What gearing is everyone running on 06-09 Yz450's??

10 replies to this topic
  • Rider_727

Posted September 06, 2009 - 01:45 AM

I have a 2008 YZf450. Mostly stock with the gay mechanical baffles cut out. I ride only moto tracks, and I am about a mid-pack B rider(depending on the day). I ride North Texas MX tracks.

My problem is on some of the tighter sections and night tracks. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is too big and feels in between gears at times.. 3rd and 4th are fine but 2nd could be a little taller.

Stock gearing is 13T-49T.. An old school guy at the track said something about jacking with the ratios like going to a 14T-53T.. He said they used to do it on the old two strokes to close the 2nd to 3rd gear gap.. I was gonna just add a tooth or two to the rear and experiment alittle bit..

What gearing is everyone running on 06-09 Yz450's??

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2009 - 07:58 AM

I run the stock ratio or a slightly higher 13/48.

Your old school buddy is a little delirious; 14/53 is practically the same ratio as 13/49. Do the math.

When you have a situation like you describe, you can change it by going either higher (lower numerically) or lower. Which approach you take depends on how the change effects things overall.

If you go to a lower ratio, such as by changing to a 13/50 or 13/51, you would find 3rd gear more useful in the "some corners" where it's problem now. You will also loose some top speed, and make all of the gears seem to be spaced more closely together, causing you to have to shift more. The closer spacing will also mean there will more likely be a prefect gear for everyplace, too, except for the big long straightaway.

If you go higher, as with a 13/48 or 14/52, you might fix your problem corner by making 2nd more usable, and you might like the wider spacing this creates in the trans ratios, since you'd shift less. There again, though, you have to consider: If I make 2nd higher for turn 6, what will happen on the approach to the jump coming out of turn 9?...that kind of thing.

• rjcook450

Posted September 06, 2009 - 09:07 AM

I run 13-50. Like Gray said makes thrid more usable, our tracks only have one to two long straights, where 5th is needed, so it works out good for my situation.

• Family Man

Posted September 06, 2009 - 09:37 AM

I also run 13 50 and it feels great to me.

• pbviking

Posted September 06, 2009 - 11:46 AM

stock gearings

works great for single track in my area

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kronlundace

Posted September 16, 2009 - 10:08 AM

I run the stock ratio or a slightly higher 13/48.

If you go to a lower ratio, such as by changing to a 13/50 or 13/51, you would find 3rd gear more useful in the "some corners" where it's problem now. You will also loose some top speed, and make all of the gears seem to be spaced more closely together, causing you to have to shift more. The closer spacing will also mean there will more likely be a prefect gear for everyplace, too, except for the big long straightaway.

If you go higher, as with a 13/48 or 14/52, you might fix your problem corner by making 2nd more usable, and you might like the wider spacing this creates in the trans ratios, since you'd shift less. There again, though, you have to consider: If I make 2nd higher for turn 6, what will happen on the approach to the jump coming out of turn 9?...that kind of thing.

I also use the stock ratio, but you really need to think how its going to effect the other gears on the track. If you want 2nd and 3rd tighter go with a 50 or 51 rear sproket.

Changing the front sproket by 1 is like changing the rear sproket by 2. If you really want to try change without spending a lot, get 1 front sproket and 1 rear. This will give you many differnt combos to try with your current front and rear sprokets also.

• yz007f

Posted September 17, 2009 - 05:46 PM

I run the stock gearing but indoor I will go down to a 12 on the counter sprocket. This helps for the tight sections and right out of the corners!

• yam314

Posted September 17, 2009 - 06:24 PM

14-52

• Slinkyman16

Posted September 17, 2009 - 10:58 PM

13-50 here on my 07 mx track only.. Helps pull out of corners.

• YamaLink

Posted September 18, 2009 - 07:12 AM

I usually go the cheap route and buy a 1 tooth smaller countershaft but then I, too, get that gap between 2nd and 3rd.

Then I was doing the 1 larger on the rear for most of my slightly-tighter riding. Worked well.

But works really well for me is stock rear and 1 larger on front if I'm riding in anything that isn't a super duper tight trail or track.

Since you stated your ability and race division: I find if I'm in better shape I can actually give up a little on the gearing and use my increased cornering speed to maintain momentum. But if I've taken time off from riding and the 450 is yanking me all over, causing me to fatigue like a son of a gun, I appreciate the tighter gearing.

• ja-mudder

Posted September 21, 2009 - 06:20 PM

13-50 is my track set stock for the dunes

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.