How do I lap the flywheel/crank?

5 replies to this topic
  • live_to_ride

Posted April 05, 2003 - 08:55 PM

What do I need to do this, and where do I get the stuff? I am kinda hesatant to just take it to the dealer and have them do it because I want to make sure it's done right. Has anyone done the procedure themselves? Just in case I get lazy, can any dealer do this for free? The dealer I might be getting my bike from is new, small, and didn't even know how to start a yamaha 4 stroke until I showed him. It is not going to get done by him, and I'm definitely not going to pay someone to do it. Thanks!

Chris :)

• ThumperWR450F

Posted April 06, 2003 - 02:31 AM

i was going to do the work myself but i found it would be better to let the dealer do it this way i have paper work on the fix. if something major goes wrong"knock on wood" than the person who did my bike would be more to blame than i would be. i am sure that any authorized yamaha dealer could do the recall. they'll still get payed the same to fix it.

• chewie

Posted April 06, 2003 - 04:02 AM

I agree totally if you do it yourself you'll be out on a limb by yourself lol ... If something happens that is :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HighPlainsWR

Posted April 06, 2003 - 04:14 AM

I assume this a WR450 ? If so, the dealer will perform the TSB for free regardless of the mileage or warranty condition. Had mine done yesterday. They even adjusted and rejetted the carb to prevent a start backfire. Going to Moab Thursday for a good thrashing. I'll take my GPS so if it does break down I can give the dealer the latitude and longitude so they can come recover their financed asset.

• beezer

Posted April 06, 2003 - 05:26 AM

You'll need a flywheel puller for a WR, the YZ puller dosn't work. Yamaha's service bulletin describes the procedure pretty well.

• gloft

Posted April 06, 2003 - 02:15 PM

HPWR,

Did your dealer tell you what jetting change they made. I'm getting a lot of low-end bog and stalling - especially after bike get's good and hot. According to the manual, I should tune the pilot circuit so I plan on adjusting the fuel screw. But I'm also planning on going to a 155 main and YZ needle. Bike runs great from 1/4 throttle on up. Just need to get the low end dialed. Any other ideas? BTW, I ride at about 1500 - 3000 ft elevation.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.