New hotcam now have hotpipe

7 replies to this topic
  • pismowr

Posted September 05, 2009 - 07:51 PM

Gotta 02 wr426 and decided to install ex. only Hotcams and started it up and noticed my pipes glowing red(GYT-R TI.) so I shut it off and cooled it , ran it again sounded fine just started glowing again when you gas it . My valves on ex. were loose with new cam so I set it on looser edge of tolerance (next puck was too tight ) . I checked and double checked cams for correct timing got them as close to perfect as I could . Im afraid I goofed somewhere . Any input would be greatly appreciated . Just dont remember pipe glowing like that before although it was dark out when I kicked it over .

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 05, 2009 - 08:23 PM

What is your jetting? A glowing head pipe is normal inside, with low light, but a glowing header outside is the sign of a lean condition in the jetting.

• pismowr

Posted September 06, 2009 - 06:13 AM

What is your jetting? A glowing head pipe is normal inside, with low light, but a glowing header outside is the sign of a lean condition in the jetting.

Im going to try it outside today , just seemed to glow pretty bright in the garage last night . I ask around and they said you shouldnt have to rejet for the cam . I might try raising the needle one . I did check the other threads on this pipe glowing and it seemed normal just dont put your tongue on it :busted:

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2009 - 09:09 AM

It has to do with the more aggressive timing of the new cam, and it's very typical of YZF's. When run in low or artificial light for more than about a minute, Ti headers will glow quite brightly. Double check your idle misture, but don't worry about it beyond that.

Mine glows red all the time. :busted: :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pismowr

Posted September 06, 2009 - 07:03 PM

It has to do with the more aggressive timing of the new cam, and it's very typical of YZF's. When run in low or artificial light for more than about a minute, Ti headers will glow quite brightly. Double check your idle misture, but don't worry about it beyond that.

Mine glows red all the time. :thumbsup: :banana:

Posted Image

I dont feel so bad about my pipe after seeing that guys , hope he`s wearing a fire retardant jacket my spine hurts just looking at that :banana:

It ran great today , just hard to start when cold which it never did before :banana: . Really nice having no more decompression lever :busted: . I turned out the idle mixture screw 1/2 turn and I will try it again .

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 06, 2009 - 07:19 PM

If you have stock jetting, you are running WAY lean.

• pismowr

Posted September 07, 2009 - 08:45 AM

If you have stock jetting, you are running WAY lean.

Thanks for the idea . I did put a bigger jet in when I installed gyt-r pipe-n-silencer ( wow what a difference that made ) but didnt mark down the # so Im going to pull it and check . I just put a new plug in same time as cam wondering if I should pull it and see what it looks like . I got pretty good at reading my 2 smoker plug . As far as the cold start problem , do you think that could be cause its too lean ? Sure runs and starts perfect when warmed up a bit .

• pismowr

Posted September 08, 2009 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for the idea . I did put a bigger jet in when I installed gyt-r pipe-n-silencer ( wow what a difference that made ) but didnt mark down the # so Im going to pull it and check . I just put a new plug in same time as cam wondering if I should pull it and see what it looks like . I got pretty good at reading my 2 smoker plug . As far as the cold start problem , do you think that could be cause its too lean ? Sure runs and starts perfect when warmed up a bit .

#170 main jet in it now . I played with idle mixture a bit , but still wont start cold :busted:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.