Bike wont start

17 replies to this topic
  • paparick33

Posted April 05, 2003 - 01:47 PM

Can anyone here give me some advice on getting my bike started?? My friends and I are riding tomorrow for the first time this year, and the bike wont start.

The bike turned over a coupl eof times, but it wont stay started??

• oRGie

Posted April 05, 2003 - 02:00 PM

what have you done so far ? new gas, new plug.. any other clues ? whats been done to the bike since it last ran and how long ago was that ?

• paparick33

Posted April 05, 2003 - 02:06 PM

ok, the bike hasn't been run for a couple months(too much snow)

I haven't done anything with it yet. The thing fired uop for a bit, but shut off(did this a couple of times). I figure the spark plug is ok??

• oRGie

Posted April 05, 2003 - 02:40 PM

cos it runs a bit it means its not likely to be a big problem.. Its probably just the plug fouled. If poss, change the plug, at least clean it, drain the carb and put some new gas in the tank, rinse out the airfilter and lightly re-oil it, should be good to go.. :)

(you should change the engine oil if you love your bike !)

• paparick33

Posted April 05, 2003 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the help, i'll give those things a shot tomorrow morning. Now, the "grey wire"...how will that change the performance of the bike?? More take off, higher speed,.etc.??

• oRGie

Posted April 05, 2003 - 02:59 PM

I'm a complete noob when it comes to the finer aspects of WR tuning (only had mine a couple of weeks now), but from what I've read around here it changes the timing to YZ spec and gives more midrange punch. I dont know but I would have thought that means a sacrifice somewhere else in the rev range.. Good luck and have fun.. :)

• paparick33

Posted April 06, 2003 - 04:35 AM

getting ready to go get this thing started!! Talked with some friends last night over a few pints and they suggested that it is probably the near full tank of gas i left in the bike all winter :). Some times i wonder if i deserve such a nice bike!!! This fall i'll be sure to treat her right!

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 06, 2003 - 04:47 AM

Yes, COMPLETELY empty that tank of fuel.

ALSO DRAIN THAT CARB COMPLETELY.

I worked on a kids TTR225 2 years ago. He couldn't get it started. I asked him specifically, "What did you do to it just before it stopped running".

>> Nothing.

After pulling it apart (tank & seat, removing the carb) I found nasty gasoline in the float bowl.

It was bad gas he found in an old gas can in his Dad's garage.

As for the gray wire, it suppresses the ignition at midrange somewhere for emission/noise something or other. I believe it was on the 250F the difference ON A DYNO was unbelievable.

This gray wire has also been linked to jetting issues. It wasn't the jetting, but the f-ing gray wire.

THIS IS ONLY AN ISSUE ON THE U.S. BIKES!

If a bike runs good prior to being parked, it is generally the fuel UNLESS mice have moved into the airbox, or chewed up electrical wiring.

• paparick33

Posted April 06, 2003 - 06:24 AM

This site is awesome!!!!!!! :) Thanks so much for the help guys/gals.

Now i'm trying to decide which is the grey wire??
I know it's a 6-wire connection, BUT...there are 2 of these.

Looking at the bike straight down, front tire ahead of you, there are two 6-wire connections on the right side of the frame. One is a grey plastic connection, the other is black. Which one???

Also,which side of the plastic connector, the engine side or the main feed side??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • westrider03

Posted April 09, 2003 - 08:09 PM

Hey, I was told that it was a 2 wire connector on the right side of the bike. One black wire and one gray. Not quite sure though. Try a search for "gray wire" and see what comes up.

• The_Missile

Posted April 10, 2003 - 02:12 AM

What is it with old gas any way ? I had excactly the same problem :) until I remembered it MAY be the gas, drained it and put in some fresh (dumped the old stuff in the Ford Explorer and it didnt even cough ?!!). I guess something evaporates and then it is much harder to ignite ?

• Lon13

Posted April 10, 2003 - 02:43 PM

Under the tank, just above the spark plug, there are two 6 pin connectors, one white, one clear. It's the grey wire in the clear connector. It should be in the center. Carefully separate the connectors, and, using a small screwdriver to unlock the pin for the grey wire, pull the pin out of the connector. reconnect the connectors. I put a little rtv in the hole left by the pin so no water can get into the plug. This wire normally goes to ground, if it shorts out while you are riding, it won't effect any thing, but, I taped mine up anyway. The alternate map will only be used after the bike is shut off, and restarted. Happy rippin'! :)

• paparick33

Posted April 11, 2003 - 04:50 AM

Thanx for all the help folks...it was the gas and the spark plug was fouled. One kick and she started!!!

A note for the people doing grey wire mods:

02 WR426F has a 2 wire connector with a black and a gray wire, in a black molex connector.

The 6-wire connector is for the 03 WR450F...and maybe some others.

• MorrisWR

Posted April 11, 2003 - 05:38 AM

paparick,

Best to drain the gas or you can use a fuel stabilizer. I use Stabil in all my gas cans, mower, motorcycles, weedeater, etc. They can sit for months without the gas going bad. It's pretty cheap on the net also.

• MorrisWR

Posted April 11, 2003 - 05:46 AM

Old gas gets water in it from the air. There is probably some breakdown as well.

As for the gray wire, you guys need to specify your bike. The gray wire is in a 6 pin connector on the 450's but on the 426 it's in a 2 pin connector (one gray wire, one black). It's pretty easy since it's the only gray wire in any of the connectors on that part of the bike. It's on the throttle/spark plug side of the bike on a 426 next to the frame under the tank. Like someone said, just pop it out of the connector with a small screwdriver. I just used electrical tape to seal the connectors. Works well.

• lewichris

Posted April 11, 2003 - 09:18 AM

LOL you will get a kick out of this on.

I use all that old gas for my wifes XR and for the lawn mower. Works great in both. To me that is a bit funny. So dont throw away the old gas just use it in something different. I forgot to winterize my wifes bike this past winter. IT sat for 6 months. It started on the 12th kick. How nice is that.

Chris

• lewichris

Posted April 11, 2003 - 09:18 AM

LOL you will get a kick out of this on.

I use all that old gas for my wifes XR and for the lawn mower. Works great in both. To me that is a bit funny. So dont throw away the old gas just use it in something different. I forgot to winterize my wifes bike this past winter. IT sat for 6 months. It started on the 12th kick. How nice is that.

Chris :)

• MorrisWR

Posted April 11, 2003 - 09:54 AM

Hehe, dude you must not like yer wife much to trash her bike. Seriously, old gas ain't too good on engines.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.