Why is the WR such a big bike??

I just looked at some specs... compared to the CRF, the WR450 has a seat height that is almost 2" higher!! However, it has .6" LESS travel on the front end (the rear is the same.) I have a friend with a CRF and its hieght is much more reasonable than my WR. I have been exploring ways to lower my bike that are effective, yet inexpensive. I haven't really come up with anything yet. Now that I see how the WR compares to the CRF, I just wonder, why is it so big in the first place???

Jimbo

Well... I don't understand that argument since the YZF has the same seat height as the WRF... ?

I think that Yamaha just made a big bike. I love the WR... especially the engine. But at slow speed or in technical situations... it is a real handful. My old KDX handled that stuff much better, mostly because I could touch the ground.

Jimbo

Yamaha valve train and engine are taller. That pushes the frame higher and the next thing you have is a taller bike.

Most Eurpoean off road bikes have had 2" - 3 " lower seat height. Yamaha needs to go to a split frame around the engine (like their delta frame street bikes) and redesign the rear shock to take up less vertical space with a remote gas resevoir. I think they will get there with an aluminum frame. ?

Just had to reply ? I'm a bit over 6' and have long arms. Yamaha works well for me. Going riding with a vertically challenged friend next weekend. He makes his CRF look great.

Good topic. Other than the complaint of, "a high center of gravity," hadn't thought about this one. Just that my bike fits me well with my setup.

I am only 5'10. 30" inseam. It does not feel all that high to me. The sitting to standing transition is just about perfect for me. It will settle when you get the bike setup and the suspension breaks in. Get the right springs for your wieght. You spent a lot of money on your bike, set it up the right way. It will set an inch or two lower. Have you guys ever noticed when you get a new bike there is no static sag? I think the let the suspenstion top out to make it look long legged at the dealership? Just an observation. ---Mike

i need to lower it about 2 inches. i did some serious jumping today and boy did i give my suspension a work out. i was jumping off a 6 foot drop and landing flat and still didn't bottom this bike out.the suspension is awesome.so i think once it lowers about an inch or 2 i should be fine.

Yamaha called and asked me how tall to make my new bike. Based on many happy miles since delivery I would say that got it almost right. After installing my guts tall seat its perfect now. Score one for the long legged crowd. ?