WR450 Grey Wire: 6 or 3 Wire Connector ?

8 replies to this topic
  • HighPlainsWR

Posted April 05, 2003 - 06:53 PM

I left my WR450 manual at the dealers today. Duh ! I'm well into cutting the infamous grey wire and now I am confused. I'm 90% sure its the pure grey wire off the CDI that's part of a 6-wire clear plastic connector. But when I search TT I get postings that talk about the pure grey wire off the CDI that's part of a 3-wire black plastic connector. Help me out for a WR450, will you guys ?

• foursmoke

Posted April 05, 2003 - 07:22 PM

It's the grey wire in the 6 wire molex connector under gas tank but don't cut it just get a very small flat blade or paper clip and stick it in the end that mates with the other half of the plug to straighten locking tabs and pull out wire. Once the wire is removed tape it up tightly to isolate it and keep moisture out. Good luck! :)

• HighPlainsWR

Posted April 06, 2003 - 04:37 AM

Thanks Foursmoke ! That's what I thought, but that 10% of "don't know" got me thinking. Thumper Talk rocks !

• Lon13

Posted April 06, 2003 - 05:14 PM

Make sure you fill the hole left by the pin with RTV. The grey wire goes to ground when it's lnstalled (alternate ign map). If it were to short when the bike is running it would have no effect from what I understand. The map is only altered after you shut the bike off and re-start it.:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SurvivorMan

Posted June 21, 2007 - 01:35 PM

i found a grey wire under my left side panel in a 6 wire plug? is this the same thing? 07 wr 450. it is alot easier pulling off the side number plate then going underneith the tank.

• msgbean

Posted June 21, 2007 - 02:30 PM

i found a grey wire under my left side panel in a 6 wire plug? is this the same thing? 07 wr 450. it is alot easier pulling off the side number plate then going underneith the tank.

The 07 is under the left #plate. Previous years are under the tank.

• DanyR1

Posted June 21, 2007 - 03:35 PM

Does the 1998 have a grey wire ???????:thumbsup:

• msgbean

Posted June 21, 2007 - 07:47 PM

I don't think so.

• Solo

Posted June 22, 2007 - 02:22 AM

Does the 1998 have a grey wire ???????:thumbsup:

A 2000 does but it's part of a 2 wire plug.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.