comes in to the filter from the tank side. There appear to be air intakes on either side of the airbox.
I am very confident in Yamaha to not build a $8K shop vac, They know dirt bikes are used on dirt and know dirt is not good for any motor.http://www.motocross...95B8C7C4CD6C193

But if it does vacuum the track while you ride its Eco friendly.:busted: :thumbsup: :banana:

• stevekawi

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:11 AM

Not a first for Yamaha either! Approx: 1987 to 1990 TZ 250's all had carburetors in the front and exhaust out the rear!

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:25 AM

ron isn't usually into blue, but this may certainly turn him that way. he wasnt/isnt a big fan of the 5 valve, but now with 4.....hmmmm.

I think Ron is fairly colorblind, and just sees an engine for it's potential. I know the bulk of his work has focused on CRF450's in the dirt bike world, but he's gotten more real horsepower out of the YZ450 than anyone I know, and I believe at least one of them has won a Grand National TT. And yes, the 5 valve head is the limiting factor.

On the other hand, that '10 intake tract just makes me drool to look at it. It's almost as if they designed an intake port and built a bike around it. That, and the offset cylinder and shorter stroke.... a shiver just went up my leg, I think.

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:32 AM

After watching that video,love the new hop up parts by GYTR.

I did notice that the GYTR air filter they showed looks nothing like the seat cushion looking thing in the cut aways.

The people at Yamaha are not afraid of technology, are they?

One thing to watch out for with the GYT-R site is that they are known for not updating the product pictures very well. For example, they still show an '03-'05 flywheel for the '06+.

I did find a picture of the airbox at MXA on their 25 things you should know about the YZ 450 F. And to me it looks like air comes in to the filter from the tank side. There appear to be air intakes on either side of the airbox.

I think you have that right, and the inlets to the shrouds appear indirect, as I said earlier.

I am very confident in Yamaha to not build a $8K shop vac,

:banana: Aptly said. :busted: :thumbsup:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:56 AM

I think you have that right, and the inlets to the shrouds appear indirect, as I said earlier.

This is one of the best pictures of the filter that I have seen

Posted Image

• Camrose Cycle

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:03 AM

Love it, Can't wait. Just ordered one for our dealership and they said it is B/O until early October. So excited, loved both the 08' and 09'.:busted:

• Wiz636

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:03 AM

This is one of the best pictures of the filter that I have seen

Posted Image

No wingnut screw...nice! Looks like the days of filterskins might be over with though.

• ProMed

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:07 AM

I will certainly be considering a Yammy now after these have been out a while and we can confirm there will not be too many first year glitches. Little disappointing though that they are just over 10 pound more than the CRF..

I'm digging the white one!

• KJ790

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:14 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how they added that much weight. I figured it would be within 2 pounds of last years model.

• Family Man

Posted September 09, 2009 - 09:15 AM

Yamaha even changed the air filter! Its been the same for over 10 years!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.