It's Here...the 2010 YZ450F

1000 replies to this topic
  • Sider_steve

Posted September 08, 2009 - 11:24 PM

And yes there were 2 different answers to that question posted in the same thread.
Im sure one was right and the other was WRONG.
Now would somebody check the available data and verify the correct answer?

Answer #1
upper radiator shroud allows access.

Or answer #2
Access is gained by tipping the front of the gas tank up (back is hinged)

• yz_for_me

Posted September 08, 2009 - 11:30 PM

Ok, so I've finally had time to look this thing over a bit more. All I can say is wow! Not since 1998 (YZ400F) have I seen more innovation in a bike. It's obvious the Yamaha engineers re wrote the book on pretty much every single part of this bike. Hopefully this is a good thing. Yamaha took a HUGE risk with this bike. Like they say, no guts, no glory!

The only thing I really wonder about is the location of the air intake. In a lot of ways it makes perfect sense, but OTH motocross bikes operate in a harsh environment where all kinds of debris, rocks, mud, dirt and water come flying at them. Is this intake gonna catch all that crap and clog the filter before you exit the first turn? I don't know, just wondering? Any thoughts?

BTW, I went in my garage tonight and all of a sudden my '07 looks kinda old...damnit!!

• Sider_steve

Posted September 08, 2009 - 11:40 PM

Depending on where it pulls air from,if its directly behind the number plate it should be pretty protected.
And its up pretty darn high, so 2.5 foot deep water crossings for the guys that are going to trail ride them, might not be an issue.
But it could have some sort of RAM air effect also,helping to push the air/fuel mixture into the motor.
Hard to say without having one on hand to look at all the parts of it.

• yz_for_me

Posted September 08, 2009 - 11:50 PM

Depending on where it pulls air from,if its directly behind the number plate it should be pretty protected.

Judging from this pic, it looks like the upper part of the radiator shroud (above the radiator) directs air into the air box. This seems like an ideal way to get junk in the intake unless I'm missing something which is entirely possible. Yamaha's engineers are pretty smart, so I'm sure they have this all worked out.

Posted Image

• Sider_steve

Posted September 09, 2009 - 12:01 AM

Judging from this pic, it looks like the upper part of the radiator shroud (above the radiator) directs air into the air box. This seems like an ideal way to get junk in the intake unless I'm missing something which is entirely possible. Yamaha's engineers are pretty smart, so I'm sure they have this all worked out.

Posted Image

It has to pass though the air filter before it hits the intake. And if that thing that looks like a couch cushion with the cover taken off is the air filter,its a tough call as to where air comes in at.

• Tau

Posted September 09, 2009 - 12:27 AM

I hope the big tank is here soon As the "no exhaust to dent layout" is brilliant for off-road racing. I raced a husaberg the other day and loved everything except the forks I think Yamaha made this bike just for me!!!!!!!!!!!

Would like to C the shroud removed and exposed air filter.

???? Is the gearbox still the same as the old motor? I want to swap wr and yz gears to get beter ratio's for off-roads.

• Tau

Posted September 09, 2009 - 12:31 AM

only noticed pig tail curl in the pipe!!!! I wonder if this will be the area where aftermarket company's will make the diff?

• pace

Posted September 09, 2009 - 01:07 AM

Very innovative, Yamaha (I realize that all of these features have been done before, but bringing them all together in one package is an achievement).

As regards concerns about handling, etc. I find it extremely unlikely that Yamaha would have invested so many R&D dollars in this economy only to produce something that reads good but handles like a dog. And I see several possibilities for configuring an aftermarket oversize tank. I think that challenge will be addressed quickly by IMS and Clarke.

I'll be waiting in line for a 2011 YZF next year.

• SUnruh

Posted September 09, 2009 - 03:56 AM

only noticed pig tail curl in the pipe!!!! I wonder if this will be the area where aftermarket company's will make the diff?

probably not as it has to be a certain length to get the right flow and reduce the db's.

sure, there will be pipes. pipes and pipes and more pipes, but will ANY of them work?

• BrittB

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:29 AM

Very innovative, Yamaha (I realize that all of these features have been done before, but bringing them all together in one package is an achievement).

As regards concerns about handling, etc. I find it extremely unlikely that Yamaha would have invested so many R&D dollars in this economy only to produce something that reads good but handles like a dog. And I see several possibilities for configuring an aftermarket oversize tank. I think that challenge will be addressed quickly by IMS and Clarke.

