Linkage and Swing Arm Bearing Install

7 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted April 05, 2003 - 06:48 PM

Well I got my runsted stuck bearings out of the linkage and swingarm, and my new Pivot Works kits are in. I have never installed bearing kits (other than wheels, which are very easy). I assume it is no big deal, but I do have one question...Kevin?

How do you space them? Just tap them in until the seals fit correctly? The swing arm has two per side and there is going to be some space between them. How do you determine how much?

That will learn me, grease more than once a year. Thanks, Doug

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 06, 2003 - 04:38 AM

Doug,
Although a little late, I would've recommended you measure how far the bearing is inserted into the swingarm prior to removing it. This measurement is taken after the seal is removed.

You essentially want the bearing seal to be flush, or even slightly inserted into the swingarm >> the reason being you don't want the seals to be destroyed as the swingarm (and swingarm linkage) goes through it's motions.

I do know on one part of your linkage, the bushings are too long to let your seals be touched, which is a great thing. It makes it a lot less critical about seal placement.

Be sure you clean up the holes where the new bearings and seals go. I like to grease the heck out of EVERYTHING prior to installing the new bearings. After everything is assembled, wipe off all exposed grease. MXA recommends cleaning everything up w/ diesel fuel/kerosene AFTER assembly.

When you install the new bearings, tap gently on the bearing, working your way around the circumference. You can also go back and forth on opposite sides to ensure the bearing is not cocked. Use a large socket, just shy of the hole size to drive the bearings in the rest of the way, after you have gone as far as you can w/ a hammer.

Doug, it is much easier to tap the bearingis in a little farther, than to tap them back out and start all over again! Like she said, "Be Gentle".

REMEMBER, YOU ONLY NEED TO PRESS THE BEARINGS IN FAR ENOUGH TO ALLOW THAT SEAL TO BE FLUSH.

Doug, how did you get your original bearings out, anyway?

• Dougie

Posted April 06, 2003 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Kevin. My neighbor with one of them big utility trucks pulled out a few tools and was able to pound them out with the big hammer and sockets. It was actually much easier than I would have thought. It is a good excuse to get myself some bigger, meaner industrial size tools. :)

• ThumperWR450F

Posted April 06, 2003 - 01:17 PM

GEE !! i guess bigger is better !!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BEAN329

Posted April 07, 2003 - 09:26 PM

Hit with a hammer ???, I use a simple bench vise, a lot less impact. Use a small enough socket to fit inside the swingarm/linkage or whatever and then place a larger socket on the other side of the swingarm, place both socket and part inside the jaws of a vise. Tighten the vise and it will press out the bearings. You can use the same vise to install the bearings. I have done this for a long time with no problems at all.

• HareAndHound98

Posted April 07, 2003 - 09:39 PM

You don't want to pound those into the linkage. Those needle bearings are secured inside with a special material. The needle bearings will fall out of there very easily. You want to use a vise or a press to install them. Make sure you did not lose any before you put the linkage back together.

Good Luck

• The_Missile

Posted April 10, 2003 - 02:30 AM

Bench vise worked good for me too. I started on sunday and round her all shops are closed. I figured too late I didnt have the right sized sockets to do the job.....a few ground washers and lengths of tubing later I had the tools I needed. Next time I will be prepared.

• BEAN329

Posted April 10, 2003 - 04:21 PM

how's the weather ??? Ricola.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.