Going to DS my 2006 WR450 in TX??? (lights, tank, etc.)

12 replies to this topic
  • kwar63

Posted September 07, 2009 - 05:59 PM

I have seen all the post, etc. I am in a little bit of a crunch for time. I have decide to listen to my mechanic and install an eline dual sport kit. I am riding in the Trail Riders of Houston Burlingua ride in late Oct. and my bike must be street legal to ride. I can not find any good pictures of the Eline DS kits on my bike. I know it comes with it's own headlight, taillight, etc. which my WR all ready has but without the hi/low or brake light switch. I know the kit is expensive. I think it also basically uses other company parts, like Dakar DS or UFO headlights/taillightrs. Anyway, I wanted to see it anyone had any suggestions, etc.

I only have a month to get the bike legal and get it tagged. I am not sure how much trouble it is to get your bike registered for the street in Texas. I live in Houston. I think the TX requirements are pretty relaxed, like no blinkers, etc. The Eline kit has all the blinkers, etc. but I was trying to keep it simple and inexpensive but the Eline has to be by far the most expensive option. I do not have time to build my own and experiment, etc. So I guess I am in for the big bucks.

I also need a larger gas tank. What do you think - Clarke, IMS, ??

They are also recommending Pirelli Scorpion tires with 8 lbs. tubes. If I do all this then this trip is going to get expensive.

PLEASE HELP. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks'

Kurt
2006 WR450
2001 Roadstar

• FMAGX

Posted September 07, 2009 - 06:50 PM

Hey Kurt!
Don't worry about the plating process its a piece of cake. Once your kit is installed get your insurance(Geico is $100 a year for my 08) take it to the inspection station with your title and insurance tell them you need a green sheet with the inspection. Take the green sheet and title to the county to get your tags, they will send you a new title that does not say "off road use only". The DS kit should not take that long to install, the hardest part for me was the stator mod. not sure if the kit your looking at requires it? but you should not have any trouble getting it done before the ride. Next time your in Corpus give me a call, I'll buy you lunch.

Scott

• TLRam1

Posted September 07, 2009 - 10:37 PM

I bought the items needed and DS mine in a few hours over a weekend. A kit might be easier but buying parts was about 150 dollars total IIRC and after a few hours I was done.

Hardest part was fabbing up a plate holder, I tied the plate light to the running light in the rear fender.

Depends on your mechanical ability.

Bought from Procycle the Handlebar switch w/blinker switch (I did not install blinkers), Horn, Brake Switch, Mirror, LED plate light (busted it and made another), think that was all.

If you have a volt meter you will see what wires do what.

Bought an H4 headlight plug with pigtail from the auto store to replace the one on the WR. I used spade connectors so I can easily convert back to stock.

Liability insure. was 30 dollars or so yearly and they faxed me a card. I did not read, but I think Scott above has you covered on the process for tags.

Installing this was simple but the plate holder and light was a pain.

• 06_WR_450

Posted September 08, 2009 - 12:14 PM

Take a look at this link http://www.twtex.com...ead.php?t=14253

I'm am considering this kit that utilizes the stock lights. Just need to add a mirror. http://trickdualsport.com/about.php

Here is Tricks regular kit for the WR450 http://trickdualsport.com/yamaha.php

• kwar63

Posted September 08, 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hey Kurt!
Don't worry about the plating process its a piece of cake. Once your kit is installed get your insurance(Geico is $100 a year for my 08) take it to the inspection station with your title and insurance tell them you need a green sheet with the inspection. Take the green sheet and title to the county to get your tags, they will send you a new title that does not say "off road use only". The DS kit should not take that long to install, the hardest part for me was the stator mod. not sure if the kit your looking at requires it? but you should not have any trouble getting it done before the ride. Next time your in Corpus give me a call, I'll buy you lunch.

Scott

How long does it take to get a new title. I only have about 6 weeks. I think I am pushing it. ??? Thanks for the reply.

