99 WR400 (dual sport conversion) questions

16 replies to this topic
  • redneckj

Posted September 07, 2009 - 08:09 PM

OK, I have a 99 WR400 and I have a street plate. Now I need to actually make it street legal. If you have this same bike and made yours street legal, what kit did you use? What kits should I stay away from? Also, what is the most aggressive dirt tire that is DOT legal? I am not going to be using this bike for alot of street riding, mainly dual sport riding in the mountains FYI. Who makes the best rear rack for a 99 WR400? Thanks for your help.

• redneckj

Posted September 08, 2009 - 04:39 PM

ttt Anyone?

• mrlopez

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:28 AM

Well I made mine also street legal but I bought my own stuff seperate from eBay and local shops,horn, turn signal, mirrors, bar switch, the rectifier and battery from baja designs or you can get a complete kit from baja designs that includes everything but it's pricey, as far as tire not sure since I convert mine to supermoto

• tribalbc

Posted September 09, 2009 - 07:49 AM

Tire wise Kenda Washougal Sticky's front and rear are DOT. These are the tires I run and I don't care about the DOT. The front is amazing in anything, get the 90-100-21 and the rear is really good for mud, soft terrain, rocks. Just doesn't like hardpack.

• pablo83

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:18 PM

Does WA require turn signals? If not, things get a lot easier for you.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 09, 2009 - 08:57 PM

The Baja designs dual sport kit comes complete headlight, taillight,turn signals,Battery,rectifier regulator and control switches.
Way easier than piecing it all together.
http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=339

The first page will show you all the kit comes with,just go to the next page to locate the part number for Yamaha. (use the 03 model)

• whatttup_g

Posted September 10, 2009 - 11:14 AM

i second the baja designs kit... i have a '99 as well, and that is the exact kit i used

we found it easy to clip the stator wire and install it all in a half day, even if you wrench at six pack speed like me.. very clean kit, factory connectors all the way

• Sider_steve

Posted September 10, 2009 - 12:15 PM

Tire wise Kenda Washougal Sticky's front and rear are DOT. These are the tires I run and I don't care about the DOT. The front is amazing in anything, get the 90-100-21 and the rear is really good for mud, soft terrain, rocks. Just doesn't like hardpack.

I have a Kenda washougal stick on the back of my YZ 250 F and while I was working on my bike, I noticed in big bold letters.

NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE

It also has a very wide knobby spacing and most DOT rated knobby's are very compact in the knobby placement,giving you more rubber on the pavement.

You are correct on that it doesn't like hardpack.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted September 10, 2009 - 02:07 PM

I have a Kenda washougal stick on the back of my YZ 250 F and while I was working on my bike, I noticed in big bold letters.

NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE

It also has a very wide knobby spacing and most DOT rated knobby's are very compact in the knobby placement,giving you more rubber on the pavement.

You are correct on that it doesn't like hardpack.

:busted: Well I go through quite a few of them, have an easy half dozen lying around here and they all say DOT.
Maybe just Canada????????

• Sider_steve

Posted September 10, 2009 - 02:25 PM

Good call, Canada has different rules.

• Butta

Posted September 11, 2009 - 02:20 PM

Good call, Canada has different rules.

Sweet, so we can buy "off road" tires that have the DOT stamp on them from Canada? :busted:

• arctic954

Posted September 11, 2009 - 07:42 PM

PM Sent.....

The WR400 is ALMOST street legal......

Half the wires you need to connect everything are already installed....

Brake light wires.....Hi-Lo H4 socket bulb.....large stator power....

• redneckj

Posted September 13, 2009 - 11:25 AM

Brake light wires are already there? where are they? But no brake light switches. I have been doing some looking on the internet and it seems that procycle has some nice kits too.

• whatttup_g

Posted September 14, 2009 - 10:21 AM

given the likelyhood of WA following the nazi ways of CA, you best check if they will plate anything at all that doesn't come with a plate from the factory, before you get your hopes up

i know down here, all hope is nearly lost... we're f'ed big :busted:

• arctic954

Posted September 14, 2009 - 10:36 AM

I'm assuming your wr400 will be the same....

If you look at the 2 wires running from your tail-light that connect under your seat..... your bike SHOULD have a 3rd wire unconnected sitting there. That wire is for connecting the brake light switch. The other wire of the brake light switch will go to a suitable ground...

I have the 2001 WR426 --- I can't imagine it being that different.

I'll tell you what..... I just went out in the garage and took some pics ----- I'm going to start a new thread.....poor man's street legal kit.

• redneckj

Posted September 14, 2009 - 11:43 AM

I'm assuming your wr400 will be the same....

If you look at the 2 wires running from your tail-light that connect under your seat..... your bike SHOULD have a 3rd wire unconnected sitting there. That wire is for connecting the brake light switch. The other wire of the brake light switch will go to a suitable ground...

I have the 2001 WR426 --- I can't imagine it being that different.

I'll tell you what..... I just went out in the garage and took some pics ----- I'm going to start a new thread.....poor man's street legal kit.

i got's me a plate

• arctic954

Posted September 14, 2009 - 12:34 PM

If you have the plate already.....then whats the fuss?

Slap that plate on it and RIDE! :busted:

Seriously --- If you have extra money....by all means, buy the kit.... but its not really needed for the WR's.

I started a new thread if you are curious....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.