I'll be waiting in line for a 2011 YZF next year.

It will be a challenge to make that tank oversized. You can bet, they are looking at the picture's as hard as we are and thinking ***.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DMC707

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:33 AM

Damn -- i was actually hoping for e-start . That would have made it a "must-buy" for me . as it is, i can wait a few months until prices fall back down to sticker price or lower

• MOTOPHILE

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:40 AM

Talked to dealer yesterday. He will be charging MSRP for pre-orders. After the extras hit the floor...the usual 5%-7% off MSRP OTD I am sure.

• highflyernick

Posted September 09, 2009 - 04:55 AM

Wow... makes me want to re think riding 2 strokes for this year... nahhh I can live with ridin a YZ250... I just can't justify spending that much on a bike, just the beat the crap out of :busted: Ill have to wait a year or 2 till some used ones come up for sale.. then it will be worth it..

• surfer-b

Posted September 09, 2009 - 05:03 AM

This may have already been stated but I see a lot of heat getting to the rear shock from the header. Also I would guess when turning you will have to really get up on the tank now that all the wait is carried more to the center, it will be interesting to see what the test reports have to say. I know why they promote these 4st's soo much, look at all the engineering and R&D that has gone into this making this bike, makes me wonder where the 2st's would be if that much were put into them.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:05 AM

Thats wet weight with a full 1.6 gallon tank of fuel.:thumbsup:
(didn't find fuel capacity on any site,but saw it posted here)

Are you sure the air filter question has been answered correctly?
I was reading something on motocross actions site.
That says "The air box is just in front of the gas tank (and accessed by flipping the rear hinged tank up)"
http://www.motocross...75E5F4BC573A994
Not sure how much faith I put in MXA mag now.:busted:

Ok in the time it took me to post this the one before it was there when I hit enter,,man its tough to type with just my left hand

i think you'll find that the wet weight is wet w/o gas,if you add it up the difference would only account for the gas;what about the 1.2 litre of oil/1 litre susp fluid/ and almost 2 litres of coolant?
yamaha is probly just being the most honest it has ever been about weights....if any of you have actually weighed your bikes in the past you know what i'm saying,i believe at one point not long ago they didn't eeven include the tires in the dry wt:ride:
i think they could fit more fuel if they made it under the seat like the baja tanks for the xr's (just have to have some serious nasa style heat shield)
no thoughts on the even more oversquare motors bottom end ?

• DPW

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:16 AM

probably not as it has to be a certain length to get the right flow and reduce the db's.

sure, there will be pipes. pipes and pipes and more pipes, but will ANY of them work?

looks like dubach is making gytr pipes now>>> http://www.yamaha-mo...12/0/video.aspx

• Ga426owner

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:25 AM

Yea I saw that also DPW...looks like GYTR has the act together for lots of goodies for this thing....with DRD

Anyone notivce the Airfilter looks very much like a Loudmouth Filter set up......hmmm Grey might be another "If you can't beat 'em....buy em":p
This is the first airfilter design change since 1998 for the big YZF

Lets see boys and girls....it looks to me like a completely new design .... yamaha has balls to announce nothing else will out handle it, out corner it. And for sure there is nothing out there like it...huseberg does not even compare

Brings a smile to my face to finally see this beast, Bike looks amazing I can not wait for a ride test:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:34 AM

And yes there were 2 different answers to that question posted in the same thread.
Im sure one was right and the other was WRONG.
Now would somebody check the available data and verify the correct answer?

Answer #1
upper radiator shroud allows access.

Or answer #2
Access is gained by tipping the front of the gas tank up (back is hinged)

Conflicting information concerning a brand new release that's been kept under wraps like this is not unusual. In fact, it should be expected. The answer I gave was from a source normally no less reliable than MXA (who have famously been wrong in the past more than once, as have we all). However, inasmuch as the first answer came in advance of the release, and one can assume that MXA has actually now seen the air box opened up, I'd say theirs has more credibility at this point. Agreed?

• grunkthump

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:38 AM

Ga426...in what ways does "husaberg not even compare"...seems to me THEY were the real innovators here....just sayin'.

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:44 AM

Looking at the air inlets, they appear to face inward on the backside of the shroud, rather the forward, as on a sport bike. That gives them an indirect pathway into the air tract, and should take care of the problem.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.