Header pipe glowing RED

6 replies to this topic
  • tvrjohn

Posted September 05, 2009 - 02:04 AM

Hi
Can anyone advise why my WR450 header exhaust pipe should glow red hot at just over tickover while stationary in a closed garage ?

Could it be tappet clearance issue ?

Also how can you tell if the rear shock needs a gas refill ?

Cheers

• beezer

Posted September 05, 2009 - 05:46 AM

If your header pipe is glowing red it means your rear shock is low on gas.

• byggd

Posted September 05, 2009 - 12:29 PM

You may want to read through this....

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440631

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DieselSJ

Posted September 05, 2009 - 12:44 PM

If your header pipe is glowing red it means your rear shock is low on gas.

I thought it was because the muffler bearing needed lubed.

• ndw2

Posted September 07, 2009 - 12:09 PM

I thought that was the indicator that it was ready to light my cigar

• bcs

Posted September 07, 2009 - 10:47 PM

Pilot jet is clogged...mixture at idle very lean. Remove float bowl, clean jets, reassemble, ride. (ok, that's what I found the last time the header on my 450 was glowing).

I'll bet it didn't start very easily, and didn't idle well--maybe you had to have the choke ON even though the bike wasn't cold. If so, its definitely a clogged jet.

• Alternative

Posted September 07, 2009 - 11:03 PM

My header glows red if left idling for more than a minute. My jetting is perfect, it starts easy (1-2 kicks hot or cold), idles well and doesn't bog. If it doesn't glow when riding it and it starts and runs well don't worry about it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.