• TLRam1

Posted September 08, 2009 - 05:55 PM

You don't need the new title for plates, you will get those at the tax office than they will take your old title and send you a new one with different language but you will have your new plates, inspection and insurance for the street, at this point you will be street legal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TLRam1

Posted September 08, 2009 - 06:07 PM

The only thing you are pushing is getting it setup with what's needed for inspection. You can obtain insurance on the bike now w/o tags or a inspection.

You can have your inspector fill out this form, it will be needed at the tax office and many do not know about this form the clerks have to research this, better you have it ready for them. Mine was filled out by the tax clerk w/o inspectors sig. because they signed the inspection papers and green sheet, your clerk might be a stickler.

VTR-470

http://www.dot.state...rvletConfig.xml

1. Once this is setup with all the above working, next is

2. Insurance

3. Inspection (take all papers you receive from inspection with you) & Green sheet

4. Tags

Number 2,3 & 4 are just like you are doing this to your car, very little extra time other than waiting in line for the next clerk.

• TLRam1

Posted September 08, 2009 - 06:08 PM

If the kit is easier, do the kit.

• FMAGX

Posted September 08, 2009 - 06:46 PM

How long does it take to get a new title. I only have about 6 weeks. I think I am pushing it. ??? Thanks for the reply.

Ram is correct you get your tags right then, even after they took the off road title it took about two weeks for my new title to arrive in the mail. I was pretty shocked I got it back that quick.

• kwar63

Posted September 28, 2009 - 02:04 PM

Hey Scott. Finished the DS stuff. Looks and works great. Went with the Trick Dual Sport. Got it inspected on Friday. I will go try to get the plates Wednesday. The inspection was a non-event. I did not even have DOT tires but they did not check nor did they ask. Getting close. I put my Roadstar license plate on the bike on Saturday and cruised around the neighborhood. I can not imagine riding an uncorked WR on the road daily. I basically started off slow in first then shifted straight to 5th to keep the front tire on the ground and to keep from smoking the knobbies. I have no idea how you guys ride these WR's on the road daily. I could not do it. Take care.
Kurt

• FMAGX

Posted September 29, 2009 - 03:47 PM

That's great sounds like you'll be ready for Burlingua no problem. :busted: The whole proccess is pretty easy in Texas, just glad we don't have to deal with the regs some states have to deal with. As for riding it on the street just scoot forward on the seat and ride it like you stole it. Result = Big Smile

• kwar63

Posted October 03, 2009 - 05:42 AM

That's great sounds like you'll be ready for Burlingua no problem. :busted: The whole proccess is pretty easy in Texas, just glad we don't have to deal with the regs some states have to deal with. As for riding it on the street just scoot forward on the seat and ride it like you stole it. Result = Big Smile

Well my bike is now plated. It costs me about $150 in fees, etc. and another $150+ in taxes because I never put the title in my name and therefore never paid the sales tax.

Now my bike is ready for Burlingua but I am not sure my but is ready for 150 on that WR seat. I did find a cool ATV seat cover (Stearns) at Walmart for less than $20. It fits great. I am going exploring this morning around my neighborhood looking for some trails so I will see how good this seat cover is. It has the padding in it like riding shorts. Should be interesting. Take care.
Kurt

• 06_WR_450

Posted November 27, 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hey Scott. Finished the DS stuff. Looks and works great. Went with the Trick Dual Sport. Got it inspected on Friday. I will go try to get the plates Wednesday. The inspection was a non-event. I did not even have DOT tires but they did not check nor did they ask. Getting close. I put my Roadstar license plate on the bike on Saturday and cruised around the neighborhood. I can not imagine riding an uncorked WR on the road daily. I basically started off slow in first then shifted straight to 5th to keep the front tire on the ground and to keep from smoking the knobbies. I have no idea how you guys ride these WR's on the road daily. I could not do it. Take care.
Kurt

Please tell us which kit from Trick Dual Sport that you used and why. With or without turn signals?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.